ON TOPIC MINIATURES SITE RUN BY RIGHT WING MANIAC :)

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Nor will it remove people like Jimi who attempted to draw me into a
reason discussion off group and then told me he was telling all his
friends not to deal with me at : http://www.minifigures.co.uk/

where incidentally you can buy beautifully painted 15mm Historical War
GAME figures for only .90 UK Pence instead of the almost universal
£1.50.

So roll up roll up, see the Right Wing Fascist Monster at play, read
my philosophy, hate me, but do yourself a favour and buy from some one
who has been in all areas of the wargaming hobby since 1964.

Actually this is so good it needs it's own Post.

That's http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
33 answers Last reply
More about topic miniatures site wing maniac
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:12:48 +0000, Donnie
    <donnie@dinonino.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

    >Nor will it remove people like Jimi who attempted to draw me into a
    >reason discussion off group and then told me he was telling all his
    >friends not to deal with me at : http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
    >
    >where incidentally you can buy beautifully painted 15mm Historical War
    >GAME figures for only .90 UK Pence instead of the almost universal
    >£1.50.
    >
    >So roll up roll up, see the Right Wing Fascist Monster at play, read
    >my philosophy, hate me, but do yourself a favour and buy from some one
    >who has been in all areas of the wargaming hobby since 1964.
    >
    >Actually this is so good it needs it's own Post.
    >
    >That's http://www.minifigures.co.uk/

    PS I trade on EBay as donnieitaly. Read my feedback.
    >
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Wow, those are hideous. Are they from the 70's?

    Donnie wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:12:48 +0000, Donnie
    > <donnie@dinonino.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Nor will it remove people like Jimi who attempted to draw me into a
    >>reason discussion off group and then told me he was telling all his
    >>friends not to deal with me at : http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
    >>
    >>where incidentally you can buy beautifully painted 15mm Historical War
    >>GAME figures for only .90 UK Pence instead of the almost universal
    >>£1.50.
    >>
    >>So roll up roll up, see the Right Wing Fascist Monster at play, read
    >>my philosophy, hate me, but do yourself a favour and buy from some one
    >>who has been in all areas of the wargaming hobby since 1964.
    >>
    >>Actually this is so good it needs it's own Post.
    >>
    >>That's http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
    >
    >
    > PS I trade on EBay as donnieitaly. Read my feedback.
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Oh, I dunno. Not too bad -- especially for the price.

    Question though, do you only sell the groups of 5 that you have done or
    is this just a sampler???

    mjc


    Mike Monaco wrote:

    > Wow, those are hideous. Are they from the 70's?
    >
    > Donnie wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:12:48 +0000, Donnie
    >> <donnie@dinonino.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Nor will it remove people like Jimi who attempted to draw me into a
    >>> reason discussion off group and then told me he was telling all his
    >>> friends not to deal with me at : http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
    >>>
    >>> where incidentally you can buy beautifully painted 15mm Historical War
    >>> GAME figures for only .90 UK Pence instead of the almost universal
    >>> £1.50.
    >>>
    >>> So roll up roll up, see the Right Wing Fascist Monster at play, read
    >>> my philosophy, hate me, but do yourself a favour and buy from some one
    >>> who has been in all areas of the wargaming hobby since 1964.
    >>>
    >>> Actually this is so good it needs it's own Post.
    >>>
    >>> That's http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> PS I trade on EBay as donnieitaly. Read my feedback.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Quid Veritas wrote:
    > Oh, I dunno. Not too bad -- especially for the price.
    >

    Well, I'm spoiled by 1/72 plastics regarding price, and 25mm+ regarding
    quality, so I don't see myself ever opting for 15mm. But "hideous" may
    have been a bit harsh. I just thought they were ugly and not my type --
    of course everyone else is welcome to 'em. Hell, I still prefer
    Grenadier 25mm fantasy from the 80's to most of what I see nowadays,
    Reaper & Rafm being exceptions.

