16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

i dont know why but i am trying to run a program for insurance rates and it
wont run i keep getting a popup for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NET. The
system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. What do i have to
do for this to work? Please me specficate(sp) with instructions.
2 answers Last reply
More about subsystem

    Hi

    Please see if the following article helps:

    "Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    lostttt wrote:

    > i dont know why but i am trying to run a program for insurance rates and it
    > wont run i keep getting a popup for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NET. The
    > system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
    > applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. What do i have to
    > do for this to work? Please me specficate(sp) with instructions.
    Hi,

    Your autoexec.nt problem is most likely caused by a worm or if you have
    WinXP SP2 and AVAST (antivirus software) installed, it also can cause
    this error.

    To solve the problem:

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
    Windows-based program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    Alternatively:

    You can put back the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by
    copying a backup copy held in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
    (%windir% is typically C:\Windows) instead of using the procedure in
    the KB article above (see further down for instructions on how).

    Could be caused a trojan or something similar, e.g.
    TrojanDownloader.Win32.Dia.a, more about this here:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618.749324fe%40posting.google.com

    Also, AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you
    have WinXP SP2 installed:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRVn-gQ%40comcast.com

    If you want to copy the file from the repair folder, you can use
    this procedure:

    Open a command prompt, using e.g. Start/Run --> cmd.exe

    In the command prompt, type in the following two commands exactly as
    you see them in this post (you need to press enter for each command
    to execute them):

    cd /d %windir%
    copy repair\autoexec.nt system32\*.*

    Here is a "screen dump" from how it looks when I do it on my computer:

    C:\>cd /d %windir%

    C:\WINDOWS>copy repair\autoexec.nt system32\*.*
    1 file(s) copied.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

MS-DOS Microsoft Windows XP