MS-DOS boot disk created from XP

I have created MS-DOS startup disk (floppy) on XP computer for the
future use of "Ghost 2003" (which is a DOS program...)When I try to
boot from this disk Windows XP is still started and not MS-DOS as
expected; any reason/idea?
5 answers Last reply
More about boot disk created

    "Vladimir" <vkmodiin@actcom.net.il> wrote in message

    >I have created MS-DOS startup disk (floppy) on XP computer for
    >the
    > future use of "Ghost 2003" (which is a DOS program...)When I
    > try to
    > boot from this disk Windows XP is still started and not MS-DOS
    > as
    > expected; any reason/idea?

    You apparently are assuming that computers will try to boot from
    the floppy disk before the hard drive. That is not necessarily
    correct (and in your case is not).

    The order in which it tries to boot from the various devices is a
    configurable one, and is set in the BIOS setup program. You
    normally can create an order for at least three (and sometimes
    more) devices: the CD drive, the hard drive, and the floppy
    drive. Your system is obviously set so that the hard drive comes
    before the floppy.

    If you don't know how to get into the BIOS setup program, how to
    get into your BIOS depends, not on Windows, but on what
    motherboard/BIOS you have. As a matter of fact, you have to
    access the BIOS before Windows even starts to boot. One common
    way is to press the Del key when you first power on, but that's
    not necessarily right for your computer. Watch the screen
    carefully when you first boot; there's often a message there
    telling you what to do. If not, check your system documentation
    or check with your vendor.
    Also look here:
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    You need to enter the BIOS and set floppy drive before the hard drive in the
    boot sequence.
    Check your motherboard/computer manual for BIOS details.

    Are you sure the Ghost CD is not bootable?

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Vladimir" <vkmodiin@actcom.net.il> wrote in message
    >I have created MS-DOS startup disk (floppy) on XP computer for the
    > future use of "Ghost 2003" (which is a DOS program...)When I try to
    > boot from this disk Windows XP is still started and not MS-DOS as
    > expected; any reason/idea?

    Check your BIOS to ensure that the floppy drive is listed before the Hard
    Drive in the Boot Sequence order. Your motherboard manual will tell you how
    to do this.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Vladimir" <vkmodiin@actcom.net.il> wrote in message
    > I have created MS-DOS startup disk (floppy) on XP computer for the
    > future use of "Ghost 2003" (which is a DOS program...)When I try to
    > boot from this disk Windows XP is still started and not MS-DOS as
    > expected; any reason/idea?

    Hi, Vladimir.

    HOW did you create the startup floppy? By right-clicking Drive A: in My
    Computer and choosing Format? Or some other way?

    HOW are you trying to boot from it? Do you set the floppy as the boot
    device in your computer's BIOS, then put the floppy in the drive and reboot?

    I know it doesn't help you, but "It works for me!" ;^}

    Some posters have asked about creating a WinXP startup floppy and we have
    told them how to do that (by copying the WinXP boot sector and startup files
    to the floppy). That, of course, is quite different from the MS-DOS startup
    floppy.

    If you tell us step by step what you are doing and what results you are
    seeing, we should be able to help.

    It might also help to tell us the make and model of your computer (or mobo,
    if you built it yourself).

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Vladimir" <vkmodiin@actcom.net.il> wrote in message
    >I have created MS-DOS startup disk (floppy) on XP computer for the
    > future use of "Ghost 2003" (which is a DOS program...)When I try to
    > boot from this disk Windows XP is still started and not MS-DOS as
    > expected; any reason/idea?

    Change your boot sequence in the computers bios. Many are configured for the
    following:

    1st = Floppy Disk
    2nd = CD
    3rd = Hard Drive

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Vladimir" <vkmodiin@actcom.net.il> wrote in message
    >I have created MS-DOS startup disk (floppy) on XP computer for the
    > future use of "Ghost 2003" (which is a DOS program...)When I try to
    > boot from this disk Windows XP is still started and not MS-DOS as
    > expected; any reason/idea?

MS-DOS Boot Windows XP