    > Question though, do you only sell the groups of 5 that you have done or
    > is this just a sampler???
    >
    > mjc
    >
    >
    >
    > Mike Monaco wrote:
    >
    >> Wow, those are hideous. Are they from the 70's?
    >>
    >> Donnie wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:12:48 +0000, Donnie
    >>> <donnie@dinonino.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Nor will it remove people like Jimi who attempted to draw me into a
    >>>> reason discussion off group and then told me he was telling all his
    >>>> friends not to deal with me at : http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
    >>>>
    >>>> where incidentally you can buy beautifully painted 15mm Historical War
    >>>> GAME figures for only .90 UK Pence instead of the almost universal
    >>>> £1.50.
    >>>>
    >>>> So roll up roll up, see the Right Wing Fascist Monster at play, read
    >>>> my philosophy, hate me, but do yourself a favour and buy from some one
    >>>> who has been in all areas of the wargaming hobby since 1964.
    >>>>
    >>>> Actually this is so good it needs it's own Post.
    >>>>
    >>>> That's http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> PS I trade on EBay as donnieitaly. Read my feedback.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 04:00:55 GMT, Quid Veritas
    <quidveritas@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Oh, I dunno. Not too bad -- especially for the price.
    >
    >Question though, do you only sell the groups of 5 that you have done or
    >is this just a sampler???

    Not quite sure what you mean by "you have done". If you mean periods
    then what you see is what I have, if you mean types of troops
    photographed then what you see is what is (or on occasions was) in
    stock and you can buy them in any quantity.

    Donnie.
    >

    >>>> That's http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
    >>>
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 03:23:26 GMT, Mike Monaco
    <mmonaco.No@Spam.neo.rr.com> wrote:

    >Wow, those are hideous. Are they from the 70's?
    >
    >Donnie wrote:
    >> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:12:48 +0000, Donnie
    >> <donnie@dinonino.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Nor will it remove people like Jimi who attempted to draw me into a
    >>>reason discussion off group and then told me he was telling all his
    >>>friends not to deal with me at : http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
    >>>
    >>>where incidentally you can buy beautifully painted 15mm Historical War
    >>>GAME figures for only .90 UK Pence instead of the almost universal
    >>>£1.50.
    >>>
    >>>So roll up roll up, see the Right Wing Fascist Monster at play, read
    >>>my philosophy, hate me, but do yourself a favour and buy from some one
    >>>who has been in all areas of the wargaming hobby since 1964.
    >>>
    >>>Actually this is so good it needs it's own Post.
    >>>
    >>>That's http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
    >>
    >>
    >> PS I trade on EBay as donnieitaly. Read my feedback.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    Please don't top post.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Sorry!

    Donnie wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 03:23:26 GMT, Mike Monaco
    > <mmonaco.No@Spam.neo.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Wow, those are hideous. Are they from the 70's?
    >>
    >>Donnie wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:12:48 +0000, Donnie
    >>><donnie@dinonino.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Nor will it remove people like Jimi who attempted to draw me into a
    >>>>reason discussion off group and then told me he was telling all his
    >>>>friends not to deal with me at : http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
    >>>>
    >>>>where incidentally you can buy beautifully painted 15mm Historical War
    >>>>GAME figures for only .90 UK Pence instead of the almost universal
    >>>>£1.50.
    >>>>
    >>>>So roll up roll up, see the Right Wing Fascist Monster at play, read
    >>>>my philosophy, hate me, but do yourself a favour and buy from some one
    >>>>who has been in all areas of the wargaming hobby since 1964.
    >>>>
    >>>>Actually this is so good it needs it's own Post.
    >>>>
    >>>>That's http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>PS I trade on EBay as donnieitaly. Read my feedback.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >
    > Please don't top post.
    >
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Donnie and said

    > Nor will it remove people like Jimi who attempted to draw me into a
    > reason discussion off group and then told me he was telling all his
    > friends not to deal with me at : http://www.minifigures.co.uk/

    I pointed out this thread on RGMW and now it has Jimi's sock puppet "Mike
    Hunt" posting again. If you start getting threatening or abusive emails
    you may wish keep them in case you can verify that it's Jimi and raise it
    with his ISP. In the past at least one UK ISP has given Jimi the boot for
    threatening people with violence via email.

