Good and best sound card for pc with optical output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhlow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Hey for xmas im getting a Logitech Z-5500 sound system. I have a intel DG31PR mobo and the sound port on the back only works for some reason on the right speaker but i have another sound port like thing on the front of the computer and that works for both speakers. Its like an extension cable going to the port to pins on the motherboard i thought the onboard sound was broken but that dosnt make sence why the front port would still work.... anyways if i would get a new soundcard would this fix that problem and if it will can you tell me a good card that has optical audio output please?

uncle_ben

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
There is plenty of them and to be honest using optical means you will by-pass all the analog circuitry of a sound card and this is what makes good sound cards expensive.

But there is still reasons to get one - just do not spend too much because for your setup going above 100 bucks will be like throwing cash thru the window.

At the moment the best card that you can find for under 100 bucks is the X-Fi Titanium and the second-best is Xonar DX. Titanium is PCI-express card - unlike xonar DX - that claims the same but only uses bridge and hence requires additional power to run. Titanium does not, it is rock solid under XP and Vista, has onboard optical input and output and does process full EAX HD in hardware - not an emulation (like the xonar) but the real thing. Yours for 85 bucks from newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024

dhlow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
so your saying getting a card over 100 bucks wouldnt be worth it with the z-5500? What do you need those really expensize cards for then like high quailty bose and stuff? Cuz i thought the logitech z-5500 was real high quality

rgsgww

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

I have a $180 Auzentech prelude 7.1 card, its really nice.

I also have the z-5500 system, sounds really good. You will need to buy an optical cable separate though.

What os you have? x-fi and vista aren't friendly, I have actually resolved the almost impossible issue.

You don't have to spend a whole lot. I bet a $100> card would be enough.

Bose and this system? Maybe the really expensive Bose. The base in some Bose systems are lacking.

I bought 70ft of 14awg stranded monster cable (because its twisted pair) for about $16
The cables on this system are 18 awg and kind of short.

dhlow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
xp pro sp3 180 for a sound cards a lot do i really need to spend that much? Im getting it for xmas and parents have allrdy spent quite a bit

rgsgww

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

No, no

I spent that much for my rig, but you can go for the already recommended card. It should do fine. If your planning any vista, x-fi is way too much trouble.

Im wondering, what games you play?

dhlow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
ugh i might upgrade to vista sometime think they will have it fixed by then?? Dont play a ton of games on pc music and nascar racing 4 old nascar simulator... and well i mainly got the z-5500 for the ps3 lol but i wanted to be able to do optical for pc as well.... got a optical switch so its all good.. Should i worry about how much i spend on my optical cables?

rgsgww

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

If you do, I fixed my x-fi problem by using Creative Alchemy software. By the time you upgrade you should be fine.

Nope, tripplite makes really cheap cables (I paid $10) works great. Sturdy construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.