Empire Games by Scotty Bowden

In the 70s, Texas gamer Scotty Bowden published J.E.B., Redcoat, and
Empire. Are they available today and are there any websites for
them.....

bigboy

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:17:12 -0400, jjjgrills@cox.net wrote:

>In the 70s, Texas gamer Scotty Bowden published J.E.B., Redcoat, and
>Empire. Are they available today and are there any websites for
>them.....
I don't know about J.E.B., but they published an ACW set called "stars
and bars". It was based on the Empire III Napoleonics rule mechanics.
I have a set of that.

J.E.B. predates Stars and Bars. Loooong out of print. Also done by Scotty.

Best,
Tom Dye
GFI
GFI/Minifigs: www.minifigs.com (303)361-6465
Attactix:Bill@attactix.com (303)699-3349

Makers of Minifigs to the Americas!

I don't think Redcoat is being played at all anymore. J.E.B. has also
largely been supplanted but is still played in a few places. Empire II
is one of my favorite sets of rules but all the subsequent "upgrades" .
.. . well won't comment other than to say I haven't seen them played in
10 years.

You may want to contact Scotty personally, he may still have a copy or
two around the house.

mjc

<jjjgrills@cox.net> wrote in message
> In the 70s, Texas gamer Scotty Bowden published J.E.B., Redcoat, and
> Empire. Are they available today and are there any websites for
> them.....

JEB and Redcoat went out of print many moons ago. Empire may still be in
print. The Empire series was once the Lingua Franca of Napoleonics gaming
but has been supplanted by many other rules sets. If you can track Bowden
down he is a right guy. He sent me 2 sets of OOP Redcoat ages ago when I
wrote him and inquired. I think I located him using info in the front of
the 2 books he penned on ACW orders of battle. One was on First Manassas,
the other was on Gettysburg. This was ages ago though.

Empire came out in several editions, I-IV, and then the final version
that was just titled "Empire" (commonly called Empire 5). It was
available through Empire Press. Email Todd Fisher at marengo@aol.com
to see if any copies are left out there. I will check with Scot to see
if he has any copies of Redcoat or JEB, but JEB was replaced by "Stars
& Bars".

- Greg

jjjgrills@cox.net wrote in message news:<g5r4o0d6javd2be1i06018bvii42homc0i@4ax.com>...
> In the 70s, Texas gamer Scotty Bowden published J.E.B., Redcoat, and
> Empire. Are they available today and are there any websites for
> them.....

A good question might be to ask what happens to rules sets that go out
of print, and are never going to be in print again. Why don't authors
donate the rights to the rules sets to the public domain, or give them
to a site like TMP or MagWeb so they can be accessed there if anyone
wants to print off a copy?

The situation reminds me of the disappearance of the early 1920s and
1930s paperbacks due to their not standing the physical test of time,
and no one willing to reprint them.

Dan

"Dan D. Cyr" <dancyr@execpc.com> wrote in message
> A good question might be to ask what happens to rules sets that go out
> of print, and are never going to be in print again. Why don't authors
> donate the rights to the rules sets to the public domain, or give them
> to a site like TMP or MagWeb so they can be accessed there if anyone
> wants to print off a copy?

Ummmm... because (speaking from personal experience) I created the object in
question and own the rights to it. If no-one but myself, my friends and
people who come into contact with me ever play the rulesets I've created -
then MY needs have been satisfied. I also know several authors of rulesets
who have been quite badly shaken, both emotional and financially, by the end
results of publication - especially if they self-published. And who have
copies of unsold rule sets in boxes still lingering and getting moldy in
their basements. So perhaps some people feel that their creation was
revealed as a failure and want no further part of trying to promote it?

<shrug>

If you feel so strongely about public domain and intellectual property
rights, then why don't you go first and give away all legal rights to your
creations if you feel so strongely about all these supposedly great rule
sets dissapperaring? Public Domain is great - if you're the pubic, I
suppose. Not so great if your the creator.

> The situation reminds me of the disappearance of the early 1920s and
> 1930s paperbacks due to their not standing the physical test of time,
> and no one willing to reprint them.

And most probably nobody was willling to buy them either. Much more bad
stuff is created than good stuff - and I take the Darwinian perspective that
the good stuff (Hammet, Fitgerald, Lovecraft, etc) survived because it was
worth saving. The rest was most probably not.