    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    On 17 Nov 2004 20:51:41 GMT, Robert Singers
    <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Out from under a rock popped Donnie and said
    >
    >> Nor will it remove people like Jimi who attempted to draw me into a
    >> reason discussion off group and then told me he was telling all his
    >> friends not to deal with me at : http://www.minifigures.co.uk/
    >
    >I pointed out this thread on RGMW and now it has Jimi's sock puppet "Mike
    >Hunt" posting again. If you start getting threatening or abusive emails
    >you may wish keep them in case you can verify that it's Jimi and raise it
    >with his ISP. In the past at least one UK ISP has given Jimi the boot for
    >threatening people with violence via email.


    Thanks for the information. My sons works as a computer guru and such
    a search would not be difficult for him.

    "Jimi" certainly threatened my lively hood which all things considered
    is a bit extreme for simply stating that one does have to read OT
    posts.

    Thanks again.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "Donnie" <donnie@dinonino.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:60inp0tspss1bdjdvg0t2kgd0ba1ok2jik@4ax.com...

    > "Jimi" certainly threatened my lively hood which all things considered
    > is a bit extreme for simply stating that one does have to read OT
    > posts.

    <shakes head>

    I'm rather perplexed at the notion of refusing to do business with someone
    simply because they disagree with your political views. Myself, I'd purchase
    a game from *anyone* if I liked it. (Assuming the seller wasn't a front for
    the Mafia, a terrorist group, etc.). Heck, I'd even buy Piquet -- if I
    enjoyed the game. This despite my rather pointed disagreements with Bob
    Jones on nearly everything.

    --Ty
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Ah, Singers raises his merry head.

    Just a word of advice, his posts are extremely one sided so take his advice
    at your own risk. However you may find he is a kindred spirit (quick
    judgements, fond of telling others what to do and goes looking for
    arguments).

    Cheers
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Justin Taylor and said

    > Ah, Singers raises his merry head.
    >
    > Just a word of advice, his posts are extremely one sided so take his
    > advice at your own risk. However you may find he is a kindred spirit
    > (quick judgements, fond of telling others what to do and goes looking
    > for arguments).

    Oh the irony.

    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    In article <cngikt$ful$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, Justin Taylor,
    justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk Varfed out the following in
    Timo speak...
    > Ah, Singers raises his merry head.
    >
    > Just a word of advice, his posts are extremely one sided so take his advice
    > at your own risk. However you may find he is a kindred spirit (quick
    > judgements, fond of telling others what to do and goes looking for
    > arguments).

    Ahhh, refresh my memory there Justin. Weren't you the very same
    twit, who when it was pointed out *by numerous people* that your posting
    style largely renders your posts worthless in terms of helping others
    (supposedly your reason for replying to posts at all) responded to the
    effect that 'you didn't care because you've always done it that way'.
    And you wonder why much of use-net views you as a mental midget? The
    pure genius of your reasoning is overshadowed only by your own savvy
    advice.

    Poster: "How do I strip paint from expensive minis with bad paint jobs?"

    Justin: "I can't strip paint - therefore you might as well throw them
    out and buy new ones."

    Rest of N.G. "Here's a long list of products that will strip paint,
    here's what is safe on plastics, here is what's hazardous about them,
    here's what you need for safety, etc."

    If there were prizes for "Most useless advice presented in the
    most useless format" - you'd have garnered them all. I have no doubt
    that the word 'Putz' was coined just for you.

    Myrmidon




    --
    It's the Scots who fry chocolate bars.

    - Philip Bowles

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

    Or...

    http://www.sheppard.demon.co.uk/rgmw_faq/rgmw_faq.htm
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "Justin Taylor" <justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:cngikt$ful$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > Ah, Singers raises his merry head.
    >
    > Just a word of advice, his posts are extremely one sided so take his
    > advice
    > at your own risk. However you may find he is a kindred spirit (quick
    > judgements, fond of telling others what to do and goes looking for
    > arguments).
    >
    So he's nothing whatsoever like you JT?
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    > "Jimi" certainly threatened my lively hood which all things considered
    > is a bit extreme for simply stating that one does have to read OT
    > posts.

