Sign in with
Your question

Which Windows

Last response: in Windows 7
September 21, 2012 3:36:54 PM

I have done a build with a pc but i do not have a operating system. Windows 7 is expensive but i have seen OEM out there and have no idea what it means. Through my college i can get windows ultimate but it is an upgrade but on the website it says it can upgrade any OEM. Please help me out I dont know what it means

More about : windows

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
September 21, 2012 3:53:51 PM

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer - It is for system builders to supply with a new computer, it is a non-transferable license which means once it is installed it is only valid on that machine unless you suffer a motherboard failure in which case you can request a reactivation from the overlords at M$.

If you upgrade the motherboard or build another PC those nice people at Microshaft insist you buy another copy, you can however get a retail copy which is transferable. To use the upgrade you will need to own a legal copy of a qualifying product.
September 21, 2012 3:56:45 PM

Quote:
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer - It is for system builders to supply with a new computer, it is a non-transferable license which means once it is installed it is only valid on that machine unless you suffer a motherboard failure in which case you can request a reactivation from the overlords at M$.

If you upgrade the motherboard or build another PC those nice people at Microshaft insist you buy another copy, you can however get a retail copy which is transferable. To use the upgrade you will need to own a legal copy of qualifying product.

So will the OEM work? Also i was looking on office depot and they have a Windows but not sure if its the OEM or full version here is the shortcut http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/216409/Microsoft-...
Related resources
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
September 21, 2012 4:14:08 PM

jbmaverick50 said:
So will the OEM work? Also i was looking on office depot and they have a Windows but not sure if its the OEM or full version here is the shortcut http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/216409/Microsoft-...

The "Product Info" says it is OEM. It will work, however you will be breaking the agreement of the license so therefore it will be "illegal". Your choice.
a b $ Windows 7
September 21, 2012 4:21:24 PM

You don't need an os to use the upgrade. You can still do a clean install with it on a blank hdd.
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
September 21, 2012 4:28:12 PM

k1114 said:
You don't need an os to use the upgrade. You can still do a clean install with it on a blank hdd.

Technically you can, legally you can't.

Extract from the EULA:-

"To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from,"
September 21, 2012 4:30:55 PM

You can use an OEM copy on your PC as long its a new build or purchase with a hard drive upgrade. Since technically you have a new build as in your case.

Some colleges and universities have Select license agreements with Microsoft. Its a site license fee they pay annually that allows them to use multiple copies of client products such as office and client OS and not worry about individual licenses.

As for the discount Windows they are selling at your college. Its part of the Select agreement. You can sometimes get a discounted rates on some products they can sell to students.
!