Where did everyone go?

What happened to this newsgroup? Is there a place I can find all of those great
people I used to find here? Are they at Yahoo? Please let me know...thanks in
advance.

Ray Gaer
www.soldiersintime.com
Raygun1966
www.soldiersintime.com

Actually there's quite a few of us around. We have managed to influence
the more obnoxious ones to leave or tone down the flame wars. Group can
be quite quiet at times without all that acrimony.

mjc

"Raygun1966" <raygun1966@aol.com> wrote in message
> What happened to this newsgroup? Is there a place I can find all of those
> great
> people I used to find here? Are they at Yahoo? Please let me know...thanks
> in
> advance.

We are still here, also on various yahoogroups & TMP.

Usenet use generally is just nosediving these days.

Cheers
Martin

"Raygun1966" <raygun1966@aol.com> wrote in message
> What happened to this newsgroup? Is there a place I can find all of those
> great
> people I used to find here? Are they at Yahoo? Please let me know...thanks
> in
> advance.

I think many people are using either specific yahoo groups or web site
forums now.
Bit of a shame really, since web sites dilute readership each time another
one opens up and they aren't archived (and searchable) like usenet.

--
Regards,
Andy O'Neill

Well, Ty is evidently trolling R.G.FRP.Misc with more of his
counterarguments to a position no one there (or here, as far as I can
tell) took. I've been stickingm ostly with TMP -- at least the
political posts are quarrentined to a forum away from the forums for
people who are into miniatures.

"Quid Veritas" <quidveritas@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Actually there's quite a few of us around. We have managed to influence
> the more obnoxious ones to leave or tone down the flame wars. Group can
> be quite quiet at times without all that acrimony.

You did?

Out from under a rock popped Mike Monaco and said

> Well, Ty is evidently trolling R.G.FRP.Misc with more of his
> counterarguments to a position no one there (or here, as far as I can
> tell) took.

To be fair it's all counter arguments to positions that no one has taken.

--
rob singers
pull finger to reply

Robert Singers wrote:

> Out from under a rock popped Mike Monaco and said
>
>>Well, Ty is evidently trolling R.G.FRP.Misc with more of his
>>counterarguments to a position no one there (or here, as far as I can
>>tell) took.
>
> To be fair it's all counter arguments to positions that no one has taken.

True enough. I've gotten embroiled in some of those myself. Now I see
how utterly pathetic these arguments are. I wonder what motivates
people to bring OT political arguments to forums like this? Loneliness?

Out from under a rock popped Mike Monaco and said

>> To be fair it's all counter arguments to positions that no one has
>> taken.
>
> True enough. I've gotten embroiled in some of those myself. Now I
> see how utterly pathetic these arguments are. I wonder what motivates
> people to bring OT political arguments to forums like this?
> Loneliness?

In my case having to be in front of a computer when I should be painting.

--

"Mike Monaco" <mmonaco.No@Spam.neo.rr.com> wrote in message

> Robert Singers wrote:
>
> > Out from under a rock popped Mike Monaco and said
> >
> >>Well, Ty is evidently trolling R.G.FRP.Misc with more of his
> >>counterarguments to a position no one there (or here, as far as I can
> >>tell) took.
> >
> > To be fair it's all counter arguments to positions that no one has
taken.

> True enough. I've gotten embroiled in some of those myself. Now I see
> how utterly pathetic these arguments are. I wonder what motivates
> people to bring OT political arguments to forums like this? Loneliness?

I blame the bears

Perhaps we can list some of the Yahoo or other groups we are currently a part
of in hopes pumping up the readership/membership in those groups. I would be
interested in knowing where everyone is hanging out. Im currently a member in
these groups at yahoo:
15mm-Miniatures
Ares-Variants
squadleader
wargame-creators
SoloWarGame (personal favorite)

I look forward to your replies.
Good gamin' to ya.

Raygun1966
www.soldiersintime.com

>What happened to this newsgroup? Is there a place I can find all of those great
>people I used to find here? Are they at Yahoo? Please let me know...thanks in
>advance.
>
>Ray Gaer
>www.soldiersintime.com
>Raygun1966
>www.soldiersintime.com

I think we are still around, just not much to say I guess these days.
Or maybe people are finally learning to "if you can't say anything nice
or well thought out, then don't say anything at all."

