Expensive 17" or Cheapest 19"?

vasanx

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2004
I decided to revive my plan of changing my 1998 15" CRT but it's hampered by this dilemma.

Do i get a 17" CRT that is the top of the line of its price range or get a 19" CRT which is the cheapest of its category with a 17" price.

I'm tempted by the size, and forgive me if i'm being naive but is there really anything to a CRT beside the flatness and screen size?

What would i be possibly losing by going for the 19"?
And what about CRTs with a slimmer built, any advantage besides the obvious one?

Please do enlighten.

Athlon XP 2200+, MSI K7N2 Delta-L MCP2, 256 PC2700 DDR 333, MSI NVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 bit, Realtek ALC650 6-channel audio, Maxtor 40GB.

RichPLS

Champion
Depends. The smallest I would use is 19", but I still want sharpness, clarity, 1280x1024 res minimum and good color.
If the cheaper one has this, go for it.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Like Rich said, go for at least a 19". You can get a Samsung CRT monitor for not alot of money. Alot cheaper then paying for a LCD.

It might depend on what you are using the monitor for. If you are doing graphic work you want a good quality CRT. The prices on CRTs are low, so it is a good time to buy. If you are just doing gaming, web surfing, basic office applications and etc, a good 200-300 USD CRT monitor is a good choice.

You can get a good quality 19-22" CRT for cheap nowadays sence LCDs are so trendy.

Until my CTRs blowup, I won't be switching to LCD or whatever. Maybe a holographic display.hehe

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Going from 15" (I did 14") to 19" is great. Don't bother with 17" unless you really are limited by space or you don't use the computer very often or for very long. You have to figure that the monitor is the one part of the computer that lasts the longest and makes the biggest impression. I don't care how fast a PC is, if you're running a small monitor it's no fun.

<pre><font color=red>Stats Unavailable - Computer system stolen by Wusy</pre><p>