Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I had a problem in that I suddenly couldn't send out any emails, could
recieve them fine. As last resort went to MS help and decided to reinstall
IE6 & OE6. I made the changes to the registry as outlined, but when I try
to re-install, it says there is a newer version already on the pc. SO, I
uninstalled IE6 from the control panel, but it still says that there is a
newer version installed.........

What do I do ?????????

How do I repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_ie_reinstall.htm

[Courtesy of Doug Knox, MS-MVP]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"BOB" wrote:

| I had a problem in that I suddenly couldn't send out any emails, could
| recieve them fine. As last resort went to MS help and decided to reinstall
| IE6 & OE6. I made the changes to the registry as outlined, but when I try
| to re-install, it says there is a newer version already on the pc. SO, I
| uninstalled IE6 from the control panel, but it still says that there is a
| newer version installed.........
|
| What do I do ?????????

> I had a problem in that I suddenly couldn't send out any emails...

What happened when you tried? Post any error messages in their entirety.
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Inside Outlook Express
http://www.insideoe.com

BOB wrote:
> I had a problem in that I suddenly couldn't send out any emails, could
> recieve them fine. As last resort went to MS help and decided to
> reinstall
> IE6 & OE6. I made the changes to the registry as outlined, but when I
> try
> to re-install, it says there is a newer version already on the pc. SO, I
> uninstalled IE6 from the control panel, but it still says that there is
> newer version installed.........
>
> What do I do ?????????

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well,, this was an exercise in windows futility..........

I uninstalled IE 6 and OE 6 as outlined @ MS help, couldn't reinstall them,
ran a script from a web-site provided above, and am now back where I was.
Even the emails are still there ???????

THIS IS THE PROBLEM;

When I try to send an email, or respond to one I get this error.

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Bob @nac', Server:
'localhost', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 7362, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:
10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I disconnected the router and plugged directly into the modem, I don't have
any firewall running, scanned for spy & viruses. This started suddenly on
Sunday....

??????????

"PA Bear" wrote:

> > I had a problem in that I suddenly couldn't send out any emails...
>
> What happened when you tried? Post any error messages in their entirety.
> --
> OE6-specific newsgroup:
> OE General newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
>
> Inside Outlook Express
> http://www.insideoe.com
>
> BOB wrote:
> > I had a problem in that I suddenly couldn't send out any emails, could
> > recieve them fine. As last resort went to MS help and decided to
> > reinstall
> > IE6 & OE6. I made the changes to the registry as outlined, but when I
> > try
> > to re-install, it says there is a newer version already on the pc. SO, I
> > uninstalled IE6 from the control panel, but it still says that there is
> > newer version installed.........
> >
> > What do I do ?????????

First of all:

> ...I don't have any firewall running...

Make sure the Windows Firewall is enabled, please.

9 times out of 10, simply disabling scanning of outgoing mail by your
anti-virus application cures the sending problem. I suggest also disabling
scanning of incoming mail, too, as it can lead to similar problems and even
corruption of your message store. It provides no additional protection and
even Symantec says it's not necessary:

<quote>
Disabling email protection does not leave you vulnerable to viruses and
malicious software in email. It is a separate layer of protection in
addition to Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect scans any incoming files, including
email, as they are saved to your hard drive. As long as you keep your virus
definitions up to date with LiveUpdate, and keep Auto-Protect enabled and
set to scan files as they are created or downloaded, your system is fully
protected.
</quote>
From the Symantec page http://snipurl.com/bmf6

Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using OL and OE
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

For the other 10%, usually we find that the scanning has damaged the current
identity, especially if its the default Main Identity. Try one or more of
your accounts in a new Named Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity).
Assuming all is well, import messages from the old Identity before deleting
it (File>Identities>Manage Identities).

OE Caveats:

Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

If WinXP SP2, don't attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown the
machine while Automatic Compacting is taking place.
--

BOB wrote:
> Well,, this was an exercise in windows futility..........
>
> I uninstalled IE 6 and OE 6 as outlined @ MS help, couldn't reinstall
> them,
> ran a script from a web-site provided above, and am now back where I was.
> Even the emails are still there ???????
>
> THIS IS THE PROBLEM;
>
> When I try to send an email, or respond to one I get this error.
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Bob @nac', Server:
> 'localhost', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 7362, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:
> 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> I disconnected the router and plugged directly into the modem, I don't
> have
> any firewall running, scanned for spy & viruses. This started suddenly on
> Sunday....
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
>>> I had a problem in that I suddenly couldn't send out any emails...
>>
>> What happened when you tried? Post any error messages in their entirety.
>> --
>> OE6-specific newsgroup:
>> OE General newsgroup:
>>
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
>>
>> Inside Outlook Express
>> http://www.insideoe.com
>>
>> BOB wrote:
>>> I had a problem in that I suddenly couldn't send out any emails, could
>>> recieve them fine. As last resort went to MS help and decided to
>>> reinstall
>>> IE6 & OE6. I made the changes to the registry as outlined, but when I
>>> try
>>> to re-install, it says there is a newer version already on the pc. SO,
>>> uninstalled IE6 from the control panel, but it still says that there
>>> is
>>> newer version installed.........
>>>
>>> What do I do ?????????

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Went thru resetting OE , added new user etc, disabled AV and anti spy,
still no change.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> [...]
> > ran a script from a web-site provided above, and am now back where I was.
> > Even the emails are still there ???????
> >
> > THIS IS THE PROBLEM;
> >
> > When I try to send an email, or respond to one I get this error.
> >
> > The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Bob @nac', Server:
> > 'localhost', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 7362, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:
> > 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
> >
> > I disconnected the router and plugged directly into the modem, I don't
> > have
> > any firewall running, scanned for spy & viruses. This started suddenly on
> > Sunday....

> >> What happened when you tried? Post any error messages in their entirety.
> >> --
> >> OE6-specific newsgroup:
> >> OE General newsgroup:
> >>
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Nothing in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514 helps?

Did you try the account in a new Named Identity in the current (Windows)
User Account? ...in a new or other (Windows) User Account? ...connected
directly, w/out using the router?
--
~PA Bear