-Ray

trochim@rintintin.colorado.edu (Ray Trochim) wrote in message news:<cluct9$ii$1@peabody.colorado.edu>...
> >What happened to this newsgroup? Is there a place I can find all of those great
> >people I used to find here? Are they at Yahoo? Please let me know...thanks in
> >advance.
> >
> >Ray Gaer
> >www.soldiersintime.com
> >Raygun1966
> >www.soldiersintime.com
>
> I think we are still around, just not much to say I guess these days.
> Or maybe people are finally learning to "if you can't say anything nice
> or well thought out, then don't say anything at all."
>
> -Ray

BJ: May I assume that if "nice" or "Well thought out" are the
criteria, that you are saying that R.G.M.H. is, indeed, dead?

BJ

On 29 Oct 2004 21:41:21 -0700, highwiremedia@earthlink.net (Bob Jones)
wrote:

>trochim@rintintin.colorado.edu (Ray Trochim) wrote in message news:<cluct9$ii$1@peabody.colorado.edu>...
>> >What happened to this newsgroup? Is there a place I can find all of those great
>> >people I used to find here? Are they at Yahoo? Please let me know...thanks in
>> >advance.
>> >
>> >Ray Gaer
>> >www.soldiersintime.com
>> >Raygun1966
>> >www.soldiersintime.com
>>
>> I think we are still around, just not much to say I guess these days.
>> Or maybe people are finally learning to "if you can't say anything nice
>> or well thought out, then don't say anything at all."
>>
>> -Ray
>
>BJ: May I assume that if "nice" or "Well thought out" are the
>criteria, that you are saying that R.G.M.H. is, indeed, dead?
>
>BJ

Nice way to help out the group, well thought out, Bob. :)

Bill

About Right - Many of those I corresponded with way back have left because of
the poor attitudes and manners of a very few.

Really ruined this newsgroup

Rich R.

ty

"Raygun1966" <raygun1966@aol.com> wrote in message
> What happened to this newsgroup? Is there a place I can find all of those
great
> people I used to find here? Are they at Yahoo? Please let me know...thanks
in
> advance.

Still here, just lurking these days.

Of course, I may not be one of the "great people" <shrug>.

--Ty

raygun1966@aol.com (Raygun1966) wrote in message news:<20041029002325.22420.00001552@mb-m06.aol.com>...
> Perhaps we can list some of the Yahoo or other groups we are currently a part

Here is a list of most of the hobby groups I am on.

10mm-Miniatures
15mm_Painter
15mm-Miniatures
1listSculpting
20mm-Miniatures
2mm
6mm_Miniatures
6mm-Miniatures
acwmb
Age-of-Reason
AgeOfSail
AmazonMiniatures
AMS_Hoplon
AncientTactics
ancmed
AoCM
ArcaneWarfare
ARMATI
AsianWar
awi_thru_acw
Battlestandard_Ancients_Rules
baueda
BB_Contest
berdan-sharpshooters
bibushi
Borodino2002
borodinoepic
caliverbooks
chadwick-ancients
Classical-Hack
ColonialWars
dbmlist
dogs_of_war_rules
eagles_to_glory
ElanDeluxe
Empire_Napoleonics
EMWargames
FieldsOfConflict
figuretrades
fireandfury
foundry
Gekokujo
Gettysburg
GI_Newsletter
GMSN
GoreAMwar
grand_armee
Grand_Manner
GrandeArmee
HMGS_Clubs
HMGS-East
hmgs-east_issues_forum
hmgsmarketingteam
hmgsmidwest
HRN3
jriii
LaceWarfare
LaceWars
LegionandEmpire
MaximilianWar
MexAmWar
Might-of-Arms
Napofig
NapoleonicFireandFury
Napoleonics
napoleonicwargaming
NapoleonicWars
Napoleons_Campaigns
napsbattles
NapWarfare
NOVAGList
NRPlayTest
OMG2004
orientalarmies
Painting_Guru
panzerblitz
PaWM
PB_PL
pendrakenminis
Piquet
Raven_Ram
Roman_History_Books
SAGAWarfare
SAU_USW
slminiatures
slw-club
slw-salute
Southern_Maryland_Partizans
System7
TalkAntietam
talkingwargames
terrainmakers
The_Magic_Brush
The_Rogues
TriangleSimSociety
Valmy_to_Waterloo
VictorianWarfare
visbellica
VLBRules
vnblist
WABlist
WAB-Lite
war_galley
warflag
wargamersdigest
wargames_nostalgia
wargamesclubs
wargamesfigures
WargamesinChinaAsia
WaterlooAllies
WaterlooFrench
WaterlooPrussians
WoodenWalls

