Windows Explorer Encounters problems, OCA says its Purstiu.A

July 18, 2005 5:00:02 PM

Each time I open My computer and double click on an HDD or other folder it
opens but immediatly says that Windows Explorer as encountered a problem and
needs to close, I then send the error report and provides me with a link to
something that will prevent it from happening again. On the Online Crash
Analysis website it says the problem was caused by a virus called
TrojanDownloader:Win32/Purstiu.A and that I should run the Malicious Software
Removal Tool, but it says that my PC is completely clean. I also scaned my PC
with an up-to-date version of Trend Micro PC-cillin, and it also came out
clean. I then tried to find out about the virus but sevral searches on Google
gave me abselutely no results. I also tried Trend Micro, Sophos and Norton's
websites and gave me no result.

The problem occurs each time after I open any Explorer window and from there
go into another folder.

Please Help, these constant errors are driveing me nuts!!!

P.S I havent installed any new software for at least three days before the
problem started.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 8:26:52 PM

Use:

AD Aware SE 1.06
Spybot: Search and Destroy 1.4

with all updates adn in "safe mode".

Most anti-virus utilities still do not handle spywares correctly (Trojans
are on category of spywares).

"TianS" <TianS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Each time I open My computer and double click on an HDD or other folder it
> opens but immediatly says that Windows Explorer as encountered a problem
> and
> needs to close, I then send the error report and provides me with a link
> something that will prevent it from happening again. On the Online Crash
> Analysis website it says the problem was caused by a virus called
> TrojanDownloader:Win32/Purstiu.A and that I should run the Malicious
> Software
> Removal Tool, but it says that my PC is completely clean. I also scaned my
> PC
> with an up-to-date version of Trend Micro PC-cillin, and it also came out
> clean. I then tried to find out about the virus but sevral searches on
> Google
> gave me abselutely no results. I also tried Trend Micro, Sophos and
> Norton's
> websites and gave me no result.
>
> The problem occurs each time after I open any Explorer window and from
> there
> go into another folder.
>
> Please Help, these constant errors are driveing me nuts!!!
>
> P.S I havent installed any new software for at least three days before the
> problem started.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:29:30 AM

Download, install, update and run all of the following.

Ad-Aware

Spybot search and destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)

a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
it can be analyzed.

HijackThis

!