Tonka

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
I'm trying to understand the basic's of hotswap/plug scsi drives, I keep finding, refer to "Paralan's white paper"
I was hoping someone might be able to hook me up with a link or point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Tonka

jim552

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
It would seem the "paralan's white paper" that you are finding references to would be from the "paralan.com" website.

Where I on that site? (Likely somewhere under "scsi info" and then the "whitepaper link")
I don't know, there are a bunch of things there though that may help out.

I am not so sure why you are finding references for them as the "definitive information trove for SCSI", but maybe they are?

They have been around for awhile, but then again Seagate was who made SCSI in the first place. (Albiet it has morphed considerably since it's inception, and technically it was the "basis of SCSI" that Seagate created.)

Most SCSI solutions that will be faster than current SATA solutions will also be "appreciably" more money?

Have fun.....

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The main difference is that hotswappable scsi drives come with one large 80pin interface. Regular scsi drives have a 68pin interface and a regular molex power connection. 80pin hotswappable drives mate with a backplane inside whatever sort of hard drive cage you are using. The backplane will have a 68pin scsi connection (to hook up to a controller) and several molex power connections. The hard drives are mounted to the specific hard drive sled for that cage and are then simply slid/locked into place. Pretty much all high end servers employ this.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>