In message <10o8ndklcbirg8b@corp.supernews.com>, Ty
<tbeardSPAM@tyler.net> writes
>"Raygun1966" <raygun1966@aol.com> wrote in message
>> What happened to this newsgroup? Is there a place I can find all of those
>great
>> people I used to find here? Are they at Yahoo? Please let me know...thanks
>in
>> advance.
>
>Still here, just lurking these days.
>
>Of course, I may not be one of the "great people" <shrug>.

Oh you are, Ty, you are. Personally I thought the ng was much more
interesting in the old days, but if people like it better now then
that's life, I guess.
--
John Secker

ty

"John Secker" <john@secker.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <10o8ndklcbirg8b@corp.supernews.com>, Ty
> <tbeardSPAM@tyler.net> writes
> >"Raygun1966" <raygun1966@aol.com> wrote in message
> >> What happened to this newsgroup? Is there a place I can find all of
those
> >great
> >> people I used to find here? Are they at Yahoo? Please let me
know...thanks
> >in
> >> advance.
> >
> >Still here, just lurking these days.
> >
> >Of course, I may not be one of the "great people" <shrug>.
> >
> Oh you are, Ty, you are. Personally I thought the ng was much more
> interesting in the old days, but if people like it better now then
> that's life, I guess.

I guess we could liven it up with a discussion about the election. :)

--Ty

ty

Good heavens!

--Ty

"James Mattes" <vojvoda13@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> raygun1966@aol.com (Raygun1966) wrote in message
> > Perhaps we can list some of the Yahoo or other groups we are currently a
part

> Here is a list of most of the hobby groups I am on.

> [...]

Well this is a most impressive list but . . . how do you find time to
read all this? Geeze -- just the time to join is a significant investment.

Still thanks for the list -- I had no idea some of these things existed.

mjc

"Ty" <tbeardSPAM@tyler.net> wrote in message news:<10ob4f8g3b68hb7@corp.supernews.com>...
> > Oh you are, Ty, you are. Personally I thought the ng was much more
> > interesting in the old days, but if people like it better now then
> > that's life, I guess.
>
> I guess we could liven it up with a discussion about the election. :)
>
> --Ty

BJ: Nahhh! You'd make a prediction and be wrong...and then I'd point
out just how wrong you had been...and then you'd say something clever
like "Liar,liar! Pants on fire!" and then claim that the electoral
college was either a.) A great thing, or b.) An evil liberal plot-
depending on whether George got a majority of votes while losing the
presidency.

Then Insane Ranter and Singer would say something irrelevant that
would prompt Secker and Bill to respond.

Then 85 emails later Quid Veritas would say the list was so much nicer
when nobody was posting.

The thread would be titled "Deja vu all over again."

BJ

PS Both Ohio and Florida are trending badly for you guys-better start
the intimidation of voters and purge lists early this year! :)

ty

"Bob Jones" <highwiremedia@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "Ty" <tbeardSPAM@tyler.net> wrote in message
>> > Oh you are, Ty, you are. Personally I thought the ng was much more
>> > interesting in the old days, but if people like it better now then
>> > that's life, I guess.
>>
>> I guess we could liven it up with a discussion about the election. :)
>>
>> --Ty
>
> BJ: Nahhh! You'd make a prediction and be wrong...and then I'd point
> out just how wrong you had been...and then you'd say something clever
> like "Liar,liar! Pants on fire!"

Only if you resort to falsehoods that can easily be confirmed with your own
evidence...

> and then claim that the electoral
> college was either a.) A great thing, or b.) An evil liberal plot-
> depending on whether George got a majority of votes while losing the
> presidency.

<shrug>

Okay, you talked me into it.

I generally blame defeats on the candidate, not on other factors. I'll leave
the conspiracy theories to you, Bob.