    Yup, that's him to a tee.... His Modus Operandi is getting kinda obvious
    these days... ;)

    --
    Daniel Blakemore
    Mini Gallery #1 - http://www.rottenlead.com/copper/thumbnails.php?album=8
    #2 - http://www.voidgamers.com/channel/b.190.html?author_name=MYLORDKHORNE
    #3 - http://www.pbase.com/mylordkhorne/
    ICQ:14459824 Yahoo IM: mylordkhorne
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:16:45 -0000, "Justin Taylor"
    <justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

    >Ah, Singers raises his merry head.
    >
    >Just a word of advice, his posts are extremely one sided so take his advice
    >at your own risk. However you may find he is a kindred spirit (quick
    >judgements, fond of telling others what to do and goes looking for
    >arguments).
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >
    Thanks, but I'll take his word over yours. (Nothing personal.)
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    >Poster: "How do I strip paint from expensive minis with bad paint jobs?"
    >
    >Justin: "I can't strip paint - therefore you might as well throw them
    >out and buy new ones."

    How about instead:

    Poster: "How do I strip paint from plastic minis with bad paint jobs?"

    Justin: "I have tried and nothing I have tried works effectively. Your time
    would be better spent working and earning the money to buy new figures."

    Sorry to rain on your parade with a dose of reality but some of us live in
    the real world.

    Have a nice day.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:55:08 -0000, "Justin Taylor"
    <justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

    >>Poster: "How do I strip paint from expensive minis with bad paint jobs?"
    >>
    >>Justin: "I can't strip paint - therefore you might as well throw them
    >>out and buy new ones."
    >
    >How about instead:
    >
    >Poster: "How do I strip paint from plastic minis with bad paint jobs?"
    >
    >Justin: "I have tried and nothing I have tried works effectively. Your time
    >would be better spent working and earning the money to buy new figures."
    >
    >Sorry to rain on your parade with a dose of reality but some of us live in
    >the real world.
    >
    >Have a nice day.
    >


    >"Your time
    >>would be better spent working and earning the money to buy new figures."

    And you really can't see what's wrong with that. My God.

    Oh, and have a nice day.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    >And you really can't see what's wrong with that. My God.

    Nope. Simple maths, if it takes 2 hours to clean up the figures and you can
    earn enough to buy new figures in an hour, then its better to spend the time
    working rather than try to clean up the figures. Thats how economics work.

    I appreciate that some people just enjoy spending time on their hobby no
    matter how unproductive but I would not recommend that course of action.

    As you might have noticed from the previous posts the 'Singers society'
    didn't even bother to get the facts right and induced their own little twist
    to the tale to make it seem even better.

    Now to go even further down the path, I have decided that I prefer metal
    figures over plastic because of the time spent clipping out and gluing
    plastic makes them more expensive (for me) than buying metal. I also find it
    hader to produce a good result for painting on plastic compared to metal.

    And to relieve the tedium of the 'he said that, I disagree' of the recent
    postings, here are some pictures of my models:

    http://www.geocities.com/zedeyejoe/gallerypage.htm
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    In message <cngikt$ful$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, Justin Taylor
    <justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk> writes
    >Ah, Singers raises his merry head.
    >
    >Just a word of advice, his posts are extremely one sided so take his advice
    >at your own risk. However you may find he is a kindred spirit (quick
    >judgements, fond of telling others what to do and goes looking for
    >arguments).
    >
    He fits in perfectly here.
    --
    John Secker
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    In message <cnl4vv$58s$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, Justin Taylor
    <justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk> writes
    >>And you really can't see what's wrong with that. My God.
    >
    >Nope. Simple maths, if it takes 2 hours to clean up the figures and you can
    >earn enough to buy new figures in an hour, then its better to spend the time
    >working rather than try to clean up the figures. Thats how economics work.
    >
    Spoken like an economist. But you are making two heroic assumptions
    here. First, that everyone is in a job where they can simply do a little
    bit more and earn a little bit more. Maybe Ty can spend a few extra
    minutes tax lawyering and earn the price of a new army, but for a lot of
    people it doesn't work like that. I am on a salary, and if I work extra
    hours (which I do, every week) my extra earnings are zero.
    The other assumption, which is the one which really scuppers your
    argument, is the assumption that an hour working at your is the same to
    you as an hour spent on your hobby. I would propose that this is
    manifestly untrue for very nearly everybody. We enjoy our hobbies -
    that's why we do them. And we don't enjoy our jobs, or at least not as
    much as we do our hobbies - that's why we have to be paid to do the
    jobs. The two hours spent cleaning the miniatures will bring pleasure,
    perhaps only after the finished product is done, and surmounting a
    challenge is all part of the fun. That's why so many people do DIY/home
    improvements themselves, even when their hourly rate is greater than the
    workman they could employ to do it. They get pleasure out of completing
    the task themselves, out of doing something skilled with their hands,
    which they would not get just by paying for the finished product.
    --
    John Secker
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:54:38 -0000, "Justin Taylor"
    <justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

    >>And you really can't see what's wrong with that. My God.
    >
    >Nope. Simple maths, if it takes 2 hours to clean up the figures and you can
    >earn enough to buy new figures in an hour, then its better to spend the time
    >working rather than try to clean up the figures. Thats how economics work.
    >
    >I appreciate that some people just enjoy spending time on their hobby no
    >matter how unproductive but I would not recommend that course of action.
    >
    Then you need to re-think your definition of a hobby.

    PS If you like I'll fly over to you and play your games for you,
    thereby leaving your much more time to make more money to pay me to do
    it.
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Justin Taylor wrote:

    >>And you really can't see what's wrong with that. My God.
    >
    >
    > Nope. Simple maths, if it takes 2 hours to clean up the figures and you can

    Another salary man, I disagree.

    >
    >
    > Now to go even further down the path, I have decided that I prefer metal
    > figures over plastic because of the time spent clipping out and gluing
    > plastic makes them more expensive (for me) than buying metal. I also find it
    > hader to produce a good result for painting on plastic compared to metal.

    I spend less time cutting plastic sprues than filing metal figures, but
    more importantly like that look of plastics. I haven't had any
    significant problems with plastics I washed before painting.

    >
    > And to relieve the tedium of the 'he said that, I disagree' of the recent
    > postings, here are some pictures of my models:
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/zedeyejoe/gallerypage.htm
    >
    >

    Very nice work. I like hoplite's shields.

    Some of my stuff is here:

    http://home.neo.rr.com/mikemonaco/wargamehome.html


    Regards,
    Mike

    >
    >
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Justin Taylor and said

    >>And you really can't see what's wrong with that. My God.
    >
    > Nope. Simple maths, if it takes 2 hours to clean up the figures and
    > you can earn enough to buy new figures in an hour, then its better to
    > spend the time working rather than try to clean up the figures. Thats
    > how economics work.

    Interesting world in which Justin lives. I pick up miniatures cheaply
    second. I pay on average NZ$1 per metal 28mm mini. I leave those minis
    soaking in metholated spirits for anywhere 2 weeks to 2 months, depending
    on what else I'm up to. It takes around a minute to scrub each mini
    clean. If we say that a minute of my time is worth $1 then I'm getting a
    miniature for $2 far cheaper than what Foundry, GW etc sells them for.
    Plastic I buy even cheaper.

    Now of course that's not the entire picture. There's the cost of the
    toothbrush for scrubbing, the container for soaking them in and the meths
    to soak them in. Well it's an old toothbrush of mine that would have
    otherwise been thrown away and an old yoghurt container, so I think we
    can savely assign no financial value to them. A 1L bottle of meths is
    about $4. However I reuse the meths. When it starts to get mirky I
    strain it through a paper towel and keep using. So the cost of the meths
    is minimal as well.

    Now in the thread where Justin told the *teenager* to throw away the
    second hand miniatures he'd bought with his *pocket money*, lots of
    helpful advice about how to safely strip minis had already been given.

    > I appreciate that some people just enjoy spending time on their hobby
    > no matter how unproductive but I would not recommend that course of
    > action.

    One wonders what Justin would recomend. Actually it rather frightens me.

    > As you might have noticed from the previous posts the 'Singers
    > society' didn't even bother to get the facts right and induced their
    > own little twist to the tale to make it seem even better.

    Society? Well I suppose that could be people who like the truth. If
    anyone is interested enough to google you'll find that Justin kill files
    me whenever I ask him to substaniate the claims he makes about me. Some
    how he thinks that stop people telling that he's lying.

    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped John Secker and said

    >>Ah, Singers raises his merry head.

    [snip]

    > He fits in perfectly here.

    That's a low blow.

    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    >Very nice work. I like hoplite's shields.
    >Some of my stuff is here:
    >http://home.neo.rr.com/mikemonaco/wargamehome.html

    Sorry I did not paint the hoplite designs, they are part of my range of
    transfers (Veni Vidi Vici).

    I notice that you are into 1/72nd scale figures, so you may be interested in
    some of my 20mm shield transfers (Greeks, Republican Romans and Phalangite
    designs). Hope to have some for Gauls soon.

    http://www.3vwargames.co.uk/z20mm.htm
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns95A82846FA5rsingers@IP-Hidden...
    > Out from under a rock popped Justin Taylor and said
    >
    > >>And you really can't see what's wrong with that. My God.
    > >
    > > Nope. Simple maths, if it takes 2 hours to clean up the figures and
    > > you can earn enough to buy new figures in an hour, then its better to
    > > spend the time working rather than try to clean up the figures. Thats
    > > how economics work.
    >
    > Interesting world in which Justin lives. I pick up miniatures cheaply
    > second. I pay on average NZ$1 per metal 28mm mini. I leave those minis
    > soaking in metholated spirits for anywhere 2 weeks to 2 months, depending
    > on what else I'm up to. It takes around a minute to scrub each mini
    > clean. If we say that a minute of my time is worth $1 then I'm getting a
    > miniature for $2 far cheaper than what Foundry, GW etc sells them for.
    > Plastic I buy even cheaper.

    > Now of course that's not the entire picture. There's the cost of the
    > toothbrush for scrubbing, the container for soaking them in and the meths
    > to soak them in. Well it's an old toothbrush of mine that would have
    > otherwise been thrown away and an old yoghurt container, so I think we
    > can savely assign no financial value to them. A 1L bottle of meths is
    > about $4. However I reuse the meths. When it starts to get mirky I
    > strain it through a paper towel and keep using. So the cost of the meths
    > is minimal as well.

    Rob--

    I have some old 25mm D&D figures from the late 1970s. Some were painted with
    acrylics, some with enamel (probably Testor's or Pactra model paints). I
    want to repaint them for nostalgia value. Can you -- or any one else for
    that matter -- please re-post your method (or a link where it's explained).

    Thanks.

    --Ty
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Ty and said

    > I have some old 25mm D&D figures from the late 1970s. Some were
    > painted with acrylics, some with enamel (probably Testor's or Pactra
    > model paints). I want to repaint them for nostalgia value. Can you --
    > or any one else for that matter -- please re-post your method (or a
    > link where it's explained).

    http://www.rgmw.org/paint/paint-strip.html

    If they're that old I'm guessing that they're all metal. In that case
    you can just use a commercial paint stripper.

    I'd also recommend soaking them in white vinegar as soon as they're
    stripped to remove any lead oxide and then as soon as they are dry
    giving them a good coat of a primer designed for metals.

    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns95AA7D1A07281rsingers@IP-Hidden...
    > Out from under a rock popped Ty and said
    >
    > > I have some old 25mm D&D figures from the late 1970s. Some were
    > > painted with acrylics, some with enamel (probably Testor's or Pactra
    > > model paints). I want to repaint them for nostalgia value. Can you --
    > > or any one else for that matter -- please re-post your method (or a
    > > link where it's explained).
    >
    > http://www.rgmw.org/paint/paint-strip.html
    >
    > If they're that old I'm guessing that they're all metal. In that case
    > you can just use a commercial paint stripper.

    They are Grenadier lead figures. Will commercial paint strippers remove
    acrylics?

    > I'd also recommend soaking them in white vinegar as soon as they're
    > stripped to remove any lead oxide and then as soon as they are dry
    > giving them a good coat of a primer designed for metals.

    Thanks!

    --Ty
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Ty and said

    > They are Grenadier lead figures. Will commercial paint strippers remove
    > acrylics?

    Yep. Very quickly.

    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    In article <10q4ui99h2q20ac@corp.supernews.com>, Ty,
    tbeardSPAM@tyler.net Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    > "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:Xns95AA7D1A07281rsingers@IP-Hidden...
    > > Out from under a rock popped Ty and said
    > >
    > > > I have some old 25mm D&D figures from the late 1970s. Some were
    > > > painted with acrylics, some with enamel (probably Testor's or Pactra
    > > > model paints). I want to repaint them for nostalgia value. Can you --
    > > > or any one else for that matter -- please re-post your method (or a
    > > > link where it's explained).
    > >
    > > http://www.rgmw.org/paint/paint-strip.html
    > >
    > > If they're that old I'm guessing that they're all metal. In that case
    > > you can just use a commercial paint stripper.
    >
    > They are Grenadier lead figures. Will commercial paint strippers remove
    > acrylics?
    >
    > > I'd also recommend soaking them in white vinegar as soon as they're
    > > stripped to remove any lead oxide and then as soon as they are dry
    > > giving them a good coat of a primer designed for metals.

    If you're in the US or just about anywhere that has automotive
    degreaser - (in the US/Canada I recommend Castrol Super Clean) you're
    good to go for about $5 for a gallon. CSC has taken acrylics off
    plastics without damaging the plastics even after they've been soaking
    in it for a week plus. (I've got a bunch in it now that've been there a
    week or so simply due to lack of time to rinse them.) I've also
    stripped 25+ year old testers off minis. (Oddly enough off old D&D
    figures from the 70's too - apparently it was either testors, Humbrol
    enamels or nothing when it came to painting minis in the 70's.) There
    was one shade of testors brown that the castrol didn't want to strip
    completely - but not enough remained to obscure detail or otherwise be a
    problem. And it's the only paint I've really had any notable problem
    with out of 80 to a 100+ figures I've stripped with it. The only thing
    I have noticed is that it (CSC) sometimes un-does 'super glue' joins on
    some minis. To date I haven't had any parts glued with epoxy come
    undone while soaking in CSC. It's pretty straight forward - place your
    minis in an old metal coffee can, or a clean glass jar, put your minis
    to be stripped in, add CSC and close up the container. Once you start
    to see signs of paint lifting off start cleaning them (any time from a
    few hours for acrylics to several days or so for decades old 'bullet
    proof' testors enamel). A few of the old minis painted in testors
    needed a 2nd bath in the CSC, but patience is a small price for a chance
    to reclaim rare and/or long out of production minis.

    If you're going to use CSC - I'd recommend the standard precautions when
    working with any sort of chemical. Safty glasses, and rubber gloves.
    As for cleaning - just use running water and an old toothbrush to scrub
    away old paint once the minis show signs that the paint is coming off
    from their dip in the CSC. I'd recommend the same in terms of
    protection if you choose the commercial paint stripper (some of which is
    the kind of stuff you don't want on your skin - read the labels
    carefully).

