Seeking Napoleonic Armies Single Volume Ref.

I have all the Ospreys... what I don't have anymore is the memory that I used
to have about things Napoleonic.
What I want now is a handy (preferrably small and easy to handle) single volume
reference in which I can find out all about the organizations and strengths of
all the Napoleonic armies of the european continent (though I wouldn't complain
if the US for the war of 1812 was included therein..).
It could be something new or it could be a used book. All I'd like is title
and/or author of such a book..

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike
4 answers Last reply
More about seeking napoleonic armies single volume
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "Mike Parrott" <mparrott429@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
    > I have all the Ospreys... what I don't have anymore is the memory that I
    used
    > to have about things Napoleonic.
    > What I want now is a handy (preferrably small and easy to handle) single
    volume
    > reference in which I can find out all about the organizations and
    strengths of
    > all the Napoleonic armies of the european continent (though I wouldn't
    complain
    > if the US for the war of 1812 was included therein..).
    > It could be something new or it could be a used book. All I'd like is
    title
    > and/or author of such a book..
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    I remember lots of wargamers painting their Empire III armies from Fred and
    Liliane Funcken "Arms and Uniforms: the Napoleonic Wars". It's two volumes
    and dates to the 1970s, but the French language edition might still be in
    print.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    ?? Maybe the Pivka book on armies of the Napoleonic Period.

    mjc

    Mike Parrott wrote:
    > I have all the Ospreys... what I don't have anymore is the memory that I used
    > to have about things Napoleonic.
    > What I want now is a handy (preferrably small and easy to handle) single volume
    > reference in which I can find out all about the organizations and strengths of
    > all the Napoleonic armies of the european continent (though I wouldn't complain
    > if the US for the war of 1812 was included therein..).
    > It could be something new or it could be a used book. All I'd like is title
    > and/or author of such a book..
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Mike Parrott <mparrott429@aol.comnospam> wrote:
    >I have all the Ospreys... what I don't have anymore is the memory that I used
    >to have about things Napoleonic.
    >What I want now is a handy (preferrably small and easy to handle) single volume
    >reference in which I can find out all about the organizations and strengths of
    >all the Napoleonic armies of the european continent (though I wouldn't complain
    >if the US for the war of 1812 was included therein..).
    >It could be something new or it could be a used book. All I'd like is title
    >and/or author of such a book..
    >
    >Any thoughts?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Mike

    Hi Mike,

    Actually, there are a few books out there that meet you need. However,
    most are out of print and very hard to find. But there is hope. The
    Pivka books have been reprinted. Sorry, now that George is no longer
    hinding in secret, guess we can't call them Pivka books. I recommend:
    Armies of the Napoleonic Era
    by Digby George Smith
    He also wrote:
    Navies of the Napoleonic Era
    by Digby George Smith

    -Ray
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Irving Horowitz <zippy@fuse.net> wrote:
    >"Mike Parrott" <mparrott429@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
    >> I have all the Ospreys... what I don't have anymore is the memory that I
    >used
    >> to have about things Napoleonic.
    >> What I want now is a handy (preferrably small and easy to handle) single
    >volume
    >> reference in which I can find out all about the organizations and
    >strengths of
    >> all the Napoleonic armies of the european continent (though I wouldn't
    >complain
    >> if the US for the war of 1812 was included therein..).
    >> It could be something new or it could be a used book. All I'd like is
    >title
    >> and/or author of such a book..
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >
    >I remember lots of wargamers painting their Empire III armies from Fred and
    >Liliane Funcken "Arms and Uniforms: the Napoleonic Wars". It's two volumes
    >and dates to the 1970s, but the French language edition might still be in
    >print.

    The Funcken books you speak of above are more useful with it comes to
    uniforms as they talk little about the organizations of the units. Great
    color plates and a useful source for the miniature gamer. Not overly
    detailed because the two volumes cover a LOT of countries and there are
    a lot of color plates.

    If anyone is interested, I do have one extra set of the Funcken books in
    very good condition I'm willing to sell. Its the hardbound english
    version edition. Not softbound or French.

    -Ray

Video Games