john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On occasion I find I can not close folders or some applications and OE as
well. I would have a folder open but the top line that should be blue is
gray and I have no access to it. I can mouse the desktop to refresh or
anything else but no closing an that folder. Only way is through TM.
Sometimes it might be OE itself that is acting this way. Other times it is
the total inability of the mouse to access anything while moving freely.
Where do I start to debug this problem.

Thanks for any help.

J.

kelly

Hi John,

Suggestions:

While in the Task Manager, notice the CPU usage under Processes as to which
process is high. Try another mouse and run through what you have running in
the background:

Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

Added measures to consider in the meantime:

Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

You can use Event Viewer to view and manage the event logs, gather
information about hardware and software problems, and monitor Windows
security events.

To view the event log: Administrative Tools/Event Viewer or
Start/Run/eventvwr.

How to Troubleshoot Hardware and Software Driver Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q322205

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"John" <NJJohn@Spamex.com> wrote in message
> On occasion I find I can not close folders or some applications and OE as
> well. I would have a folder open but the top line that should be blue is
> gray and I have no access to it. I can mouse the desktop to refresh or
> anything else but no closing an that folder. Only way is through TM.
> Sometimes it might be OE itself that is acting this way. Other times it is
> the total inability of the mouse to access anything while moving freely.
> Where do I start to debug this problem.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> J.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Kelly wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Suggestions:
>
> While in the Task Manager, notice the CPU usage under Processes as to
> which process is high. Try another mouse and run through what you
> have running in the background:
>
> Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util
>
> Added measures to consider in the meantime:
>
> Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
>
> Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.
>
> You can use Event Viewer to view and manage the event logs, gather
> information about hardware and software problems, and monitor Windows
> security events.
>
> To view the event log: Administrative Tools/Event Viewer or
> Start/Run/eventvwr.
>
> How to Troubleshoot Hardware and Software Driver Problems
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q322205
>

> "John" <NJJohn@Spamex.com> wrote in message
>> On occasion I find I can not close folders or some applications and
>> OE as well. I would have a folder open but the top line that should
>> be blue is gray and I have no access to it. I can mouse the desktop
>> to refresh or anything else but no closing an that folder. Only way
>> is through TM. Sometimes it might be OE itself that is acting this
>> way. Other times it is the total inability of the mouse to access
>> anything while moving freely. Where do I start to debug this problem.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> J.

Thank you Kelly. This sure gives me something to start with.

J.