What Faetures from Windows 2000 are Lost if I switch to XP..

I have to replace a laptop that was stolen that had Win 200 Pro installed on
it. I used it to remotely access other computers, syncronize files with home
computer(Windows 2000 Pro installed), and connect to neworks when I was in
other offices. I also used hibernate. Question is:
Will I lose abilities I had with Windows 2000 Pro by buying a system with XP
Home installed on it rather than XP Pro...and what features will I lose.
Can I stll network with home machines (peer to peer) and other offices
(domains)
Can I still hibernate?
Can I still syncronize files?
I could upgrade the home computer to XP Pro if need be.
Thanks for any and all info
5 answers Last reply
More about what faetures windows 2000 lost switch

    "cpyou" <cpyou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have to replace a laptop that was stolen that had Win 200 Pro installed
    >on
    > it. I used it to remotely access other computers, syncronize files with
    > home
    > computer(Windows 2000 Pro installed), and connect to neworks when I was in
    > other offices. I also used hibernate. Question is:
    > Will I lose abilities I had with Windows 2000 Pro by buying a system with
    > XP
    > Home installed on it rather than XP Pro...and what features will I lose.
    > Can I stll network with home machines (peer to peer) and other offices
    > (domains)
    > Can I still hibernate?
    > Can I still syncronize files?
    > I could upgrade the home computer to XP Pro if need be.
    > Thanks for any and all info

    You cannot log onto a domain with Home. If you share files Home only
    supports simple file sharing and it's very awkward to change NTFS
    permisssions. The rest should work OK.

    Kerry

    XPH cannot connect to a domain.

    xph does hibernate.

    Five editions of Windows XP compared
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx

    "cpyou" wrote:

    > I have to replace a laptop that was stolen that had Win 200 Pro installed on
    > it. I used it to remotely access other computers, syncronize files with home
    > computer(Windows 2000 Pro installed), and connect to neworks when I was in
    > other offices. I also used hibernate. Question is:
    > Will I lose abilities I had with Windows 2000 Pro by buying a system with XP
    > Home installed on it rather than XP Pro...and what features will I lose.
    > Can I stll network with home machines (peer to peer) and other offices
    > (domains)
    > Can I still hibernate?
    > Can I still syncronize files?
    > I could upgrade the home computer to XP Pro if need be.
    > Thanks for any and all info

    Thanks for the Info, One more question:
    Can I use remote desktop with Home edition to access remote servers?

    > Thanks for the Info, One more question:
    > Can I use remote desktop with Home edition to access remote servers?

    Yes you can use XP Home to connect to a remote server. XP Home can be used
    as a client but not a server.

    Kerry

    > "cpyou" wrote:
    >
    >> I have to replace a laptop that was stolen that had Win 200 Pro installed
    >> on
    >> it. I used it to remotely access other computers, syncronize files with
    >> home
    >> computer(Windows 2000 Pro installed), and connect to neworks when I was
    >> in
    >> other offices. I also used hibernate. Question is:
    >> Will I lose abilities I had with Windows 2000 Pro by buying a system with
    >> XP
    >> Home installed on it rather than XP Pro...and what features will I lose.
    >> Can I stll network with home machines (peer to peer) and other offices
    >> (domains)
    >> Can I still hibernate?
    >> Can I still syncronize files?
    >> I could upgrade the home computer to XP Pro if need be.
    >> Thanks for any and all info

    You will need Windows XP Professional if you connect to a domain in your
    office. Nothing will be lost.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "cpyou" <cpyou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have to replace a laptop that was stolen that had Win 200 Pro installed
    >on
    > it. I used it to remotely access other computers, syncronize files with
    > home
    > computer(Windows 2000 Pro installed), and connect to neworks when I was in
    > other offices. I also used hibernate. Question is:
    > Will I lose abilities I had with Windows 2000 Pro by buying a system with
    > XP
    > Home installed on it rather than XP Pro...and what features will I lose.
    > Can I stll network with home machines (peer to peer) and other offices
    > (domains)
    > Can I still hibernate?
    > Can I still syncronize files?
    > I could upgrade the home computer to XP Pro if need be.
    > Thanks for any and all info

Windows 2000 Windows XP