Newsgroup/forum ettiquette

July 18, 2005 9:11:02 PM

I do not visit newsgroups that often; and would llike to ask a question.
Yesterday I posted a query about an issue I am having, with XP, to a 'thread'
that was begun in May of this year ... barely 2 months ago.

Today I received a response in which the poster 'chewed' me out for
"hijacking" an 'outdated' thread ... and stated I should start a new thread
with the same subject.

Of course I retorted back that a thread barely 2 months old is not, IMO, an
'outdated' thread ... and further that proper internet, and forum, ettiquette
highly suggests that threads as 'new' as this one be maintained ... rather
than cluttering up the internet with superflous repetitive same subject
threads.

Comments????
--
doon
Anonymous

I delete all my newsgroup headers after a week.

How do I delete old newsgroup headers?
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#delnews

Of course this doesn't apply to you, you're using CDO.

Two month old thread, I'll never see it.

If you want any answers to your questions, post a new thread, after you look
around round for answers on your own first.

Making Good Newsgroup Posts
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

And if you are going to frequent newsgroups at all.....

Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000 is akin to bear skins and stone knives.

Do yourself a favor and setup a real newsreader.

Outlook Express came free with XP.

Use it.

You will later wonder why you didn't setup OE as your newsreader sooner.

MICROSOFT PUBLIC NEWSGROUPS
[[There are many valuable newsgroups on the msnews.microsoft.com server, on
nearly every available topic and in many different languages. Clicking the
links below will automatically create any necessary account configuration in
Outlook Express and take you directly to the newsgroup you have selected -
no complicated technical configurations are needed!]]
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

Using Outlook Express To View Newsgroups
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fdirec...

Viewing and Posting to Newsgroups
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/news...

Setting up Outlook Express Newsreader
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.h...

Getting News from Newsgroups
Ignore this part ->> Access a newsgroup right from the Web.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/gett...

Set Up Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/setu...

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express: Power User Tips
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

Outlook Express newsgroups 101
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/IE/community/columns/n...

Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3EE7654C-4915-4DF1-AABF-C5F1B23CF06D@microsoft.com,
doonboggle <doonboggle@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I do not visit newsgroups that often; and would llike to ask a question.
> Yesterday I posted a query about an issue I am having, with XP, to a
> 'thread' that was begun in May of this year ... barely 2 months ago.
>
> Today I received a response in which the poster 'chewed' me out for
> "hijacking" an 'outdated' thread ... and stated I should start a new
> thread with the same subject.
>
> Of course I retorted back that a thread barely 2 months old is not, IMO,
> an 'outdated' thread ... and further that proper internet, and forum,
> ettiquette highly suggests that threads as 'new' as this one be
> maintained ... rather than cluttering up the internet with superflous
> repetitive same subject threads.
>
> Comments????
> --
> doon
July 18, 2005 10:41:35 PM

doonboggle wrote:
> I do not visit newsgroups that often; and would llike to ask a question.
> Yesterday I posted a query about an issue I am having, with XP, to a 'thread'
> that was begun in May of this year ... barely 2 months ago.
>
> Today I received a response in which the poster 'chewed' me out for
> "hijacking" an 'outdated' thread ... and stated I should start a new thread
> with the same subject.
>
> Of course I retorted back that a thread barely 2 months old is not, IMO, an
> 'outdated' thread ... and further that proper internet, and forum, ettiquette
> highly suggests that threads as 'new' as this one be maintained ... rather
> than cluttering up the internet with superflous repetitive same subject
> threads.
>
> Comments????

Search for a resolution using Google web search and search the
newsgroups using Google groups to look for similar posts and more
importantly solutions. Many issues are asked and answered many times
and a bit of searching can often times yield an answer. Don't be lazy
and expect others to do the work for you.

If no solution is found then post a new thread, giving all the relevant
information in a concise and complete form describing your system.

Making Good Newsgroup Posts
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

How to Act Smart on Usenet

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:07:01 PM

Tlo the last 2 responders( Rock & Leythos), this is precise and exactly what
I did. First, I searched via google. One of the main two (2) 'hits' came
back with the thread I mentioned.

Upon reading it, and seeing it was 98% applicable to my question's point,
went ahead and posted to it ... rather than begin a new, IMO, repeated
thread. The remaining 2% simply had to do with the original posters
referenced WindowsXP process concerning a like Windows file; ie, CleanDisk
versus Defragmenter.