PS: I've got most every one of Scotty Bowden's Napoleonic rules up to and
including Empire IV. And that includes redcoat, JEB and stars n' bars plus
a set of ancient rules (Couer d' lion?) as well. And none of them worked as
well - for playablity or clarity - as Empire II. So even from good
writers - much that is produced is not really worth saving.

IMHO, of course.
--
MJB

Mr. Tin's Painting Workshop:
http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/

> I guess that is what I was getting at. For some reason MJB seems to
> think I am advocating taking the bread out of the mouths of starving
> rule set writers,

No, I don't think that at all. This discussion was about work long since
lost to distribution, NOT new work that is trying to be sold today. Please
don't mis-state my position simply to suit your change in the argument. And
the cliche about the 'starving-rules' writer is not the issue - NOBODY I've
ever met got rich writing wargame rules for HISTORICAL gamers. Everbody I
ever met did it for the love of the game - but took their beatings in the
market and lost their naievity very quickly.

> but I'm just suggesting that if a writer wants to
> leave something behind to reflect their work, putting the rules out
> there is one way. This is already happening on the
> freewargamesrules.co.uk <http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/> web site
> which has a number of formally "commercially sold" versions of rule sets
> available. If a writer does not want to publish their rules again, why
> not donate them to the public?

So that's your reasoning - put your work into public domain so you will be
remembered? What happens when your name becomes un-attached from said piece
of work in the digital format it is scanned into or it gets incorporated
into someone else's 'masterwork' and all attribution is lost? So much for
being remembered.

> If they don't want to, don't. No one is judging.

Didn't say you were. I think you've got a good idea IN THEORY. But there
are lots of problems with giving-up rights to intellectual property.

For example: I develop a set of world war II air combat rules. Good game,
fun to play, I sell a bunch of 'em. But not enough to justify a second
printing or I just get bored with trying to deal with what is essentially a
vanity project. 'poof' - the game is gone from the market. So I give-up my
intellectual property rights to air combat game version 1 and put it into
public domain. Now a year passes and things change. I'm interested in air
combat again and I decide to dust off my old game and re-do it. I re-write
air combat game version 1 as air combat game version 2, find some more
capital and decide to re-publish.

Except who owns the rights to my original idea? I don't - I gave 'em up
when I put 'em into public domain. So I could find myself in competion with
MYSELF if someone decided air combat game version 1 was actually saleable -
or get sued for using my original ideas myself if I decide to sell air
combat game version 2. Witness what has been going on with Linux versus Red
Hat versus all the other operations trying to sell versions of formally
public domain computer operating systems.

And if you think this is far-fetched, it's already happened once to me.
After I'd moved out of town, a set of land rules I designed was 're-done'
and 're-titled' by a couple of my friends and published locally in a very
limited way without either my knowledge or consent. And when I was later in
negotiation with a company to publish my work, including the land rules I'm
describing, the fact came out that there were legal concerns about
authorship of both sets of rules, my original and the faux-copy. The issue
of ownership of intellecutual property scuttled the entire deal. So unless
the people who took my ideas in whole and printed them with their names as
authors are willing to admit that's what happened, I can NEVER publish my
original ideas.

<shrug>

> There have been hundreds, if not thousands of sets of rules sold over
> the counter since the 1960s, and most died quick and quiet lives, having
> short print runs and limited distribution. Just as Magweb has managed
> to preserve the many no longer available magazines of this hobby to
> share with new readers, why not an effort to preserve the rules for
> those who were not there in 1974, or 1987 when a set of rules was
> available for a short time? If an author thinks he can sell them, then
> re-publish for heaven's sakes, but otherwise why not donate it to a
> source which will make it available to the public?

I am in agreement with you it would be a good and useful resource - provided
you can figure out a way for the author to keep control of his work. And
public domain is NOT necessarily the best way to do that.

--
MJB

Mr. Tin's Painting Workshop:
http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/

ty

"MJB" <mrtinj@OLDSguy.com> wrote in message

> So that's your reasoning - put your work into public domain so you will be
> remembered? What happens when your name becomes un-attached from said
> piece
> of work in the digital format it is scanned into or it gets incorporated
> into someone else's 'masterwork' and all attribution is lost? So much for
> being remembered.

You can still distribute a work for free, yet retain your copyright. It is
not necessary to place it in the public domain.

> Didn't say you were. I think you've got a good idea IN THEORY. But
> there
> are lots of problems with giving-up rights to intellectual property.