    There's a variety of other stuff folks have tried for stripping as well
    - Acetone (Nail Polish Remover) which I don't recommend as it will
    definitely damage plastics, the fumes aren't good, etc.
    - Easy Off Oven Cleaner - again, not sure about whether it will or won't
    damage plastics, and the fumes are not a bonus.
    - Pinsol Cleaner - results are mediocure and it's reported that it can
    damage/soften plastics from long term exposure.

    And there's the old 'method of last resort' - DOT3 a.k.a. Break Fluid.
    This or commercial stripper (both of which tend to be really nasty
    stuff) are what you use when all else fails. You *definitely* want
    gloves and eye protection with this stuff. As one person put it 'just
    reading the label can give you cancer'. You also don't want to use
    break fluid in or around anything of value as it will remove automotive
    paint, bleach carpet and clothing, etc if you spill it on something. It
    is however 'safe' when it comes to stripping plastic minis.

    Hope that helps,

    Myrmidon
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Myrmidon wrote another epic novel and I snipped it down to.

    > It's pretty straight forward - place your
    > minis in an old metal coffee can, or a clean glass jar, put your minis
    > to be stripped in, add CSC and close up the container. Once you start
    > to see signs of paint lifting off start cleaning them (any time from a
    > few hours for acrylics to several days or so for decades old 'bullet
    > proof' testors enamel). A few of the old minis painted in testors
    > needed a 2nd bath in the CSC, but patience is a small price for a chance
    > to reclaim rare and/or long out of production minis.

    Oneday when I was at the Hardware store I found a set of three small
    'wire' brushes; one heavy nylon, one brass, and one steel. Occasionally
    when I get minis that have been through several periods (oddly always a
    blue period) I take them out of the meths and rough them up a bit and put
    them back in. The other option is to strip them in layers like an onion
    :-)


    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Ty:

    I have two methods for stripping painted figures. If you have just a few and
    hate to wait, use spray-on oven cleaner (I use the Off! brand). Give 'em a
    good dose, let sit for 20 minutes, then rinse. Use an old toothbrush and
    over 90% of the paint will come off. You can pick out the crevices with a
    toothpick. Wash and paint!

    Second option, let them soak in Pine Sol for 24 hours, then brush and
    toothpick...


    "Ty" <tbeardSPAM@tyler.net> wrote in message
    news:10q451i22of659a@corp.supernews.com...
    > "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:Xns95A82846FA5rsingers@IP-Hidden...
    > > Out from under a rock popped Justin Taylor and said
    > >
    > > >>And you really can't see what's wrong with that. My God.
    > > >
    > > > Nope. Simple maths, if it takes 2 hours to clean up the figures and
    > > > you can earn enough to buy new figures in an hour, then its better to
    > > > spend the time working rather than try to clean up the figures. Thats
    > > > how economics work.
    > >
    > > Interesting world in which Justin lives. I pick up miniatures cheaply
    > > second. I pay on average NZ$1 per metal 28mm mini. I leave those minis
    > > soaking in metholated spirits for anywhere 2 weeks to 2 months,
    depending
    > > on what else I'm up to. It takes around a minute to scrub each mini
    > > clean. If we say that a minute of my time is worth $1 then I'm getting
    a
    > > miniature for $2 far cheaper than what Foundry, GW etc sells them for.
    > > Plastic I buy even cheaper.
    >
    > > Now of course that's not the entire picture. There's the cost of the
    > > toothbrush for scrubbing, the container for soaking them in and the
    meths
    > > to soak them in. Well it's an old toothbrush of mine that would have
    > > otherwise been thrown away and an old yoghurt container, so I think we
    > > can savely assign no financial value to them. A 1L bottle of meths is
    > > about $4. However I reuse the meths. When it starts to get mirky I
    > > strain it through a paper towel and keep using. So the cost of the meth
    s
    > > is minimal as well.
    >
    > Rob--
    >
    > I have some old 25mm D&D figures from the late 1970s. Some were painted
    with
    > acrylics, some with enamel (probably Testor's or Pactra model paints). I
    > want to repaint them for nostalgia value. Can you -- or any one else for
    > that matter -- please re-post your method (or a link where it's
    explained).
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --Ty
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games