16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

i dont know why but i am trying to run a program for insurance rates and it
wont run i keep getting a popup for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NET. The
system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. What do i have to
do for this to work? Please me specficate(sp) with instructions.

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

lostttt wrote:

> i dont know why but i am trying to run a program for insurance rates and it
> wont run i keep getting a popup for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NET. The
> system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
> applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. What do i have to
> do for this to work? Please me specficate(sp) with instructions.
Hi,

Your autoexec.nt problem is most likely caused by a worm or if you have
WinXP SP2 and AVAST (antivirus software) installed, it also can cause
this error.

To solve the problem:

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
Windows-based program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

Alternatively:

You can put back the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by
copying a backup copy held in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
(%windir% is typically C:\Windows) instead of using the procedure in
the KB article above (see further down for instructions on how).

Could be caused a trojan or something similar, e.g.
TrojanDownloader.Win32.Dia.a, more about this here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618.749324fe%40posting.google.com

Also, AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you
have WinXP SP2 installed:
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRVn-gQ%40comcast.com

If you want to copy the file from the repair folder, you can use
this procedure:

Open a command prompt, using e.g. Start/Run --> cmd.exe

In the command prompt, type in the following two commands exactly as
you see them in this post (you need to press enter for each command
to execute them):

cd /d %windir%
copy repair\autoexec.nt system32\*.*

Here is a "screen dump" from how it looks when I do it on my computer:

C:\>cd /d %windir%

C:\WINDOWS>copy repair\autoexec.nt system32\*.*
1 file(s) copied.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: