Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Does clean install of XP kill all malware?

Tags:
  • Malware
  • Clean Install
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
July 18, 2005 6:38:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:

If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the viruses, spyware and
other malware that is on my computer?

More about : clean install kill malware

July 18, 2005 6:51:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yes.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 8:07:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2A158AD8-0677-47FD-B94D-C5DD3A66637C@microsoft.com...
>I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:
>
> If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the viruses, spyware
> and
> other malware that is on my computer?

Some Boot sector virii will survive a clean install if all you do is a
format. You must delete all partitions on all hard drives and re-create
them. This will get rid of boot sector virii and also any dormant files on
other partitions that may infect your computer if accidently run after the
install. This means you will lose all your data and programs. Make sure you
have your data backed up. This is an extreme option. I disinfect several
hundred computers a year and have only seen two cases in the past few years
where Windows had to be reinstalled to clean an infection. Boot sector virii
are quite rare and mostly old virii that are easily cleaned by most
antivirus programs.

Another thing to consider is reinfection once Windows is installed. Do not
connect to the Internet before you have either SP2 or a firewall installed
or you will be reinfected.

Kerry
Related resources
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 10:18:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Well....yes....and no, depending on your system configuration. If you have
multiple hard drives/partitions infected files could remain on your computer
with the potentional to infect the OS again. That is, performing a clean
install you will have a virus/spyware free OS but if you were to run an
infected file from another partition you will infect Windows again.


"Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message
news:1121723510.665021.218760@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Yes.
>
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:18:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Chico wrote:
> I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:
>
> If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the viruses, spyware and
> other malware that is on my computer?


Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus or spyware problem is
rather like using an axe to trim one's fingernails. Sure, it'll
probably get the job done, but it's rather messy...., and almost always
unnecessary. Have you considered using an antivirus application to
remove the virus, instead?

However, if that's what you want to do:

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;316941

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm



--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
July 19, 2005 12:23:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for the info. A lot of people have suggested that a clean install is
an extreme measure. Well, here's my situation. I'm infected with the
Codbot.X worm and i can't get ride of it. I've tried updated versions of:
PCSafe, Ad-aware, Spysweeper, McAfee, Sophos, Counterspy, and some other
application that was supposed to specifically remove it. Nothing has worked.
I'm a little at the end of my rope and i'm sick of slow performance. I've
backed up the files that matter to me and i'm willing to do a clean install,
but if anyone could suggest a program that they KNOW can kill Codbot.X i
would welcome that info.

Thanks

"Chico" wrote:

> I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:
>
> If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the viruses, spyware and
> other malware that is on my computer?
July 19, 2005 2:01:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2A158AD8-0677-47FD-B94D-C5DD3A66637C@microsoft.com...
>I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:
>
> If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the viruses, spyware
> and
> other malware that is on my computer?

Yes if you write zeros to the entire drive then partition and format,
which makes the hard drive clean. With just a format it only takes
the pointers away, but the files are still there.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:05:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yes and everything else you have saved on your system.

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2A158AD8-0677-47FD-B94D-C5DD3A66637C@microsoft.com...
>I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:
>
> If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the viruses, spyware
> and
> other malware that is on my computer?
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:09:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The files are still there but can NOT be accessed by a new operating system
after a format/install. Therefore they can NOT be executed. Just as with any
formatted drive, you would need recovery software to make the virus active
again.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you thought you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"

"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
news:%23G4%236WAjFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> "Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2A158AD8-0677-47FD-B94D-C5DD3A66637C@microsoft.com...
>>I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:
>>
>> If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the viruses, spyware
>> and
>> other malware that is on my computer?
>
> Yes if you write zeros to the entire drive then partition and format,
> which makes the hard drive clean. With just a format it only takes
> the pointers away, but the files are still there.
>
July 19, 2005 2:40:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You are probably correct. However I see no reason to not take the extra few
minutes and be sure.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eFFslbAjFHA.476@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> The files are still there but can NOT be accessed by a new operating
> system after a format/install. Therefore they can NOT be executed. Just as
> with any formatted drive, you would need recovery software to make the
> virus active again.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>
> "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
> news:%23G4%236WAjFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:2A158AD8-0677-47FD-B94D-C5DD3A66637C@microsoft.com...
>>>I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:
>>>
>>> If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the viruses, spyware
>>> and
>>> other malware that is on my computer?
>>
>> Yes if you write zeros to the entire drive then partition and format,
>> which makes the hard drive clean. With just a format it only takes
>> the pointers away, but the files are still there.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:37:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No, some viruses like the Sasser will still prevail after a clean install.
That I have experienced myself.

