Satellite Internet

G

I live in the county and have no option of DSL. I am planning to get a satellite for internet connection thru DIRECWAY. I belive what they call it is DIRECPC. Has anyone heard of this and if so what kind of bandwidth can i expect on up and down loads.
Thanx in advance

I didnt do it

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Satellite Internet is relatively fast but latency will be very high.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Last time I check into satellite internet you could get great download speeds but uploading was via a 56k modem. It's been awhile but I assume it hasn't changed. I've heard it's pretty good for surfing but sucks for anything more than that. I decided to stick with the old 56k.

<A HREF="http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=510E6639-84A1-465D-A914-07BDB039E379" target="_new">UD</A>

G

would you happen to know what the connection I could expect on download. Also you are correct on the uploading. I will still use my ISP for uploading and the satellite for down loading. I have been to MANY sites including DIRECWAY's and they can only tell me that I will recieve upwards of 400kbps. I am curious as to if anyone knows an actual speed since we all know you never get what they say.

By the way I only connect at 28,000 here in the county thats why i chose not to keep the 56k. All i use internet for is basically browsing

G

Yes.. Your satelite connection would give you a 400 KB bandwidth for downloading. Say if you are playing ever quest, the downloading of data is very much better than an ordinary 56K line. So I say go for it.