Sign in with
Your question

New System for Video Editing, Design, etc

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 25, 2009 6:15:24 AM

Hi, I was wondering if I could ask some advice about getting a new desktop system primarily geared towards video editing and graphic design.
Specifically I would like a system that can handle editing AVCHD files smoothly and is powerful enough to work with software like After FX, Vegas, etc.
Gaming performance is not a priority, but having said that, I would be happy if I can play the occasional game like Diablo 3 when it comes out

One other important piece of information is that I live in Japan, so the systems available here are likely to be available in slightly different configurations than those in other countries. Prices will also be a bit different I guess..

My budget is quite flexible, but I am aiming for around 100,000yen (US$1000).

From my initial research I am considering 3 options at the moment, but am open to others.
1) Dell Studio XPS
2) HP Pavilion Desktop PC e9190jp/CT
3) Custom built system (have never attempted this before)

Here are the specs that are available for these in Japan:
Dell XPS
Intel i7-920 (2.66GHz, 8MB L3 Cache)
6GB(1GB x 6) DDR3-SDRAM
500GB SATA HDD (7200)
DVD super multi drive
ATI Radeon(TM) HD 4350 512MB (DVI/HDMI/VGA)

HP Pavilion Desktop PC e9190jp/CT
Core™i7-920
6GB DDR3 (1066MHz,3DIMM)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT220(1GB)
320GB (SATA, 7,200rpm)
DVD super multi drive

Both systems are roughly the same price (approx US$1000), but the HP seems to have more and better priced upgrade options (Nvidia GTS250 +$120, 2x640GB raid HDs +$100)
As such I am leaning more towards the HP at this stage.
What do you think?

Are those kind of system specs suitable for video editing etc? Are there any parts which I should consider upgrading (or downgrading)?

Also, are the video cards in these systems suitable for video editing? And what kind of hard drive setup would you recommend?

Thank you for your help
November 10, 2009 11:05:19 AM

Yes I would definitely go with the HP
because I am in the same field as you and found that HP media desktops make for sweet video editing/graphic design
and also they run intensive gaming very smoothly
m
l
!