Thanks to the both of you.

--
doon

"Rock" wrote:

> doonboggle wrote:
> > I do not visit newsgroups that often; and would llike to ask a question.
> > Yesterday I posted a query about an issue I am having, with XP, to a 'thread'
> > that was begun in May of this year ... barely 2 months ago.
> >
> > Today I received a response in which the poster 'chewed' me out for
> > "hijacking" an 'outdated' thread ... and stated I should start a new thread
> > with the same subject.
> >
> > Of course I retorted back that a thread barely 2 months old is not, IMO, an
> > 'outdated' thread ... and further that proper internet, and forum, ettiquette
> > highly suggests that threads as 'new' as this one be maintained ... rather
> > than cluttering up the internet with superflous repetitive same subject
> > threads.
> >
> > Comments????
>
> Search for a resolution using Google web search and search the
> newsgroups using Google groups to look for similar posts and more
> importantly solutions. Many issues are asked and answered many times
> and a bit of searching can often times yield an answer. Don't be lazy
> and expect others to do the work for you.
>
> If no solution is found then post a new thread, giving all the relevant
> information in a concise and complete form describing your system.
>
> Making Good Newsgroup Posts
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> How to Act Smart on Usenet

> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:31:31 AM

From: "doonboggle" <doonboggle@discussions.microsoft.com>

| I do not visit newsgroups that often; and would llike to ask a question.
| Yesterday I posted a query about an issue I am having, with XP, to a 'thread'
| that was begun in May of this year ... barely 2 months ago.
|
| Today I received a response in which the poster 'chewed' me out for
| "hijacking" an 'outdated' thread ... and stated I should start a new thread
| with the same subject.
|
| Of course I retorted back that a thread barely 2 months old is not, IMO, an
| 'outdated' thread ... and further that proper internet, and forum, ettiquette
| highly suggests that threads as 'new' as this one be maintained ... rather
| than cluttering up the internet with superflous repetitive same subject
| threads.
|
| Comments????
| --
| doon

Unless you were replying to the the orginal question, yes, you hijacked an old thread. Two
months is old. Even replying to a question that is almost two months old is ridiculous as
the poster who created that thread most likely will not care or revisit so long after.

You should have created new thread and not replied, with a question, in an old thread. I
think the feedback was valid as you explined the situation.

My 2 cents ( however, one of those pennies is a 1909 VDB )

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

In article <3EE7654C-4915-4DF1-AABF-C5F1B23CF06D@microsoft.com>,
doonboggle@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I do not visit newsgroups that often; and would llike to ask a question.
> Yesterday I posted a query about an issue I am having, with XP, to a 'thread'
> that was begun in May of this year ... barely 2 months ago.
>
> Today I received a response in which the poster 'chewed' me out for
> "hijacking" an 'outdated' thread ... and stated I should start a new thread
> with the same subject.
>
> Of course I retorted back that a thread barely 2 months old is not, IMO, an
> 'outdated' thread ... and further that proper internet, and forum, ettiquette
> highly suggests that threads as 'new' as this one be maintained ... rather
> than cluttering up the internet with superflous repetitive same subject
> threads.
>
> Comments????

Anything more than a week or so is outdated - meaning that if it's not
got a stream of active posters, if it's at least a week since the last
post, it's a dead thread in most cases.

As for posting to a thread, outdated/dead or not, with the same problem,
as long as it really was the same problem, it's perfectly fine.

What you will find is that since adding web access to Usenet services,
there are just a lot more a$$holes available to be snotty.

So, any post that is more than a week old without new posts, is an old
thread - but that doesn't mean you can't post new content if it's
specifically related to that same thread.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:36:55 AM

After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Wesley Vogel had this to
say:

> Making Good Newsgroup Posts
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

What's missing is the long term netiquette with UseNet is NO TOP POSTING
when replying. Wish it was added to the info on that link and especially
that MVP's set a better example by following this practise.

--
Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus

And I wish that Ford would not have dropped the Model A in 1919. They could have set an example

--
Peter

"NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message news:XOYCe.1978993$Xk.1751233@pd7tw3no...
> After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Wesley Vogel had this to
> say:
>
> > Making Good Newsgroup Posts
> > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> What's missing is the long term netiquette with UseNet is NO TOP POSTING
> when replying. Wish it was added to the info on that link and especially
> that MVP's set a better example by following this practise.
>

> --
> Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
> Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus
> definitions. And NEVER connect to the Internet!
> http://w-3productions.com/more.jpg

July 19, 2005 5:36:56 AM

I perfer top posting!

