Acer Aspire M5640 Motherboard Layout (power issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncupery

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I was wondering if anyone has a motherboard schematic for and Acer Aspire M5640. I think am having some power switch problems and i want to make sure I plugged the cable back in to the right spot. Anyone a certafied Acer tech? I would love to bounce a couple questions off you if possible.

ncupery

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I purchased the service manual. If anyone would like this SM. Shoot me a message and I can email it to you :)

G

my friend has the m5640 and his motherboard tool a crap and he is trying to figure out the pinouts for the case to hook up a new motherboard could you send the manual to me please thanks .

G

Same problem here: I've got power everywhere (power-on light and 'aspire' decoration on the casing shining bright&blue, HD blinks once at power-on, dvd-player gets juice, processor heats up, all fans blowing, both 4-pin and 24-pin power sources attached to the motherboard show appropriate voltage), but no POST beeb(s)--not fully clothed, not bare-boned, not out of the casing, not after a cosm reset.

Seems like a motherboard failure to me.

This is a 2 years old Acer Aspire m5640(-1R7E). Great setup at the time, but I expected it to last longer.

karaP

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
did anyone get a copy of that manual? I'm having a heck of a time trying to get a hold of it. I need the wiring diagram for the front panel.

karaP

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Yah, I was having the same problem. I didn't even get a signal to the screen. My very first thought was, it has something to do with the video card. Ofcourse, it's integrated on my particular board. Well, i fixed the problem. I replaced the damn thing. $70.00 US. I personally think they put crap motherboards in these machines. I called Acer, who frickin sucks to talk to too becus they don't want to give out info. I called the service centers, this partially motherboard that I have, happens to be on back order. HMMM... wonder why. Anyway, I swapped the motherboard for one that matches up to the proper specs (memory, graphics, etc) and we're good to go. The wiring is the only thing I had to be careful with.

Kara

steph35

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Thanks karaP. It reduces the number of options.
I think I'll have to change the motherboard also (still I need to be sure it is not the HD).
Which one did you choose?
Matching the exact specs is not easy, because there are 3 USB connectors, plus IEEE. The first price I found with these specs (and the other specs of ACER MB) is around 110€ (150USD).

Another question : what happens to the VIsta OEM licence sold with the computer? is it lost?
If yes, might be an opportunity to switch to Seven or Linux :bounce:

thanks

karaP

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
slave the HD to another computer. I bought a Asus motherboard and was very happy with it. Tech support is awesome. I would call the local tech repair shop and ask them what board would be compatible with your system. Luckily the board I bought matched up so well; I didn't need to reinstall the OS. I bought an ASUS P5N73-AM. The wiring for the front panel is different and it doesn't have firewire capabilities. You could probably call ASUS too and they could tell you what's a close match to your board but through them it may no be as cheap. Good Luck.

steph35

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

Hi!!
done!
I changed the motherboard by an ASUS P5Q-EM, and it works perfectly. I had to use knife and tools to "remodel" :whistle: the front panel connector but its all ok now.
Only problem, the VIsta disk manager doesn't "see" my hard drive (although it's working properly, since it has the OS and all documents on it!).

Thanks again for your help
Stephane

karaP

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I don't have the wiring diagram. I never got an email from that guy. Sorry. Pop open the front panel. That should be the only rewiring you'll need to do.

rayjay

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I just finished replacing the m5640 with a PCchips.. only thing windows 7 drivers, so beware to check availability of win7 drvrs. the manual I hve is not very technical just general stuff like the location of the mb usb blocks and panel1 and cmos reset..etc.. there was the problem with the pwer issue. came on then shutdown thru windows. then on again and nothing just a blinking power light. anybody experienced that one. Im not gving up on the mb , shopping for a cpu lga775 type.
later.

MisterMup

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Hey guys. Like most of you guys I am having the same problem. It turns on, fan is running everything powers up, but when it reaches the "starting windows" screen it freezes. Also it was the video card that died first. Well I'm thinking the mobo died and isn't reading the vcard. Just curious what solutions you guys came up with. I noticed the two ASUS mobos that others have gotten. Just curious if anyone else found other mobos that worked? Thanks for the help guys

ethio

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Thanks Aford10

This morning I tried with different power supply/hard drive/ram/monitor

I don's see no sign.

I have motherboard of the same brand they produce same result. when i switch them they share cpu or heat cinq. Do you think It has something to do with it.

No display on the screen!!!!!!

ethio

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Thank You...

Aford10

I knew the problem was around the CPU but couldn't figure it out. I took the CUP out again and relized they didn't put the chip under the fan loool wow. Although I wasted a day on this issue but was glad everything is over.

now i have to put back all the parts i took out from the computers. hmmmm

Thank again AFORD10

martini625

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
I know this thread should totally be archived right now, but I'm having the same issue with my Acer Aspire m5640 (as a lot of people seem to be).

I turn the machine on, the front panel lights up, the fan kicks on, and the dvd drive will open, but there's no signal to the monitor, keyboard, or mouse. Blah blah blah, no POST, you've heard it all before.

It's not the monitor. I've hooked the Acer up to an old monitor with the same result. I've hooked my lcd up to an old pc, and everything works fine. Same goes for the mouse and keyboard.

At first, I thought it was the power supply, but that's not the case. It tested fine for me. I even took it to a repair shop (because I was really really hoping it was just the power supply) and they said it was fine.

I switched the CMOS jumper around and took out the battery, neither of which changed a thing. I played Musical RAM Chips, to no avail. I reseated everything in the case. Still nothing.

I'm fairly certain at this point that the motherboard has gone rogue. There are no signs of anything being burned out on it, as someone on another thread suggested there would have to be if the mobo was the problem.

*sigh* Thus, I've been relegated to the ancient realm where RAM is measured in MB and solitaire is a strain on the CPU. Did I miss the news about Acer being absolute crap?

Anyway, that leads me to a three-part question:

1) Is this machine worth saving (considering all the problems this model is prone to) or am I better off moving on with my life?

2) If it is worth saving, should I go against my will and order a replacement board from Acer, or get a 'compatible' board?

3) That was probably a dumb question. If I get a new board, how can I find out what type of board will work, ideally without the use of a soldering iron on my part?

How was the power supply tested? Just because it's functional, doesn't mean it's enough to power your system.

Here's where I'd start. Unplug everything except the CPU/HSF, PSU, power switch, and 1 RAM chip. Try booting, and listen for the normal beep.

Onboard video, video card, or both?

martini625

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
PSU was tested at the computer repair shop with a power supply tester. The owner was the first to suggest that was a board problem. I've never dealt with him before, so I'm not going to say his word is gospel. However, from what I can tell, he knows his stuff.

Tried your suggestion. Not even a beep.

Video is onboard.

Do you have a motherboard speaker?

If you've got the motherboard speaker, and still no beeps with that above setup, they're probably right. It's likely a bad board.

It's probably best sold for parts/repair. I wouldn't order a replacement board. If you want to keep it, you could order a better board, CPU, and RAM. It'd be a relatively cheap upgrade/project PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.