Suggested storage/transport schemes for painted metals

Hi folks,

I have a wonderful hand-painted, metal, set of European knights and Saracens
from the Renniassance <sp?> battle for Malta.

Any good suggestions for safe storage/transport of said figures? I am
thinking a sheet of silk or quality nylon around each piece and then into a
foam lined camera case. But, any successful ideas anyone has experienced are
appreciated.

"SamVanga" <samvanga@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a wonderful hand-painted, metal, set of European knights and
> Saracens
> from the Renniassance <sp?> battle for Malta.
>
> Any good suggestions for safe storage/transport of said figures? I am
> thinking a sheet of silk or quality nylon around each piece and then into
> foam lined camera case. But, any successful ideas anyone has experienced
> are
> appreciated.

The problem with wrapping em up and all that is it's a pain to do.
I like magnetic basing.
Some people just stick mag vinyl on the base of their figures and store
them in a steel toolbox.
That type of toolbox seems nigh on impossible to find nowadays.
I do it the other way round and base on steel squares or uk coins which then
stick to the mag vinyl I line the toolbx/a4 boxfile with.

--
Regards,
Andy O'Neill

"Andy O'Neill" <aon14nocannedmeat@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> "SamVanga" <samvanga@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Any good suggestions for safe storage/transport of said figures? I am
>> thinking a sheet of silk or quality nylon around each piece and then into
>> foam lined camera case. But, any successful ideas anyone has experienced
>> are
>> appreciated.
>>

> The problem with wrapping em up and all that is it's a pain to do.
> I like magnetic basing.
> Some people just stick mag vinyl on the base of their figures and store
> them in a steel toolbox.
> That type of toolbox seems nigh on impossible to find nowadays.
> I do it the other way round and base on steel squares or uk coins which
> then stick to the mag vinyl I line the toolbx/a4 boxfile with.

Yeah, what Andy said. Computer keyboard boxes work best for me; I scavange
them from work. Don't use too big of a box, or the weight of the lead inside
may break the box's back, and yours. This system works grea for local
transport around town. If I wanted to ship the figures, I'd fill the
magnetized box with plastic peanuts to further immobilize the figures, and
pack the carrying case inside a larger crate, cushioned by lots more plastic
peanuts.

Out from under a rock popped Irving Horowitz and said

> Yeah, what Andy said. Computer keyboard boxes work best for me; I
> scavange them from work.

Also Dell laptop parts boxes. I got some brilliant boxes which contained
the USB cards for Xerox WCP55 printer/photocopiers the other day.

--
rob singers
pull finger to reply

"SamVanga" <samvanga@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have a wonderful hand-painted, metal, set of European knights and
> Saracens
> from the Renniassance <sp?> battle for Malta.
>
> Any good suggestions for safe storage/transport of said figures? I am
> thinking a sheet of silk or quality nylon around each piece and then into
> foam lined camera case. But, any successful ideas anyone has experienced
> are
> appreciated.

Personally I find magnetic basing much easier.

Adhesive magnetic strips on the bottom of the base and Box Files of various
sizes (to accommodate spears/cavalry/elephants/AFV antenna etc) lined with
steel paper. I've transported things hundreds of miles with no breakages or
damage - just don't tip the boxes on their side! Box files stack on my
shelves easier than a myriad of old cardboard boxes, cake tins, computer
keyboard boxes & pizza boxes.

Cheers
Martin

I recently bought a few fishing tackle boxes. They have removable compartments
so you can arrange and rearrange the sizes. Clear plastic and very sturdy.
RJS