The sasser virus was still there after an clean install with a manual
formatting of the harddisk.

So a clean install do not necessary take away all viruses.

--

Regards
Zadig Galbaras
A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
-----


"Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
news:2A158AD8-0677-47FD-B94D-C5DD3A66637C@microsoft.com...
>I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:
>
> If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the viruses, spyware
> and
> other malware that is on my computer?
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:37:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D bhauo$koi$1@services.kq.no...
> No, some viruses like the Sasser will still prevail after a clean install.
> That I have experienced myself.
>
> The sasser virus was still there after an clean install with a manual
> formatting of the harddisk.
>
> So a clean install do not necessary take away all viruses.
>

Sasser did not survive a clean install. What happened was you were
reinfected as soon as you connected to the Internet. Sasser is a worm that
looks for vulnerable computers on the Internet. The maximum time before
infection of an unprotected computer connected to the Internet is around
four minutes. Usually you will be infected before Windows is installed if
you are connected during the install. You must install SP2 or a firewall
before connecting to the Internet or any network.

Kerry

> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>
>
> "Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> news:2A158AD8-0677-47FD-B94D-C5DD3A66637C@microsoft.com...
>>I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:
>>
>> If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the viruses, spyware
>> and
>> other malware that is on my computer?
>
>
July 19, 2005 4:37:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Negative, you had the sasser virus after a clean install because you were
connected to the internet during the installation, with out any firewall
protection.

a clean install will remove all malicious softwares from the partition.

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941

- Computer Viruses: Description, Prevention, and Recovery
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;129972

"Zadig Galbaras" wrote:

> No, some viruses like the Sasser will still prevail after a clean install.
> That I have experienced myself.
>
> The sasser virus was still there after an clean install with a manual
> formatting of the harddisk.
>
> So a clean install do not necessary take away all viruses.
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>
>
> "Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> news:2A158AD8-0677-47FD-B94D-C5DD3A66637C@microsoft.com...
> >I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:
> >
> > If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the viruses, spyware
> > and
> > other malware that is on my computer?
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:37:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Zadig Galbaras wrote:
> No, some viruses like the Sasser will still prevail after a clean install.
> That I have experienced myself.
>
> The sasser virus was still there after an clean install with a manual
> formatting of the harddisk.
>
> So a clean install do not necessary take away all viruses.
>


No, Sasser wasn't "still there." You performed your clean installation
while connected to the Internet and were immediately reinfected. It
only takes seconds of exposure.



--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
July 19, 2005 5:09:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

>Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus or spyware problem is rather
>like using an axe to trim one's fingernails.

I agree totally. However, speaking of AOL.......

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
news:ua$aI$$iFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Chico wrote:
>> I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:
>>
>> If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the viruses, spyware
>> and other malware that is on my computer?
>
>
> Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus or spyware problem is
> rather like using an axe to trim one's fingernails. Sure, it'll probably
> get the job done, but it's rather messy...., and almost always
> unnecessary. Have you considered using an antivirus application to remove
> the virus, instead?
>
> However, if that's what you want to do:
>
> Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
> opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
> installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
> devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
>
> HOW TO Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;316941
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
>
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 7:37:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Codbot X Removal tool http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/CodbotXRemover.zip I
have not tried this as I do not have that virus/Trojan. Let me know how it
works.

--


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D BDE7CD5-8767-4609-8F78-E4D3A8A59802@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the info. A lot of people have suggested that a clean install
> is
> an extreme measure. Well, here's my situation. I'm infected with the
> Codbot.X worm and i can't get ride of it. I've tried updated versions of:
> PCSafe, Ad-aware, Spysweeper, McAfee, Sophos, Counterspy, and some other
> application that was supposed to specifically remove it. Nothing has
> worked.
> I'm a little at the end of my rope and i'm sick of slow performance. I've
> backed up the files that matter to me and i'm willing to do a clean
> install,
> but if anyone could suggest a program that they KNOW can kill Codbot.X i
> would welcome that info.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Chico" wrote:
>
>> I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:
>>
>> If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the viruses, spyware
>> and
>> other malware that is on my computer?
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:47:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Sorry Kerry but the computer was not, I repeat not, connected to the
internet.
This OS was Win2000.
I reinstalled three times, and at the last try I did a format of the
harddisk. The virus persisted.
I am no expert, but after three clean installation of an OS I thought any
virus was gone.

