Quick Launch Buttons Shortcut

July 18, 2005 8:15:51 PM

Hello All,

A shortcut shows up on a clients desktop called Quick Launch Buttons. I
looked in the properties for the taskbar and unchecked the quick launch box
to get rid of the shortcut which it did. But my client does like to use the
quick launch items so I checked it again and the shortcut came back. I went
in further into the customize area and found that I could set it not to
show. In rebooting it came back again. It's probably an easy fix but I'm
not sure where to look next. Any Ideas?

Thanks in Advance for any Responses
July 19, 2005 5:28:33 AM

Hi Parker,

If you are speaking of the Taskbar (immediate right of the Start button)
that is where the Quick Launch Bar is located and not the Desktop, read on:
By XP default this would consist of IE, OE and Show Desktop.

As for right clicking the start button/properties/customize (Internet and
Email) that is for the Start Menu not the QL area. If per chance you are
speaking of the Taskbar in general, which is way off course from the subject
line: auto-hide the taskbar, start another post.

Good luck and add more info for clarification.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Parker" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> A shortcut shows up on a clients desktop called Quick Launch Buttons. I
> looked in the properties for the taskbar and unchecked the quick launch
> box to get rid of the shortcut which it did. But my client does like to
> use the quick launch items so I checked it again and the shortcut came
> back. I went in further into the customize area and found that I could
> set it not to show. In rebooting it came back again. It's probably an
> easy fix but I'm not sure where to look next. Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks in Advance for any Responses

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:34:57 AM

Hello Parker,

Based on your description, I assume that you have disabled and enabled the
quick launch bar. Below are your steps:

1. Right-click the taskbar and click Properties
2. Check or uncheck the option "Show Quick Launch"
3. Click OK to confirm

Am I right?

But there are something unclear in the following sentence:
"I went in further into the customize area and found that I could set it
not to show. In rebooting it came back again."

What are the exact steps you performed?
Do you mean the following steps?

1. Right-click the taskbar and click Properties
2. Click the button "Customize"
3. Change the specific item behavior as "Always hide"

Is it correct?

In order to understand your question more clearly, please send us the
screen shots to show your problem.
To capture a screen shot, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: When the error message appears, press the Pr Scrn key located at
the top-right corner of the keyboard to capture a screen shot.
Step 2: Click Start, select Run, type MSPAINT in the Open box, and then
click OK.
Step 3: Use Ctrl + V to paste the screen shot to the canvas. When we are
prompted to enlarge the bitmap, press Y or Enter.
Step 4: Click the File (or press Alt+ F) menu and select Save.
Step 5: Select Desktop in the 'Save in' box and type 'screen' in the File
name box.
Step 6: Select JPEG in the Save as type box and click OK.

Hope this helps.

Jacky Gu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/suppo...
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/suppo...

Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

--------------------
| From: "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com>
| Subject: Quick Launch Buttons Shortcut
| Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:15:51 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Hello All,
|
| A shortcut shows up on a clients desktop called Quick Launch Buttons. I
| looked in the properties for the taskbar and unchecked the quick launch
box
| to get rid of the shortcut which it did. But my client does like to use
the
| quick launch items so I checked it again and the shortcut came back. I
went
| in further into the customize area and found that I could set it not to
| show. In rebooting it came back again. It's probably an easy fix but
I'm
| not sure where to look next. Any Ideas?
|
| Thanks in Advance for any Responses

Related resources
July 19, 2005 12:45:06 PM

Thank You both for responding. I had found where to hide the quick launch
buttons, and yes the items that you had said are there. what the client is
complaining about is that there is also a shortcut on the desktop that says
"Quick Launch Buttons" that appears to have a rocket as its object. In
trying to delete it, on reboot this icon always reappears. I wish to
permanently delete it. Where is this shortcut coming from? and how do I
delete it if it continues to reappear.

Thanks Again for All of your Support

news:o IQGWsCjFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi Parker,
>
> If you are speaking of the Taskbar (immediate right of the Start button)
> that is where the Quick Launch Bar is located and not the Desktop, read
> on: By XP default this would consist of IE, OE and Show Desktop.
>
> As for right clicking the start button/properties/customize (Internet and
> Email) that is for the Start Menu not the QL area. If per chance you are
> speaking of the Taskbar in general, which is way off course from the
> subject line: auto-hide the taskbar, start another post.
>
> Good luck and add more info for clarification.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hello All,
>>
>> A shortcut shows up on a clients desktop called Quick Launch Buttons. I
>> looked in the properties for the taskbar and unchecked the quick launch
>> box to get rid of the shortcut which it did. But my client does like to
>> use the quick launch items so I checked it again and the shortcut came
>> back. I went in further into the customize area and found that I could
>> set it not to show. In rebooting it came back again. It's probably an
>> easy fix but I'm not sure where to look next. Any Ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in Advance for any Responses

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 3:06:21 AM

It's a common name for programs. What does the Properties of the target say.

"Parker" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23gtC79FjFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thank You both for responding. I had found where to hide the quick launch
> buttons, and yes the items that you had said are there. what the client is
> complaining about is that there is also a shortcut on the desktop that says
> "Quick Launch Buttons" that appears to have a rocket as its object. In
> trying to delete it, on reboot this icon always reappears. I wish to
> permanently delete it. Where is this shortcut coming from? and how do I
> delete it if it continues to reappear.
>
> Thanks Again for All of your Support

> news:o IQGWsCjFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Parker,
>>
>> If you are speaking of the Taskbar (immediate right of the Start button)
>> that is where the Quick Launch Bar is located and not the Desktop, read
>> on: By XP default this would consist of IE, OE and Show Desktop.
>>
>> As for right clicking the start button/properties/customize (Internet and
>> Email) that is for the Start Menu not the QL area. If per chance you are
>> speaking of the Taskbar in general, which is way off course from the
>> subject line: auto-hide the taskbar, start another post.
>>
>> Good luck and add more info for clarification.
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> A shortcut shows up on a clients desktop called Quick Launch Buttons. I
>>> looked in the properties for the taskbar and unchecked the quick launch
>>> box to get rid of the shortcut which it did. But my client does like to
>>> use the quick launch items so I checked it again and the shortcut came
>>> back. I went in further into the customize area and found that I could
>>> set it not to show. In rebooting it came back again. It's probably an
>>> easy fix but I'm not sure where to look next. Any Ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks in Advance for any Responses

July 20, 2005 3:06:22 AM

Thank You for your response,
I believe I found it with your hint. I looked at the path for where this
shortcut leads and it turns out to be a exe from HP(HP laptop) called
eabserv.exe that starts up when booting. I turned it off in the msconfig
startup by unchecking it. Thank you again for pointing me in the right
direction.

!