BSOD on startup

andreitulbure

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Hi, I've been having some random BSOD when starting windows (It gets past the welcome screen, shows the desktop and loads ATI catalyst, connects to the network and maybe a few more seconds then BSOD). This happens generally 1 time (but I also had 2 chained BSOD) and after that the system is stable no matter the stress I put on it.

I've reinstalled Windows and updated it's drivers but without any result. Also thought of faulty RAM but in that case, If I'm not mistaken, It should enter an endless loop of BSOD on startup. The system being stable after 1-2 bsod on startup is very odd and this is why I'm opened to suggestions about how to find/fix this issue.

andreitulbure

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
This is a new problem, been happening for one month now.

I'll search for a RAM test, or if you could recommend one I will try it.

I'm running Windows 7 on an I5-2400 @3.10GHz
Z68AP-D3 Mother board from GIGabyte
2X4 GB Corsair DDR 3 - Dual channeled
1 TB WD-Caviar Blue Hard disk drive
Radeon 5670HD, 1 GB DDR5 from GigaByte
And finally one LEadtek Tv2000 TV Tunner that I haven't been using in a while hence I haven't installed the drivers for it on my last windows installation

And as for the power suppy, it's a RaidMax RX-420

*Later edit: Memory test finished without any problems

andreitulbure

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
On Fri 21.09.2012 04:18:18 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092112-13587-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x70040)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x1236, 0xFFFFFA8007636ED0, 0xFFFFFA8007636F90, 0x20BA93)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

hmm it seems a driver is the cause... any way of finding out which one ?

isnogud

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Hi - I got the same Problem:

System:

MB : Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair (16 GB Dual Channel) D316GB 1600-999 XMS
Grafics: Gainward GTX 560 Phantom
Processor: Intel I7-3770K
Harddiscs: 120 GB SSD , 1,5 TB Samsung HD
Power: 600W Aerocool Strike - X

Operating System: Windows 7 64bit extreme

System crashes mostly at 1st turn on of the day with a blue screen, sometimes twice - afterwards the system is running stable all the day.
But - If I run FARCRY2 the system crashes after a few minutes - blue screen after a while. Also in HalfLife 2 DM. No Problem in Fear 3.
Running Photoshop (64bit) all day causes no problems.

Dont know what might cause that.

Christian

isnogud

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I did forget to mention - system is new - all newly built together - so there could be no virus.

Is it a problem of the mainboard? Both systems same mainboard..

andreitulbure

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
So I've activated Verifier to monitor non-Microsoft drivers and after entering a permanent BSOD loop on startup (before welcome screen), entered Safe Mode, deactivated verifier, and got this report from WhoCrashed:

On Sat 22.09.2012 06:02:18 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092212-20155-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dtsoftbus01.sys (dtsoftbus01+0x1324)
Bugcheck code: 0xC9 (0x23E, 0xFFFFF880018C2324, 0xFFFFF9800A2FCEE0, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dtsoftbus01.sys
product: DAEMON Tools
company: DT Soft Ltd
description: DAEMON Tools Virtual Bus Driver
Bug check description: This is the bug check code for all Driver Verifier
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: dtsoftbus01.sys (DAEMON Tools Virtual Bus Driver, DT Soft Ltd).
Google query: dtsoftbus01.sys DT Soft Ltd DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION

Uninstalled Daemon tools (I hope it got rid of the .sys driver also) and I hope that I found the culprit. This remains to be seen in the next hours

andreitulbure

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
wasn't daemon tools. This morning I've got the bsod again. I'm starting to suspect a faulty capacitor on either the mainboard or the videocard. Having bsod just on the first start would be explained in this case. The problem is that with these new age circuitry, I cannot detect using just my eyes if a capacitor is blown or not.

andreitulbure

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I still haven't found the problem... But I did found a workaround. I'm not shutting down my PC, but instead I'm putting it to sleep every time I want to turn it off, and I don't get BSOD when waking on. 4 days without BSOD.

andreitulbure

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I've recently made an upgrade which it seems had solved my problem. Got myself a new 128GB SSD which I use strictly for the OS and installed apps. It's been 2 weeks now since the upgrade and not a single BSOD. So it get's down to this: Either the old HDD (now the storage hdd) has bad sectors or some other problem, or somewhere in the million updates that I allowed windows to install on the old HDD there was something rotten. I haven't got to use scout_03's suggestion because I never have the physical time for testing. However if a miracle happens and I'll get the time for testing I will.