"Untunable channels?"

dabbler

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
I purchased an external video capture/tv tuner device on eBay to use with my laptop. It does a great job of capturing, but I have been less than thrilled with the TV tuner portion. The tuner captures well for channels 15+, but the tuner cannot tune channels 2-14. I have used the device on Comcast & Insight cable systems with no luck.

The eBay seller refused a refund. Since my primary reason to purchase this device was to capture video from my camcorder & VCR via S-video, this device has been adequate for my needs.

However, I would like to know a) whether other TV tuners have a similar bug, and b) whether I might be able to resolve this limitation.

Thank you.

dabbler

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
I have found that VirtualVCR will tune channels 2-98 just fine - other than the fact I get no audio and the capture is terrible. Apparently, the problem is with the TV Jukebox software that came with the device, not the hardware.

Are there other freeware TV Tuner drivers/software packages I can try?

I am also going to send this new information to the company that sold me this device and see if they have any ideas.

Thank you!

dabbler

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
I guess I should have done more homework first - I downloaded an updated version of the software which should fix the problem.