Your question

Two sizes on one harddrive

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
March 20, 2010 6:02:45 PM

This is a problem that, according to a lot of technicians including Microsoft, can't exist. I wish they were right, but I hope someone here can help me.

----- This is my computer -----

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
6 gig RAM
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

----- This is my problem -----

My old harddisk (a 1 TB Seagate) went belly up, and I installed the system and all of my software on a brand new 1 TB Seagate harddrive, identical to the dead one. After some time I discovered a curiosity: the harddrive has two different sizes at the same time.
I've never had any problems and therefore I'm still using it, but I want to know if it is possible to correct the problem without having to start from the beginning, wiping and installing everything from scratch.

As you can the in the picture:

(1). The system (including bios) correctly identifies the harddisk as a harddrive with 931,51 GB. There are two partitions: the Win7 reserved 100 MB and the rest 931,41 GB is a single partition. Therefore everything looks correct where I've marked the picture with the number 1.

(2). Above, by my number 2 marking, the two partitions are shown. The system reserved one and the C-partitions which is... 482,88 GB. It's supposed to be 931,41 GB. I have no no clue how or when this happened, or what to do about it.

----- What I have done -----

* Checked for an upgraded bios but here were none.

* Change the size of the partition, but the system wont allow that. The system says I can shrink it by 4 GB, but when I try that (trying to force a "recount" of the disk space) the system doesn't allow it.

* Defragging and make a disc check (done when the system starts), both make without errors but no change in partition size.

* Repaired/made a new MBR. No change.

What can I do to actually use the complete harddisk without having to wipe everything and make a complete reinstall?

More about : sizes harddrive

a b $ Windows 7
March 20, 2010 6:30:43 PM

Run command prompt as administrator and run "chkdsk c: /f" to see if anything is being misreported, you will probably need a restart.
m
l
March 20, 2010 7:01:57 PM

das_stig said:
Run command prompt as administrator and run "chkdsk c: /f" to see if anything is being misreported, you will probably need a restart.

Now I've tried that, and there's no change. 4 bad clusters, but nothing out of the ordinary.
m
l
May 25, 2012 12:15:53 AM

I know this is an old post, but I came across the same issue today. If you insert a linux distro bootable cd (i used ubuntu) and use ntfsresize you can simply resize the partition to take up the whole disk.

ntfsresize <partition>
it will scan and ask if you want to utilize the whole disk hit (y)
reboot and all should be good.

So if anyone else has landed on this page hope it helps:D 
m
l
!