Recovery discs for windows xp

I am about to take delivery of a new pc.The pc will be running windows xp
home and some pre loaded software The company I am buying it from wanted to
charge me £69 for a set of recovery discs. as Microsoft do not supply discs
with new pcs.

As I thought this excessive I declined their offer .

I would like to make a set of recovery discs myself. What would this entail
and can someone point me in the right direction as to software I would need
.. I would be able to make the didcs on either cd or dvd.

Any software would have to be available in the uk.

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about recovery discs windows

    You should have gotten the recovery disks as Windows XP Home has no way to
    create them.

    You would have to get a 3rd party application, such as Norton Ghost 9.0 to
    create an image of your computer to multiple CD's. Then you would be
    covered. This costs as much, or more, than the recovery CD's do.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Denis Glover" <deniswglover@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I am about to take delivery of a new pc.The pc will be running windows xp
    >home and some pre loaded software The company I am buying it from wanted to
    >charge me £69 for a set of recovery discs. as Microsoft do not supply discs
    >with new pcs.
    >
    > As I thought this excessive I declined their offer .
    >
    > I would like to make a set of recovery discs myself. What would this
    > entail and can someone point me in the right direction as to software I
    > would need . I would be able to make the didcs on either cd or dvd.
    >
    > Any software would have to be available in the uk.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi, Denis.

    Your vendor is not being open and aboveboard with you!

    It is not Microsoft who should supply the full WinXP CD-ROMs. The OEM
    (Original Equipment Manufacturer) buys a special version of Windows from MS.
    Then the OEM customizes THAT copy of WinXP to fit the OEM's specific
    hardware. Part of the deal between MS and the OEM is that the OEM assumes
    the obligation to support that copy of WinXP, since MS can't know or control
    what modifications the OEM might make to it after it leaves Microsoft.
    Therefore, the OEM - and not Microsoft - should deliver with the installed
    WinXP whatever it takes to reinstall WinXP if necessary. But we hear that
    many OEMs deliver only a "recovery disk", rather than the full WinXP CD-ROM.
    This is true of some major OEMs, as will as some local computer assemblers.

    The problem with the typical recovery disk is that it restores the PC to the
    condition as it left the store. That means that all the applications and
    data you've added since buying the computer are lost. (Your family photos,
    financial data, purchased games and other software - everything!)

    Be sure you have a clear understanding of what the OEM is selling you - and
    how you will receive support - before you hand over your money. And be sure
    you get it in writing!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Denis Glover" <deniswglover@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I am about to take delivery of a new pc.The pc will be running windows xp
    >home and some pre loaded software The company I am buying it from wanted to
    >charge me £69 for a set of recovery discs. as Microsoft do not supply discs
    >with new pcs.
    >
    > As I thought this excessive I declined their offer .
    >
    > I would like to make a set of recovery discs myself. What would this
    > entail and can someone point me in the right direction as to software I
    > would need . I would be able to make the didcs on either cd or dvd.
    >
    > Any software would have to be available in the uk.
    >
    > Thanks.

    "Denis Glover" <deniswglover@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    >I am about to take delivery of a new pc.The pc will be running
    >windows xp home and some pre loaded software The company I am
    >buying it from wanted to charge me £69 for a set of recovery
    >discs. as Microsoft do not supply discs with new pcs.

    No, it has nothing to do with Microsoft. It's the company you
    bought it from that doesn't supply them.

    OEM vendors are required by their agreement with Microsoft to
    give you a means of reinstalling, should it be necessary. They
    can do this in one of three ways:

    1. An OEM copy of Windows

    2. A restore CD

    3. A hidden partition on your drive, with restore information.

    If you don't have 1 or 2, you should have 3, but you should
    contact your vendor to find out.

    Personally, I find both 2 and 3 unacceptable, and would never
    choose to buy a computer that came with an operating system
    unless I got a complete generic installation CD for that
    operating system.

    > As I thought this excessive I declined their offer .
    >
    > I would like to make a set of recovery discs myself. What would
    > this entail and can someone point me in the right direction as
    > to software I would need. I would be able to make the didcs on
    > either cd or dvd.

    Sorry, you can't do this.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    This 7Mb .iso will give you a bootable Recovery Console rather than using
    the 6 floppy set http://home.comcast.net/~access_denied/DTU/RC.iso
    You need to burn it to CD using software that will correctly open and burn
    an ISO image file. Nero can do this as well as numerous other programs
    including this freeware app http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    If you prefer the 6 floppy version you can download the corresponding
    version from here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=33290 Home
    Edition
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=33291 Pro
    Edition

    But that is only part of what you need. You also want to create a Recovery
    CD or DVD set that contains your current system setup. BootIt NG contains an
    option called Image which will do the trick. Or you can use the Image for
    Windows stand alone app. Both are found here
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Denis Glover" <deniswglover@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I am about to take delivery of a new pc.The pc will be running windows xp
    > home and some pre loaded software The company I am buying it from wanted
    > charge me £69 for a set of recovery discs. as Microsoft do not supply
    discs
    > with new pcs.
    >
    > As I thought this excessive I declined their offer .
    >
    > I would like to make a set of recovery discs myself. What would this
    entail
    > and can someone point me in the right direction as to software I would
    need
    > . I would be able to make the didcs on either cd or dvd.
    >
    > Any software would have to be available in the uk.
    >
    > Thanks.

Data Recovery Windows XP Microsoft Software