SP2 restoring a backup

I have successfully been running Windows XP Home Edition SP1 with all
updates & McAfee Internet Security Suite 2004 version 6.0 with all regular
updates since August 2004 with no problems.

I backup my complete C Drive weekly using Windows NTbackup Utility that
comes with Windows XP
& have had to restore my complete system a few times using my Rescue Disks &
then restoring my backup
from an External USB hard drive .

All of these have worked OK.

However after installing SP2 & testing OK for a week I then did a complete
C drive backup to my External
USB hard disk as I have done previously . All appeared OK. I then decided
to test a complete restore of my C drive using my Rescue Disks & then
restoring my backup from External Drive as I had done before.

The restore seemed to work OK . Then I rebooted and got a fatal BLUE SCREEN
with the following

Technical Information : STOP 0x0000006B ( 0xC000007A , 0x00000008 ,
0x00000000 , 0x00000000 )

I then had to do a complete Rescue Disk & restore my last SP1 backup to get
going again.

Is there a problem with Windows NTBackup Utility under SP2 ??

I run AdAware & Spybot ( with all updates ) everyday & they show no problems.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards
ymord

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Is there a problem with Windows NTBackup Utility under SP2 ??

NO.

ntbackup functions perfectly fine under SP2.

however ther may be an issue with restoring to a SP2 state, when you do not
have SP2 installed(using recovery media), try installing SP2 after a system
recovery, then try your backup set.(this sort of defeats the purpose of a
Full backup but may resolve your issue)

I have not had an issue with NTBackup and sp2, but i am using an XPP SP2
installation CD, not recovery media.

"ymord" wrote:

> I have successfully been running Windows XP Home Edition SP1 with all
> updates & McAfee Internet Security Suite 2004 version 6.0 with all regular
> updates since August 2004 with no problems.
>
> I backup my complete C Drive weekly using Windows NTbackup Utility that
> comes with Windows XP
> & have had to restore my complete system a few times using my Rescue Disks &
> then restoring my backup
> from an External USB hard drive .
>
> All of these have worked OK.
>
> However after installing SP2 & testing OK for a week I then did a complete
> C drive backup to my External
> USB hard disk as I have done previously . All appeared OK. I then decided
> to test a complete restore of my C drive using my Rescue Disks & then
> restoring my backup from External Drive as I had done before.
>
> The restore seemed to work OK . Then I rebooted and got a fatal BLUE SCREEN
> with the following
>
> Technical Information : STOP 0x0000006B ( 0xC000007A , 0x00000008 ,
> 0x00000000 , 0x00000000 )
>

> I then had to do a complete Rescue Disk & restore my last SP1 backup to get
> going again.
>
> Is there a problem with Windows NTBackup Utility under SP2 ??
>
> I run AdAware & Spybot ( with all updates ) everyday & they show no problems.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
> ymord

Thanks anon

Do you mean

1. Boot from my original rescue disks ( 2 of them ) to recover original
OS
2. Restore my SP1 full backup with NTbackup utility & replace all files
option set
3. Restore my SP2 full backup over the top of SP1 backup & replace all
files set

Regards ymord