Help - can't install Palm desktop

September 27, 2004 2:34:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I had a hard drive crash. Installed new drive and reinstalled Windows XP.
Unfortunately I still had another drive in the box with a primary partition, so
XP installed itself as drive letter D: rather than C:. I've been told I can't
change this now. Reinstalling is not really an option 'cause I've spent a week
recovering data and reinstalling apps. One of the last ones to be done is the
Palm Desktop, so I can synch again.

I've tried the Desktop 4SP1 and the new Desktop 4.14. Neither will isnatll
because they insist on installing something to drive C:, which doesn't exist.

Can anyone think of a way to do this? Actually, the program files and data
files are all there, what I really need are the registry entries, Can anyone
help with an exported REG file?

More about : install palm desktop

September 27, 2004 4:23:05 AM

OSIRIS wrote:
> I had a hard drive crash. Installed new drive and reinstalled Windows XP.
> Unfortunately I still had another drive in the box with a primary partition, so
> XP installed itself as drive letter D: rather than C:. I've been told I can't
> change this now. Reinstalling is not really an option 'cause I've spent a week
> recovering data and reinstalling apps. One of the last ones to be done is the
> Palm Desktop, so I can synch again.
>
> I've tried the Desktop 4SP1 and the new Desktop 4.14. Neither will isnatll
> because they insist on installing something to drive C:, which doesn't exist.
>
> Can anyone think of a way to do this? Actually, the program files and data
> files are all there, what I really need are the registry entries, Can anyone
> help with an exported REG file?

Assuming drive C: does not actually exist, you can issue the command

SUBST C: D:\

from the command line. Now, drive C is the same thing as drive D. Issue
the command SUBST C: /D to remove the substitution. I have no idea what
will happen when you remove the substitution though - I imagine it will
cause the Desktop app to fail, so you would need to leave the SUBST
command in place (AUTOEXEC / STARTUP batch file).
September 27, 2004 5:07:17 AM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:23:05 GMT, Dan <dbrussee@nc.rr.com> wrote:

>Assuming drive C: does not actually exist, you can issue the command
>
>SUBST C: D:\
>
>from the command line. Now, drive C is the same thing as drive D. Issue
>the command SUBST C: /D to remove the substitution. I have no idea what
>will happen when you remove the substitution though - I imagine it will
>cause the Desktop app to fail, so you would need to leave the SUBST
>command in place (AUTOEXEC / STARTUP batch file).

Thanks, Dan. I used the subst command and it worked to allow me to install the
Palm desktop. A search of the registry found no entries with "C:\" in then and
the program works.

Sure would be nice if I could wave a magic wand and change the drive to C:

Oh well...
Related resources
September 27, 2004 5:44:12 AM

OSIRIS wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:23:05 GMT, Dan <dbrussee@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Assuming drive C: does not actually exist, you can issue the command
>>
>>SUBST C: D:\
>>

>>from the command line. Now, drive C is the same thing as drive D. Issue
>
>>the command SUBST C: /D to remove the substitution. I have no idea what
>>will happen when you remove the substitution though - I imagine it will
>>cause the Desktop app to fail, so you would need to leave the SUBST
>>command in place (AUTOEXEC / STARTUP batch file).
>

> Thanks, Dan. I used the subst command and it worked to allow me to install the
> Palm desktop. A search of the registry found no entries with "C:\" in then and
> the program works.
>
> Sure would be nice if I could wave a magic wand and change the drive to C:

Probably could be done in the BIOS, but then your existing progs would
fail. Sorry. Looks like the long-term solution is a rebuild after all.
For now, at least everything works and at least you know why the others
dont. I doubt there is much of a real issue with it as is.
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 6:41:25 AM

<Sure would be nice if I could wave a magic wand and change the drive to C:>

Would Partition Magic do this?
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com
henryp@bhphotovideo.com
September 28, 2004 8:42:26 PM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:44:12 GMT, Dan <dbrussee@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>For now, at least everything works and at least you know why the others
>dont. I doubt there is much of a real issue with it as is.

Sigh; I guess you're right.
!