NoStop wrote:
> After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Wesley Vogel had
> this to say:
>
>> Making Good Newsgroup Posts
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> What's missing is the long term netiquette with UseNet is NO TOP
> POSTING when replying. Wish it was added to the info on that link and
> especially that MVP's set a better example by following this practise.

--
Mike Pawlak
Anonymous

If it annoys you so much, don't read my posts.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:XOYCe.1978993$Xk.1751233@pd7tw3no,
NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> hunted and pecked:
> After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Wesley Vogel had this to
> say:
>
>> Making Good Newsgroup Posts
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> What's missing is the long term netiquette with UseNet is NO TOP POSTING
> when replying. Wish it was added to the info on that link and especially
> that MVP's set a better example by following this practise.
>

> --
> Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
> Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus
> definitions. And NEVER connect to the Internet!
> http://w-3productions.com/more.jpg
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:36:56 AM

"NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
> After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Wesley Vogel had this to
> say:
>
>> Making Good Newsgroup Posts
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> What's missing is the long term netiquette with UseNet is NO TOP POSTING
> when replying. Wish it was added to the info on that link and especially
> that MVP's set a better example by following this practise.
>

> --
> Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
> Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus
> definitions. And NEVER connect to the Internet!
> http://w-3productions.com/more.jpg

Ok, so I am new at posting to newgroups. If top posting is a problem how do
you configure OE to automatically place your post and the sig at the end of
your reply?
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:19:33 AM

Americantechie wrote:
> "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
>> After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Wesley Vogel had
>> this to say:
>>
>>> Making Good Newsgroup Posts
>>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> What's missing is the long term netiquette with UseNet is NO TOP
>> POSTING when replying. Wish it was added to the info on that link
>> and especially that MVP's set a better example by following this
>> practise. --
>> Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
>> Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus
>> definitions. And NEVER connect to the Internet!
>> http://w-3productions.com/more.jpg
>>

> Ok, so I am new at posting to newgroups. If top posting is a problem
> how do you configure OE to automatically place your post and the sig
> at the end of your reply?

Google, Lazy bastard.

--
Peace!
Kurt

1. Ignore NoStop.
2. Use OE and top post.
3. As for Kurt - he has his moments. :o )
--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> Americantechie wrote:
>> "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
>>> After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Wesley Vogel had
>>> this to say:

>>> What's missing is the long term netiquette with UseNet is NO TOP
>>> POSTING when replying. Wish it was added to the info on that link
>>> and especially that MVP's set a better example by following this
>>> practise. --
>>> Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
>>> Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus
>>> definitions. And NEVER connect to the Internet!
>>> http://w-3productions.com/more.jpg
>>>

>> Ok, so I am new at posting to newgroups. If top posting is a problem
>> how do you configure OE to automatically place your post and the sig
>> at the end of your reply?
>
> Google, Lazy bastard.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 7:07:04 AM

Kelly wrote:

> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:eoRgXnCjFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Americantechie wrote:
>>> "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message

>>> Ok, so I am new at posting to newgroups. If top posting is a
>>> problem how do you configure OE to automatically place your post
>>> and the sig at the end of your reply?
>>
>> Google, Lazy bastard.
>
> 1. Ignore NoStop.
> 2. Use OE and top post.
> 3. As for Kurt - he has his moments. :o )

Thanks Kelly! Supposedly American't'echie plonked me. ;-)

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 7:37:50 AM

After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Peter Foldes had this to
say:

> And I wish that Ford would not have dropped the Model A in 1919. They
> could have set an example

What a bunch of pathetic morons! Unable to see that conversations don't
start with answers and end with questions.

