Password protection

July 18, 2005 8:29:01 PM

The hard drive on one of our computers has a problem with the OS which makes
it impossible to start up properly. The only solution is to rebuild it but I
need to save the data on it (important work etc.) but I obviously I can't
access it and burn it on to DVD's etc. I've rigged up the corrupt hard drive
in our second computer as a slave/secondary hard drive but unfortunately my
profile was password protected making my files inaccessible now. Any way to
get around this at all? Perhaps a code from the Microsoft Cooperation itself?
or anything else.

More about : password protection

July 18, 2005 9:56:15 PM

Finn Richardson wrote:

> The hard drive on one of our computers has a problem with the OS which
> makes it impossible to start up properly. The only solution is to
> rebuild it but I need to save the data on it (important work etc.) but
> I obviously I can't access it and burn it on to DVD's etc. I've rigged
> up the corrupt hard drive in our second computer as a slave/secondary
> hard drive but unfortunately my profile was password protected making
> my files inaccessible now. Any way to get around this at all? Perhaps
> a code from the Microsoft Cooperation itself? or anything else.

1. You can try taking ownership of the files:

Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

2. If that doesn't work, you will be able to get the files off with
Knoppix, a Linux distro on a live cd. You will need a computer with two
cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR a usb thumb drive with enough
capacity to hold your data. To get Knoppix, you need a computer with a
fast Internet connection and third-party burning software. Download the
Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable cd. Then
boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. If you are
using the usb thumb drive, right-click on its icon (on the Desktop) to
get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read Only". Then
click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action in the
window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open instead
of the traditional MS Windows' double-click. Otherwise, use the K3b
burning program to burn the files to cd/dvd-r's.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com