> For example: I develop a set of world war II air combat rules. Good
> game,
> fun to play, I sell a bunch of 'em. But not enough to justify a second
> printing or I just get bored with trying to deal with what is essentially
> vanity project. 'poof' - the game is gone from the market. So I give-up
> my
> intellectual property rights to air combat game version 1 and put it into
> public domain. Now a year passes and things change. I'm interested in
> air
> combat again and I decide to dust off my old game and re-do it. I
> re-write
> air combat game version 1 as air combat game version 2, find some more
> capital and decide to re-publish.

> Except who owns the rights to my original idea? I don't - I gave 'em up
> when I put 'em into public domain.

Well, there are a couple of things to bear in mind. Ideas cannot be
copyrighted, only their expression can. Therefore, you can steal game
mechanics rather shamelessly if you want. See the various Monopoly ripoffs
that are perfectly legal under copyright law. So in your example, nothing
would preclude you from using those same mechanics. Note that trademark
law -- which governs the name/logo "Monopoly" -- is very different.

Even TSR, which made its lawyers rich in the 1970s and 80s, had to suffer
numerous RPGs that shamelessly stole D&D mechanics. Their litigation
generally focused on trademark issues, usually where the defendant had
stated that the game was "compatible with D&D" or somesuch.

> And if you think this is far-fetched, it's already happened once to me.
> After I'd moved out of town, a set of land rules I designed was 're-done'
> and 're-titled' by a couple of my friends and published locally in a very
> limited way without either my knowledge or consent.

Had the same thing happen to me at a convention. A gaming group was stunned
at how similar FFT looked to a game one of their guys had "invented" a year
earlier. Of course, he probably just downloaded the free version of FFT from
my website, made a few tweaks and claimed it as his own (sans name, of
course). I still offer the free versions of FFT on my website.

> And when I was later in
> negotiation with a company to publish my work, including the land rules
> I'm
> describing, the fact came out that there were legal concerns about
> authorship of both sets of rules, my original and the faux-copy. The
> issue
> of ownership of intellecutual property scuttled the entire deal. So
> unless
> the people who took my ideas in whole and printed them with their names as
> authors are willing to admit that's what happened, I can NEVER publish my
> original ideas.

Surely your friends were reasonable, weren't they? If they were, all the
company had to do was draft a simple assignment assigning all rights in both
games from your friends to you. Did the company have legal counsel? Is it
possible that the company got cold feet and used this as a convenient out?

Of course, intentional copyright violation is nothing to sneer at. Statutory
damages can go into the hundreds of thousands of dollars (regardless of
actual harm caused), so the penalties can be medeival.

> I am in agreement with you it would be a good and useful resource -
> provided
> you can figure out a way for the author to keep control of his work. And
> public domain is NOT necessarily the best way to do that.

I would suggest that the author place a license in the work (similar to the
d20 license) that allows distribution for free (I'd put a limit, say
"through 12/31/2006") but that requires the work be distributed intact. He
need not give up his copyright.

--Ty

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:50:09 -0800, "MJB" <mrtinj@OLDSguy.com> wrote:

>> > Except who owns the rights to my original idea? I don't - I gave 'em up
>> > when I put 'em into public domain.
>>
>> Well, there are a couple of things to bear in mind. Ideas cannot be
>> copyrighted, only their expression can. Therefore, you can steal game
>> mechanics rather shamelessly if you want. See the various Monopoly ripoffs
>> that are perfectly legal under copyright law. So in your example, nothing
>> would preclude you from using those same mechanics. Note that trademark
>> law -- which governs the name/logo "Monopoly" -- is very different.
>
>Agreed. And your point is? All of this was explained to me by my copyright
>attorney and is well understood.

If you understand copyright law you why did you talk about owning the
rights to an idea?

ty

"Pan Loaf" <pan.loaf@virspamtrapgin.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:50:09 -0800, "MJB" <mrtinj@OLDSguy.com> wrote:

>>Agreed. And your point is? All of this was explained to me by my
>>copyright
>>attorney and is well understood.

> If you understand copyright law you why did you talk about owning the
> rights to an idea?

Because that was one of his other personalities.

--Ty

And just a note on Empire Games. Scot sold it to a Mr. Mark Blackmon
many, many moons ago. I have no idea where Mr. Blackmom is or what he
is doing now.

- Greg