FWIW, I like the electoral college and always have. Even when Clinton (and
her husband) won in 1992 and 96. :)

IMHO, if Bush loses, it will be his own fault (absent convincing evidence of
voter fraud on an unprecedented scale). How incompetent do you have to be to
lose to a pompous, lightweight trophy husband? :)

The same with Kerry. How incompetent do you have to be to lose to a redneck
from Texas with a speech impediment? :)

Besides, there's a silver lining no matter who wins:

1. If Kerry wins, then us right wingers will never have to hear from the
Clintons again. And I know more than a few Republicans who would make that
trade...

2. If Bush wins, then you lefties get Hillary in 2008 -- which is what you
really want anyhow.

And no matter who wins, certain things make me less worried about the
outcome of the election:

1. Barring a spectacular failure in the polling data, the Congress will
remain firmly in Republican hands. (Note that a number of polls failed to
predict the Republican congressional victory in 1994, so there's some
precedent for a surprise). The real political power in this country is in
the Congress -- something the pre-Clinton Democrats understood rather well.
If given a choice, I'll trade the presidency for the Congress any day.
Indeed, I happen to think that this is what allowed Clinton to have such a
successful presidency (in economic terms anyhow). Clinton, as a Democrat,
could propose things like Free Trade and Welfare Reform without being
excoriated by the press (and his fellow Democrats). The Republican Congress
made it possible for such things to get passed and implemented.

2. Although I do not like or respect Kerry, I think it's very unlikely that
he will do much damage to our foreign policy. I expect him to contunue the
same course as Bush -- and I don't expect French troops to be behind us (and
I do mean "behind" us) in Iraq. Of course, the absence of our French
"allies" should make the British and UK troops breathe easier, but I
digress. Kerry's tax and spending policies would slow the economy down, but
it shouldn't kill the economy either. Plus, a Republican controlled Congress
is unlikely to give Kerry those things anyhow.

3. Perhaps I am unduly optimistic, but I really don't expect as close an
election (in the Electoral College) as the pundits are generally predicting.
I think that one side or the other will do much better than the polls
predict. This is mostly a gut feeling and isn't supported by evidence -
kinda like everything *you* post, Bob. An argument for Kerry winning a
surprising victory is the huge number of new voters (who traditionally favor
Democrats) that have signed up. My understanding is that the pollsters are
having a hard time quantifying this new factor. An argument for Bush winning
a surprising victory is that (a) polls rate either Iraq or the War on Terror
as the most important issue for ~60% of the people. These are "leadership
issues" and Bush has a decisive edge in the polls on these issues. Seems odd
for someone to say "Iraq is the most important issue for me, I think Bush
will do the best job, I think Bush is most trustworthy, decisive, etc. But
I'm voting for Kerry." Of course, bad weather in certain key states could be
disastrous for the Democrats.

4. If it's close, whoever loses will be faced with a dilemma. I really think
that the American people don't want a repeat of 2000. If it's close, the
loser well give it up because his party will risk a backlash at against
perceived poor sportsmanship. When one recalls the close margins that Ford
and Nixon lost by, one hopes that the loser will follow their example.

5. If you think that Bush will win, I'd buy as many puts as possible on the
stocks of companies that make antidepressants...

As an interesting aside, I was invited to be a poll watcher in Ohio last
week. Seems someone had me figured as a conservative lawyer (who saw *that*
coming?). They would pay airfare and expenses -- but not any wages. I
declined. It just isn't that important to me.

--Ty

ty

"Ty" <tylawyerSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> 5. If you think that Bush will win, I'd buy as many puts as possible on
> the stocks of companies that make antidepressants...

Sorry, you want "calls" not "puts".

--Ty

In message <10ob4f8g3b68hb7@corp.supernews.com>, Ty
<tbeardSPAM@tyler.net> writes
>> >Still here, just lurking these days.
>> >
>> >Of course, I may not be one of the "great people" <shrug>.
>> >
>> Oh you are, Ty, you are. Personally I thought the ng was much more
>> interesting in the old days, but if people like it better now then
>> that's life, I guess.
>
>I guess we could liven it up with a discussion about the election. :)

Yes, I see the Ukrainian election has been declared below the standards
expected of a democratic nation.
Or is there some other election going on at the moment?
--
John Secker