--
Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus
definitions. And NEVER connect to the Internet!
http://w-3productions.com/more.jpg
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 7:37:51 AM

LOL. You are funny. When responsible you do it before you are told to
--
Peter

"NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message news:iA_Ce.1979343$Xk.567785@pd7tw3no...
> After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Peter Foldes had this to
> say:
>
> > And I wish that Ford would not have dropped the Model A in 1919. They
> > could have set an example
> >
> What a bunch of pathetic morons! Unable to see that conversations don't
> start with answers and end with questions.
>

> --
> Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
> Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus
> definitions. And NEVER connect to the Internet!
> http://w-3productions.com/more.jpg

July 19, 2005 12:22:22 PM

"Americantechie" <john(dot)fuller@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
>> After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Wesley Vogel had this
>> say:
>>
>>> Making Good Newsgroup Posts
>>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> What's missing is the long term netiquette with UseNet is NO TOP POSTING
>> when replying. Wish it was added to the info on that link and especially
>> that MVP's set a better example by following this practise.
>>

>> --
>> Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
>> Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus
>> definitions. And NEVER connect to the Internet!
>> http://w-3productions.com/more.jpg
>>

> Ok, so I am new at posting to newgroups. If top posting is a problem how
> do you configure OE to automatically place your post and the sig at the
> end of your reply?

If you are using OE. Try this freeware:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/oequotefix.html
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:56:08 PM

"Americantechie" <john(dot)fuller@nospamgmail.com> wrote in:

> Ok, so I am new at posting to newgroups. If top posting is a problem
> how do you configure OE to automatically place your post and the sig at
> the end of your reply?

Putting the cursor at the top is a good idea because it allows you to scan
through the post, interleave your replies if you so desire and snip anything
you don't wish to quote.

You can select not to have the signature added automatically and then add it
yourself at the end of your post or you can use one of the various utilities
recommended by others such as Quote Fix or Fido Look but if you plan to use
newsgroups a lot (and there is a great deal of helpful information available
along with a whole lot of that isn't!) you might consider getting a better
newsreader, there are several that are free.

My preference is Xnews available at http://xnews.newsguy.com

--
David R. Norton MVP
<d_r_norton@yahoo.com>

In news:uTV0MmBjFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Americantechie <john(dot)fuller@nospamgmail.com> typed:

> Ok, so I am new at posting to newgroups. If top posting is a
> problem
> how do you configure OE to automatically place your post and
> the sig
> at the end of your reply?

You can't. You can either move the cursor manually or you can run
a third-part party program which will change Outlook Express's
behavior to do this. Try OE-Quotefix at

Personally, rather than either top-posting or bottom-posting, I
prefer answers to individual points placed after the points
themselves, interspersed in-line in the message. So I don't care
where the cursor is placed automatically. Since the software
doesn't know where I'm going to reply, I almost always have to
move the cursor myself anyway.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:30:08 PM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 03:37:50 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

>After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Peter Foldes had this to
>say:
>
>> And I wish that Ford would not have dropped the Model A in 1919. They
>> could have set an example
>>
>What a bunch of pathetic morons! Unable to see that conversations don't
>start with answers and end with questions.

Unless you are playing Jeopardy :)
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:35:10 PM

doonboggle wrote:
> I do not visit newsgroups that often; and would llike to ask a question.
> Yesterday I posted a query about an issue I am having, with XP, to a 'thread'
> that was begun in May of this year ... barely 2 months ago.
>
> Today I received a response in which the poster 'chewed' me out for
> "hijacking" an 'outdated' thread ... and stated I should start a new thread
> with the same subject.
>
> Of course I retorted back that a thread barely 2 months old is not, IMO, an
> 'outdated' thread ... and further that proper internet, and forum, ettiquette
> highly suggests that threads as 'new' as this one be maintained ... rather
> than cluttering up the internet with superflous repetitive same subject
> threads.
>
> Comments????

It really depends on the group. In some newsgroups a 2 month old thread
would be one of the newer threads. this group gets hundreds of posts a
day, any thread over a week old is probably not going to be seen by most
as there is too much newer traffic to sort through.

I don't think you were hijacking if your query was on subject for the
thread. However you have a much better chance of getting a reply if you
post under a new thread due to the volume of traffic in this group.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

July 19, 2005 2:41:43 PM

From: "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org>

| 1. Ignore NoStop.
| 2. Use OE and top post.
| 3. As for Kurt - he has his moments. :o )
| --
|
| All the Best,
| Kelly (MS-MVP)
|
| Troubleshooting Windows XP
| http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Change #2 to download and use FidoLook -- http://www.fidolook.org/

It adds to OE...

