Probelm Accessing Slave Drive

July 18, 2005 3:09:02 PM

All - I have installed my friends XP professional HD from his "dead" computer
as a slave drive in my XP profiessional computer. I can see it from windows
explorer, but I cannot find any files on the slave drive. I do a search for
any *.doc, *.xls, and *.pst and it returns nothing. I am not receiving any
error messages when I try to open folders. I am logged in as an Admin, and
even more confusing is that I cannot see a folder called "Microsoft Office"
anywhere. Has anyone come across this problem? Thank you in advance for
your help.

Joel
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:20:35 AM

"Joel" <Joel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All - I have installed my friends XP professional HD from his "dead"
> computer
> as a slave drive in my XP profiessional computer. I can see it from
> windows
> explorer, but I cannot find any files on the slave drive. I do a search
> for
> any *.doc, *.xls, and *.pst and it returns nothing. I am not receiving
> any
> error messages when I try to open folders. I am logged in as an Admin,
> and
> even more confusing is that I cannot see a folder called "Microsoft
> Office"
> anywhere. Has anyone come across this problem? Thank you in advance for
> your help.
>
> Joel

You need to enter the same disk parameters that he had for the disk in his
BIOS into yours. #(cylinders, heads etc). They are usually autodetected now
and don't often cause problems, but it's worth checking. The drive may have
been set manually with different parameters. Try the drive on the other IDE
channel- some drives aren't happy co-existing with other makes- Fuji drives
used to be like this- preferably an IDE channel with no other drives.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:20:36 AM

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
news:D bh1lo$4bm$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "Joel" <Joel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > All - I have installed my friends XP professional HD from his "dead"
> > computer
> > as a slave drive in my XP profiessional computer. I can see it from
> > windows
> > explorer, but I cannot find any files on the slave drive. I do a search
> > for
> > any *.doc, *.xls, and *.pst and it returns nothing. I am not receiving
> > any
> > error messages when I try to open folders. I am logged in as an Admin,
> > and
> > even more confusing is that I cannot see a folder called "Microsoft
> > Office"
> > anywhere. Has anyone come across this problem? Thank you in advance
for
> > your help.
> >
> > Joel
>
> You need to enter the same disk parameters that he had for the disk in his
> BIOS into yours. #(cylinders, heads etc). They are usually autodetected
now
> and don't often cause problems, but it's worth checking. The drive may
have
> been set manually with different parameters. Try the drive on the other
IDE
> channel- some drives aren't happy co-existing with other makes- Fuji
drives
> used to be like this- preferably an IDE channel with no other drives.

Also, some drives have different jumper positions for Master by itself
and Master with another drive (don't remember which ones). Check
that to make sure your master does not need to have a jumper changed
to allow a second drive (also make sure you are using either CS or M/S
on both drives as appropriate for your system).

mikey
!