Dell Dimension 8400 wont boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handyost

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I have a dell dimension 8400. when i turn it on the cpu cooling fan comes on and sounds like it wants to take off. Nothing else happens. The monitor stays black.
Further to this problem.
I checked the power supply with a multimeter and it seems to be good. All the recommended voltages were where they should have been.
The four lights on the back A B C D are all off.
The 3 lights on the keyboard flash on and off when i turn it on.
Can someone out there please help.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
I have a dell dimension 8400. when i turn it on the cpu cooling fan comes on and sounds like it wants to take off. Nothing else happens. The monitor stays black.
Further to this problem.
I checked the power supply with a multimeter and it seems to be good. All the recommended voltages were where they should have been.

You might try mounting a different drive in C:, then booting from your install CD. If you get the same, likely some hardware problem.

Handyost

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I couldnt do that. I cannot even get to the CMOS menu as there is nothing on the monitor. As I said in the beginning all that happens is that the CPU cooling fan works nothing else

kirby34

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Further to this problem.

Let me guess - the light on the power button also stays a steady yellow/amber? If so, your system is showing the EXACT same symptoms as my 8400 just started showing on Monday. Usually, if it was the PSU, the power light would be blinking yellow/amber instead of being steady on. After doing some reading at the Dell forums, I'm pretty sure it's the mobo that's died, so since mine is out of warranty, I went ahead and ordered an OEM replacement from a 3rd party and it should arrive tomorrow.

If I have time before I have to go to work, I'll install it, see if it takes care of the problem, and post here with the results.

kirby34

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Well, unfortunately, replacing the mobo didn't seem to work. I was cautious to the point that after putting in the new mobo, the only 2 things I put on it before powering up were the CPU and the CPU fan. The result was the same - the power LED was steady yellow/amber, the CPU fan spooled up to hyperspeed, no HD activity or video output, and the 4 status LED's on the back of the case did not light up at all. So, I didn't bother connecting anything else.

I also purchased a new power supply (470W Silencer 470) and tried that with the same results.

I think the only other culprit could be the CPU and, at this point, I'm undecided if I'm going to bother replacing that. I might just buy a barebones system and move my peripherals over instead. :?

Handyost

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Thats bad news. I was hoping for your sake and mine that the new mobo would have been the fix. I might follow your lead and go via the barebones idea.

pstruhs

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I've had a similar issue to yours. I noticed one morning that my machine's cd lights, power etc were all blinking.

I unplugged the machine and plugged it back in, when I did, the fan was superspeed, and smoke came out the back, and there was a burnt smell. After reading Dell's forums, several other people had the same issue and noticed their MB p2 connector ( next to the processor is burnt, and also the power supply connector that plugs in.

I've replaced MB and PSU, but now the diagnostics show a bad cpu.

I believe dell has a serious issue with this connector, but their tech support will not escalate this. I am concerned about the safety of this MB/PSU. My computer didn't catch fire, but I don't know if that is because I was there to unplug it.

Please check your p2 connector to see if your connector is also burnt. I'm trying to get someone at dell to look into this more closely, so that this doesn't seriously harm someone or their property.

thanks, Patrick

kirby34

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Just for additional info, I did not have any indications of overheating or smoke or any other problems. I had just started playing a game and everything froze on the screen and since nothing else was working, I powered off. I turned it back on and it did boot up and I was able to log onto XP, but just as it got to the desktop, it froze again. I turned it off and back on, but this time the screen stayed dark, the CPU fan went into hyperspeed, and power button stayed steady yellow/amber and that was it - no HD activity and the 4 status LED's on the back of the case never came on.

The very first thing I did was remove the the Radeon X800 XL card I'd been using for over a year and put back in the X300 that came with the system, but that obviously didn't work. I then started removing/disconnecting stuff one-by-one, trying to power up in between each time, and obviously that didn't work either. That's when I started checking the forums and thought that replacing the mobo would work.

In any case, I've since inspected the original mobo and there aren't any outward physical signs of anything being burnt out. The capacitors aren't bulging and there aren't any dark spots on the back side of the board.

I may have a line on getting a functioning P4 540 (3.2 GHz) CPU from someone to at least see if that works in the new mobo, but I'm not sure yet. Of course, if I'm able to get it, I'll post the results.

kirby34

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Just an update. It turns out my problem was the CPU. I was able to borrow a P4 530 (3.0 GHz) and placed it in with the "new" mobo I had purchased and the computer fired up fine. I took a chance (since it was a borrowed CPU) and put the CPU in the original mobo and it also worked there.