I then learned that this version of the virus only infected Win2000
computers.
Therefore I, in the early morning hours, begat a clean install of my
private WinXP, and then a clean install of Win2k.
That made the virus go away.

All this with no connection to the web!
I do not connect to the web before an updated viruskiller service is
established and working.
--

Regards
Zadig Galbaras
A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
-----


"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> skrev i melding
news:u5UkAt%23iFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> "Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D bhauo$koi$1@services.kq.no...
>> No, some viruses like the Sasser will still prevail after a clean
>> install.
>> That I have experienced myself.
>>
>> The sasser virus was still there after an clean install with a manual
>> formatting of the harddisk.
>>
>> So a clean install do not necessary take away all viruses.
>>
>
> Sasser did not survive a clean install. What happened was you were
> reinfected as soon as you connected to the Internet. Sasser is a worm that
> looks for vulnerable computers on the Internet. The maximum time before
> infection of an unprotected computer connected to the Internet is around
> four minutes. Usually you will be infected before Windows is installed if
> you are connected during the install. You must install SP2 or a firewall
> before connecting to the Internet or any network.
>
> Kerry
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:47:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D bielc$3d2$1@services.kq.no...
> Sorry Kerry but the computer was not, I repeat not, connected to the
> internet.
> This OS was Win2000.
> I reinstalled three times, and at the last try I did a format of the
> harddisk. The virus persisted.
> I am no expert, but after three clean installation of an OS I thought any
> virus was gone.
>
> I then learned that this version of the virus only infected Win2000
> computers.
> Therefore I, in the early morning hours, begat a clean install of my
> private WinXP, and then a clean install of Win2k.
> That made the virus go away.
>
> All this with no connection to the web!
> I do not connect to the web before an updated viruskiller service is
> established and working.


There you go. No mention of a firewall. You must install a firewall before
connecting to the Internet. A viruskiller service won't protect against
Sasser. Windows 2000 has no built in firewall. A third party firewall must
be installed.

How do you connect to the Internet? If it is via a network connection the
cable must be physically unplugged while installing. It is possible for a
virus to survive a format. I have not seen any versions of Sasser that
infect the boot sector but it's certainly possible. A format won't help you
with a boot sector virus. You must overwrite track 0. Most hard drive
manufacturers have a utility to do this.

Kerry



> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----
>
>
> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> skrev i melding
> news:u5UkAt%23iFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> "Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:D bhauo$koi$1@services.kq.no...
>>> No, some viruses like the Sasser will still prevail after a clean
>>> install.
>>> That I have experienced myself.
>>>
>>> The sasser virus was still there after an clean install with a manual
>>> formatting of the harddisk.
>>>
>>> So a clean install do not necessary take away all viruses.
>>>
>>
>> Sasser did not survive a clean install. What happened was you were
>> reinfected as soon as you connected to the Internet. Sasser is a worm
>> that looks for vulnerable computers on the Internet. The maximum time
>> before infection of an unprotected computer connected to the Internet is
>> around four minutes. Usually you will be infected before Windows is
>> installed if you are connected during the install. You must install SP2
>> or a firewall before connecting to the Internet or any network.
>>
>> Kerry
>
>
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:47:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Dear Kerry & friends:

"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

>How do you connect to the Internet? If it is via a network connection the
>cable must be physically unplugged while installing. It is possible for a
>virus to survive a format. I have not seen any versions of Sasser that
>infect the boot sector but it's certainly possible. A format won't help you
>with a boot sector virus. You must overwrite track 0. Most hard drive
>manufacturers have a utility to do this.

That it interesting!!!

Would be better if:

1.- The disk is repartitioned prior it is reformatted, or
2.- One issues the FIXMBR command.

Would any of the above measures overwrite track 0?


Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:47:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Juan I. Cahis" <jiclbch@SINBASURAattglobal.net> wrote in message
news:o 08qd1dhfoe3ta9qlnngg4hp74s3m77o44@4ax.com...
Dear Kerry & friends:

"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

>How do you connect to the Internet? If it is via a network connection the
>cable must be physically unplugged while installing. It is possible for a
>virus to survive a format. I have not seen any versions of Sasser that
>infect the boot sector but it's certainly possible. A format won't help you
>with a boot sector virus. You must overwrite track 0. Most hard drive
>manufacturers have a utility to do this.

>That it interesting!!!

>Would be better if:

>1.- The disk is repartitioned prior it is reformatted, or
>2.- One issues the FIXMBR command.

>Would any of the above measures overwrite track 0?

If you boot from the hard drive the virus is active and could intercept
commands to overwrite it and make it seem like they worked. You need to boot
from a CD, floppy drive, USB drive etc. so the virus is not loaded. Any
program that will boot from a different media could be used. Linux, BartPe,
etc. would work. Most boot sector virii encrypt the original boot sector and
relocate it. Booting from the XP CD to the recovery console and using FIXMBR
could result in an unbootable disk. In addition the virus could have two
parts so there could still be part of it left active in the Windows
installation. Deleting all partitions and recreating them during a clean
install will work. A lot of unsophisticated users will not do this step
properly and the virus will still be active. The easiest and surest way is
to download a program capable of booting from removable media and
overwriting track 0.

Kerry
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:50:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I agree too, but an updated viruskiller didn't remove it, and I wasn't able
to find the correct removal tool on the net.
Reinstallation of a computer is regarded as a last resort, at least on my
behalf.

--

Regards
Zadig Galbaras
A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
-----


"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> skrev i melding
news:eGZn5hCjFHA.3148@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus or spyware problem is rather
> >like using an axe to trim one's fingernails.
>
> I agree totally. However, speaking of AOL.......
>
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 7:10:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:%23G4%236WAjFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Frank <bbunny@bqik.net> typed:

> "Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2A158AD8-0677-47FD-B94D-C5DD3A66637C@microsoft.com...
>> I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:
>>
>> If I do a clean install of my XP, will it kill all the
>> viruses,
>> spyware and
>> other malware that is on my computer?
>
> Yes if you write zeros to the entire drive then partition and
> format,
> which makes the hard drive clean.


Nonsense. That's completely unnecessary.


> With just a format it only takes
> the pointers away, but the files are still there.


Yes, until they are overwritten by the new operating system
installation and subsequent use of the drive, which is what he's
planning on doing. Even if some files remained, and even if some
those files contained viruses, they would be completely innocuous
without the pointers to them being there.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:41:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Kelly wrote:
>>Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus or spyware problem is rather
>>like using an axe to trim one's fingernails.
>
>
> I agree totally. However, speaking of AOL.......
>


Well, that would be one of those exceptions to the rule. ;-}
Formatting the drive shouldn't be necessary, but it is the quickest way
to completely remove the AOL "virus."


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
July 20, 2005 3:33:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thumbs up and sad to say, but true. :o (

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
news:elo9zOMjFHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Kelly wrote:
>>>Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus or spyware problem is rather
>>>like using an axe to trim one's fingernails.
>>
>>
>> I agree totally. However, speaking of AOL.......
>>
>
>
> Well, that would be one of those exceptions to the rule. ;-} Formatting
> the drive shouldn't be necessary, but it is the quickest way to completely
> remove the AOL "virus."
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once. - RAH
July 21, 2005 10:18:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Zadig Galbaras wrote:
> I swear to you guys, I reinstalled that computer three times, not connected
> to the net whatsoever, booting on the original Win2k CD, and formatting the
> HDD during the installation routine, and the darn thing started downcounting
> every time.
> Then I installed my own WinXP, because I read somewhere on the net that this
> virus was a Win2k virus not executable in WinXP.
> That worked fine.
> Then I reinstalled Win2k and now it worked as it should.
> All the time using original CD's of both OS's, and NOT physically connected
> to the net!
> I was flabbergasted I'll tell you!!
>
>
I know on my Dell, I debugged the hard drive before reinstall...I think
that's the only way to get rid of anything Mala...they had a command
prompt application and instructions on how to...check your
manufacturer??? JRA