cruddypuppy

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2005
I once added a PCI ATA 133 IDE card to a motherboard which only had native ATA 33 capacity so it would be compatible with a new Maxtor ATA 133 drive. A soundblaster Live card was also present. The sound would chop up every time the Hard drive was accessed including swap file use.

I ended up buying a new MOBO with IDE ATA 133 capability because the IDE card interfered with the Sound card. These days I like to go with as many built in controllers as possible (USB, Modem, LAN etc.) and let the sound card have the PCI bus all to itself.

Has this also been a problem with add-on PCI SATA HD controller cards?

C P

<font color=blue>worry is worse than trouble; the worst never happens.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
An hd controller is an hd controller whether it is ata, sata, or scsi. In a regular pc w/ 32bit pci slots each one will suck at least as much bandwidth as any other one. You would probably have had the garbled sound with any sort of hd controller. I doubt newer machines would have the same problem though. The only time I really noticed transfers to an hd on a controller was when I had a tv wonder pci. That thing ate the whole damned pci bus so every time I did a file transfer the picture got all garbled, lol. I never had garbled audio w/ my sb live 5.1 though.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>