So, I went ahead and bought a P4 541 (3.2 GHz with EM64T technology) and I've put that it in the original mobo and everything is working fine. I've also went ahead and replaced the original 350W PSU with the Silencer 470W that I had, though that required some modification to the rear of the tower to accomodate the AC outlet which is below the opening for the OEM PSU.

Hope you get your problem fixed.

(Edited to change MHz to GHz - sort of a big difference...oops)

Handyost

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I bought a USED Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz 541 800mhz SL8J2 LGA 775 CPU and it didnt change the situation.
I then bought a Gigabyte MOBO GA-81865GME-775-RH ( to upgrade my own PC from a socket 478 to a 775) and that way i could test the CPU i had bought and it worked for a couple of hours. I then put the original Dell CPU into the new MOBO and have been running it for the last 12 hours straight. Nothing wrong with the original Dell CPU.
Looks like it must be the Dell MOBO.

Handyost

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I did'nt buy a dell, it's my eldest daughters, I would'nt have one if they gave it to me, just trying to help her out of a mess.I told her to get rid of it, I guess she will when she has some spare cash.
regards Henry

Handyost

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Well the problem has been solved. I found a MOBO on ebay for
AU$33.08 and fixed it. Thanks for all who tried to help.

Emraith

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
very strange..I just setup my dell 8400 again and had this exact same problem.. I stopped using this dell about a week ago when the parts came for my new computer. This computer was working perfectly fine, no freezes, lockups or random reboots, for about 2 years..then today, dead

tommygrime

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
IV'E HAD THIS PROBLEM LATE DECEMBER 2006 - IT'S THE POWER SUPPLY DELL CHECKED EVERYTHIN THEY SAID EVERYTHINGS FINE, THEY CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY IN THE SYSTEM AN NOW ITS FINE AN THIS WAS HAPPENING FOR OVER A YEAR. THANKS.

Emraith

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
lol, so, 3 people with similar problem.. tommygrime's problem was the powersupply, Handyost's problem was the motherboard, and kirby34's probelm was the cpu.. think we've just determined the problem..dell=crap heh. Thanks for posting your guys findings here though, might end up getting mine up and running eventually

stryke297

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I have a Dell 8400, had it for about 2 years. I am experiencing the same problem as you had. My computer did overheat it was running at like 160 degrees F. When I look at the lights on the back A is amber, B is green, C is amber, D is green. Occasionally I can get it to start up and it runs fine I have the tower open and settings for performance instead of quality. Except this time when I powered it down I haven't been able to get it to restart.

BrianP

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
Well mine jsut died, took about a week doign funny things, blue screen, then the video woudl go blank, turned it off and restart it woudl come back on but then die a hour later. then it just did nto come on other than the lights, switched out the power supply and nothing, switched out with a OEm dell 8400 same motherboard and nothing, did th ememory thing and nothing...so guess it is the CPU. Funny thing is the dell power supply would just swin up and whien at high pitch. what a waist, 4 months short of 2 years and a dead computer.

PyroFreak

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
This exact same problem happened to me, and I've looked around and there is no definate cause for this as far as i can tell.

The weird thing is that my computer will start up every now and again and act perfectly normal (all be it very rarely), but most of the time it goes crazy on me.

There is one solution to this that involves going into BIOS... which may or may not be possible for you.

http://www.talkaboutcomputing.com/group/alt.sys.pc-clone.dell/messages/279431.html

I have not tried it personally, but I will as soon as I get it to boot up, and post back here to let you know how it goes.

EDIT: After about 6 attempts, i got the computer to boot without fan frenzy, went into BIOS, changed the settings, it booted up seemingly fine. But as soon as i loaded my profile, it crashed, only to go into fan frenzy when i tried booting again.

So i think it is safe to assume it is definitely a hardware fault causing it, and i'll see if i can get dell to send over some replacment parts (what ever part actually needs replacing)

darkmuncan

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Had the problem today with a refurb I bought. Same problem as mentioned earlier. Symptoms are sudden hangs with the inability to restart/shutoff PC by holding power button, can only shutdown by removing power cable afterwhich the computer may or may no boot up. The 2x2 connector on the motherboard was also singed on two pins as well as the power lead connector. It seems the PC will only do this after being powered up for a few hours or when it attempts to enter a different power state. Seems to be the power supply causing the problem. I can see how over time with these power surges that it could damage the CPU and the motherboard as well as other components.

Status
Not open for further replies.