What laptop should I buy ? (Cheers Maziar for the template)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kt121

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
1_What is your budget?
£450 (i live in the UK)
2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
At least 15.6 -17 inch . Weight not a problem .Id rather have a screen with this screen thingy like CrystalBrite (Acer) or TruBrite (Toshiba)

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Any as long as its of at least medium quality.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
As long as it meets other reqiurments i dont care.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Any , at least 1 hour , maybe 2.Not an important factor.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Fallout 3
Elder scroles oblivion
Medievil total war 2
All on a mixture of medium/low , the higher the better

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
surfing the web, playing music, watching movies

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
at least 250 , id like 320 or more ,but then its not a gigantic factor only a medium one

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Any as long as they are not second hand sites, may consider refurbished but would rather go brand new.
Have to be available to the Uk , without large post and packaging cost.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possable at least 5 years.

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
At least 3GB af RAM (i seen laptops that can be expanded up to 8GB of RAM , if this is handy for keeping it going in the future when stuff becomes more demanding then i wouldnt mind having it , But only if possiable under my price) Dual core , at least 2.1 GHz want the best as possible.(under my funds)
Graphics card important.Wifi enabled important.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No mac or sony .Mac because of compatability and sony because i heard they were bad.
Dont mind as long as you know they are reliable if not please tell me.
Like acer and toshiba (if you know they are not reliable please tell me)
13_What country do you live in?
England , UK

Basically if it can play the games in question and its in my budget then i dont care.

Cheers and Maziar thanks for the template.All help is highly appreciated.

No problem mate :) here is a good deal:
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asp/versions.asp?rewrite=Acer_Aspire_5738Z_Laptop_LX.PAR0X.125&pagetype=version&page=

How ever in terms of gaming it won't perform very well,u have to play with low settings,have u find any options yourself ?
Because the best thing i could find was this one

kt121

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Could this handle Fallout 3
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-L500D-11R/1070631/ConceptualReturn/TIU_HOME_COMPUTING/toshibaShop/true/

Well the toshiba model has a HD 3200 which is slightly faster than the X4500,but the Acer model has a slightly faster CPU,so the difference won't be much,so i say go for the toshiba model which u linked

kt121

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Would Fallout 3 work on medium to low graphics and if not if i upgraded the RAM would it work ?
Its has the HD 3200 , are all models of this Hypershare or only the ones stated in the Tech Spec ?
Cheers.

Upgrading the RAM won't help much because 4GB is enough,u can run it low settings(some settings on medim).
Well the model u posted has a HD 3200 which is shared i don't know about other models because u didn't post any other links

kt121

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
well i maybe able to increse my budget from £450 to £500.Would you be able to find me a laptop able to play fallout 3 on medium ?

whizbang09

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
hi! if its for Gaming, then you have to be thinking of a Nvidia graphics card and maybe a Dell system, but dell always build their system with Intel and which is very poor. and its stronger and it will last for a long time.

kt121

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
what about this one , in my budget and dedicated graphics .

Processor
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology TL-62 / 2.1 GHz
Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core
64-bit Computing Yes
Chipset Type NVIDIA nForce 630M
Cache Memory
Type L2 Cache
Installed Size 1 MB
RAM
Installed Size 3 GB / 4 GB (max)
Technology DDR2 SDRAM
Form Factor SO DIMM 200-pin

Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS TurboCache supporting 1280MB
Video Memory 512 MB
Max Allocated RAM Size 768 MB

kt121

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009

Ye but someone told me in another thread AFTER i brought it that the graphics card is a dud and loads of them break. So im screwed. :cry:

kt121

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
no not yet ive only played on a game for about ten minutes.Nvidia released a driver that increased the fan speeds.Do the drivers get updated with the windows updates or do i have to go to the nvidia website directly ? Oh and it does play medievil total war 2 on high with relatvley no lag.I also get a free .
windows 7 update .

one thing though , on the website ,the box and the sticker on the laptop it says that the cpu is 2.1GHz but the actual laptop , on the system screen it says it is 2.2 GHz .which one is write ? , i should imagine the 2.2GHz because its on the actual laptop
the model is AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology TL-64.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS