Sign in with
Your question
Closed

how to disable keyboard power off button

Last response: in Components
February 20, 2005 3:35:10 PM

I want to disable the power/sleep buttons that are on my keyboard, since I accidently hit them and turn the computer off.

Is this something that has to be disabled in bios? This is on a dell lattitude laptop c610 and I don't know how to get into the bios before the harddisk encryption software takes control.
February 23, 2005 2:18:40 AM

That is a very good question, I'd be curious as well. One thing you could do that I have done is just pop out those keys... obviously you'd only want to do that if you never use these keys for their intended purpose.

Seems I accidentally hit these keys most often when playing games....... dammit.

--------------------------------------------
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.
February 23, 2005 1:25:01 PM

Don't think it's a BIOS function. I suspect those keyboards come with some drivers under windows, and you can probably assign them different functions in some control panel applet.

If you kill the app that's monitoring the special buttons, and make sure your KB is installed as a 'standard' keyboard (102 keys? can't remember), then none of those little buttons will work, I suspect.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen
Related resources
February 24, 2005 4:38:03 PM

I just popped those keys off my keyboard with a knife, lol. It was a quick and easy solution :) 

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
February 25, 2005 12:35:17 PM

My home keyboard doesn't even have the windows key :smile:

If I need a keyboard shortcut for something, I'll make one myself (e.g. Explorer = CTRL+ALT+E)

---
A64 3200+ Winchester @ 258x10=2580Mhz, ~1.52 Vcore
1Gb RAM, running at various strange speeds... :lol: 
Voltmodded Sapphire 9800Pro @ 450/350 w/ modded VGA silencer 3.
February 25, 2005 2:07:04 PM

no, it doesnt require any driver.

this is my boomstick!
February 25, 2005 3:24:26 PM

Don't require a driver at all, or just that XP comes with built-in support?

Surely there's a way of re-configuring the keys though? (or setting them to nothing). I had an M$ keyboard with a load of weird keys, and that had some crappy tray application that handled the weirdo keys, and IIRC they simply wouldn't work if that wasn't running... but that was a long time ago now, and I was on 98SE. That KB started going mental after a bit, so now I just have an old(ish) Compaq standard keyboard. I see no point in changing it as it's still very nice to type on.

---
A64 3200+ Winchester @ 258x10=2580Mhz, ~1.52 Vcore
1Gb RAM, running at various strange speeds... :lol: 
Voltmodded Sapphire 9800Pro @ 450/350 w/ modded VGA silencer 3.
Anonymous
October 9, 2009 1:29:58 PM

you always could get the g15 gameing keybored it locks the windows button so u cant push it
October 9, 2009 2:16:49 PM

4 and a half years later...

Mods - Can we lock this thread, please?
October 9, 2009 9:20:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!