Wireless Zero Configuration Service Problem

July 18, 2005 6:31:05 PM

On a computer running Windows XP Pro SP2, apparently after installing
automatic updates last week, the following happens at login:
Login is successful, the user's desktop background appears and that is it.
No taskbar, no desktop icons, no start button. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does nothing.
But if you press the Escape key at this point, the desktop appears and the
computer finishes booting normally.

Using MSCONFIG I have determined the problem to be the Wireless Zero
Configuration Service. If I disable it, the computer will boot normally but
the user will not be able to connect to his wireless network. I have
installed the latest device drivers. I have even reinstalled Service Pack 2.
Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

The 3 updates applied were: KB901214, KB890830 and KB903235.

Thanks,

Jeff
July 19, 2005 5:05:18 AM

Hi Jeff,

This generally has to do with display drivers. If you have recently done so
or ran the MS updates to do so, try a rollback via the Device Manager.

Your mention of msconfig, I will wager to guess you are speaking of
Services. That said, this is not the proper way to go about handling them.
Use Start/Run: services.msc

Other than that, this is the first relation to Wireless Zero being
associated with the issues of the desktop. That said, what is the type
(extension) of the desktop background being used?

Added info if needed:

If the above is not the case, use Ctrl/Alt/Delete and end process on
Explorer.exe if it is listed and either way, then go to File/New Task (Run)
and type in: Explorer.exe.

Explorer.exe repeatedly quits unexpectedly in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883791

If still nothing:

Restore Taskbar and Desktop to Default Functionality (Line 164)

To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you
may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double click the vbs
file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this
is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These
scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.

Added info and help:

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D E6B9349-1D55-4720-B374-B46727171B49@microsoft.com...
> On a computer running Windows XP Pro SP2, apparently after installing
> automatic updates last week, the following happens at login:
> Login is successful, the user's desktop background appears and that is it.
> No taskbar, no desktop icons, no start button. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does
> nothing.
> But if you press the Escape key at this point, the desktop appears and the
> computer finishes booting normally.
>
> Using MSCONFIG I have determined the problem to be the Wireless Zero
> Configuration Service. If I disable it, the computer will boot normally
> but
> the user will not be able to connect to his wireless network. I have
> installed the latest device drivers. I have even reinstalled Service Pack
> 2.
> Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.
>
> The 3 updates applied were: KB901214, KB890830 and KB903235.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

July 20, 2005 4:06:05 PM

I used msconfig as a diagnostic tool to disable all services, then add them
back in separately to determine which service was causing the problem.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete does nothing, as I mentioned in my first post. Only the
escape key does anything, in this case it causes the computer to resume
booting. It is almost as if there is a hidden prompt waiting for a response
and hitting Esc bypasses it.

As mentioned, this issue does not occur if the Wireless Zero Configuration
service is disabled, but then the user cannot access his wireless network.

Jeff

!