What Faetures from Windows 2000 are Lost if I switch to XP..

July 18, 2005 7:16:06 PM

I have to replace a laptop that was stolen that had Win 200 Pro installed on
it. I used it to remotely access other computers, syncronize files with home
computer(Windows 2000 Pro installed), and connect to neworks when I was in
other offices. I also used hibernate. Question is:
Will I lose abilities I had with Windows 2000 Pro by buying a system with XP
Home installed on it rather than XP Pro...and what features will I lose.
Can I stll network with home machines (peer to peer) and other offices
(domains)
Can I still hibernate?
Can I still syncronize files?
I could upgrade the home computer to XP Pro if need be.
Thanks for any and all info
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 7:46:01 PM

"cpyou" <cpyou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have to replace a laptop that was stolen that had Win 200 Pro installed
>on
> it. I used it to remotely access other computers, syncronize files with
> home
> computer(Windows 2000 Pro installed), and connect to neworks when I was in
> other offices. I also used hibernate. Question is:
> Will I lose abilities I had with Windows 2000 Pro by buying a system with
> XP
> Home installed on it rather than XP Pro...and what features will I lose.
> Can I stll network with home machines (peer to peer) and other offices
> (domains)
> Can I still hibernate?
> Can I still syncronize files?
> I could upgrade the home computer to XP Pro if need be.
> Thanks for any and all info

You cannot log onto a domain with Home. If you share files Home only
supports simple file sharing and it's very awkward to change NTFS
permisssions. The rest should work OK.

Kerry
July 18, 2005 7:46:01 PM

XPH cannot connect to a domain.

xph does hibernate.

Five editions of Windows XP compared
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.m...

"cpyou" wrote:

> I have to replace a laptop that was stolen that had Win 200 Pro installed on
> it. I used it to remotely access other computers, syncronize files with home
> computer(Windows 2000 Pro installed), and connect to neworks when I was in
> other offices. I also used hibernate. Question is:
> Will I lose abilities I had with Windows 2000 Pro by buying a system with XP
> Home installed on it rather than XP Pro...and what features will I lose.
> Can I stll network with home machines (peer to peer) and other offices
> (domains)
> Can I still hibernate?
> Can I still syncronize files?
> I could upgrade the home computer to XP Pro if need be.
> Thanks for any and all info
July 18, 2005 8:26:02 PM

Thanks for the Info, One more question:
Can I use remote desktop with Home edition to access remote servers?

"cpyou" wrote:

> I have to replace a laptop that was stolen that had Win 200 Pro installed on
> it. I used it to remotely access other computers, syncronize files with home
> computer(Windows 2000 Pro installed), and connect to neworks when I was in
> other offices. I also used hibernate. Question is:
> Will I lose abilities I had with Windows 2000 Pro by buying a system with XP
> Home installed on it rather than XP Pro...and what features will I lose.
> Can I stll network with home machines (peer to peer) and other offices
> (domains)
> Can I still hibernate?
> Can I still syncronize files?
> I could upgrade the home computer to XP Pro if need be.
> Thanks for any and all info
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 9:04:37 PM

> Thanks for the Info, One more question:
> Can I use remote desktop with Home edition to access remote servers?

Yes you can use XP Home to connect to a remote server. XP Home can be used
as a client but not a server.

Kerry

> "cpyou" wrote:
>
>> I have to replace a laptop that was stolen that had Win 200 Pro installed
>> on
>> it. I used it to remotely access other computers, syncronize files with
>> home
>> computer(Windows 2000 Pro installed), and connect to neworks when I was
>> in
>> other offices. I also used hibernate. Question is:
>> Will I lose abilities I had with Windows 2000 Pro by buying a system with
>> XP
>> Home installed on it rather than XP Pro...and what features will I lose.
>> Can I stll network with home machines (peer to peer) and other offices
>> (domains)
>> Can I still hibernate?
>> Can I still syncronize files?
>> I could upgrade the home computer to XP Pro if need be.
>> Thanks for any and all info
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 10:45:34 PM

You will need Windows XP Professional if you connect to a domain in your
office. Nothing will be lost.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban