Sign in with
Your question

B/W Laser Printer - Brother 2040 vs 2140

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 27, 2008 11:47:39 AM

I'm just about to pick up a cheap black and white laser printer, for my everyday printing needs (university student) - my bubble jet is horrid and not printing properly. I've basically narrowed it down to the two models listed above, since they both seem to be cheap and reasonably rated.

What I can't decide between, is which model to buy - I've been suggested to buy the 2040 because it's cheaper in price ($79 AUD) compared to the 2140 ($115 AUD). As far as the toners are concerned, I lose out on 1000 sheets with the initial purchase buying the newer 2140 - but if I buy the high yield toner subsequently it is actually cheaper (though currently I need to buy it in quantities of 3).

So, which one should I really opt for? Alternatively are there other suggestions?
December 25, 2009 10:16:31 PM

2040 is better supplies are cheaper and re-manufacutured toners and drums work OK.
2170 is quirky and will always need OEM products. It rejects refilled cartridges and will not work.
So I go with 2040. Otherwise no big difference in quality of output for standard BW printing.
!