Bottom Posting
yEnc file viewing
X-Face viewing
Header editing { You can then include your own X-Face in a post this way }
Templates

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:36:51 PM

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org>
>
>> 1. Ignore NoStop.
>> 2. Use OE and top post.
>> 3. As for Kurt - he has his moments. :o )
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

> Change #2 to download and use FidoLook -- http://www.fidolook.org/
>
> It adds to OE...
>
> Bottom Posting
> yEnc file viewing

Not helpful for text base USENET

> X-Face viewing

Not helpful for text base USENET, plus it servers no useful purpose.

> Header editing { You can then include your own X-Face in a post this
> way }

Not really necessary, and X-Face is useless.

>Templates

Not necessary.

OEquotefix is a much simpler interface, and does the basic job needed.
Fidolook is a PITA in that it does too much that really isn't necessary.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:53:58 PM

And just who says top posting is a 'problem'? It's just a matter of
preference. Do what ever suits you. Or to quote a friend, "Whatever floats
your boat."

> In news:uTV0MmBjFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Americantechie <john(dot)fuller@nospamgmail.com> typed:
>
>> Ok, so I am new at posting to newgroups. If top posting is a problem
>> how do you configure OE to automatically place your post and the sig
>> at the end of your reply?
>

> You can't. You can either move the cursor manually or you can run a
> third-part party program which will change Outlook Express's behavior to
> do this. Try OE-Quotefix at
>
> Personally, rather than either top-posting or bottom-posting, I prefer
> answers to individual points placed after the points themselves,
> interspersed in-line in the message. So I don't care where the cursor is
> placed automatically. Since the software doesn't know where I'm going to
> reply, I almost always have to move the cursor myself anyway.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:52:08 PM

From: "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org>

| David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org>
>>
>>> 1. Ignore NoStop.
>>> 2. Use OE and top post.
>>> 3. As for Kurt - he has his moments. :o )
>>> --
>>>
>>> All the Best,
>>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>>
>> Change #2 to download and use FidoLook -- http://www.fidolook.org/
>>
>> It adds to OE...
>>
>> Bottom Posting
>> yEnc file viewing
|
| Not helpful for text base USENET
|
>> X-Face viewing
|
| Not helpful for text base USENET, plus it servers no useful purpose.
|
>> Header editing { You can then include your own X-Face in a post this
>> way }
|
| Not really necessary, and X-Face is useless.
|
>> Templates
|
| Not necessary.
|
| OEquotefix is a much simpler interface, and does the basic job needed.
| Fidolook is a PITA in that it does too much that really isn't necessary.
|
| --
| Peace!
| Kurt
| Self-anointed Moderator
| microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
| http://microscum.com/mscommunity
| "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
| "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Since you don't use FidoLook you can't see an X-Face and yes, they are useful in TEXT News
Groups.

FidoLook blows OEQF out of the water !!

Maybe instead of an adhoc put-down, you need to try it.

BTW: If you look in my header, you'll see...
FL-Build: Fidolook 2002 (SL) 6.0.2800.94 - 5/4/2005 11:39:16

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:52:09 PM

It seems ridiculous to have to scroll down all the time to read the
replies. Much easier when following a complete thread to see the most
recent posts on top. It's only when you are looking at just the one
message that bottom posting seems appropriate. However I can live with
either one or the other methods -- not a big thing.

Bill

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org>
>
> | David H. Lipman wrote:
>
>>>From: "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org>

>>>Change #2 to download and use FidoLook -- http://www.fidolook.org/
>>>
>>>It adds to OE...
>>>
>>>Bottom Posting
>>>yEnc file viewing
>

> | Not helpful for text base USENET
> |

>>>X-Face viewing
>

> | Not helpful for text base USENET, plus it servers no useful purpose.
> |

>>>Header editing { You can then include your own X-Face in a post this
>>>way }
>

> | Not really necessary, and X-Face is useless.
> |

>>>Templates
>

> | Not necessary.
> |
> | OEquotefix is a much simpler interface, and does the basic job needed.
> | Fidolook is a PITA in that it does too much that really isn't necessary.
> |
> | --
> | Peace!
> | Kurt
> | Self-anointed Moderator
> | microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> | http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> | "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
> | "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
> |

> Since you don't use FidoLook you can't see an X-Face and yes, they are useful in TEXT News
> Groups.
>
> FidoLook blows OEQF out of the water !!
>
> Maybe instead of an adhoc put-down, you need to try it.
>
> BTW: If you look in my header, you'll see...
> FL-Build: Fidolook 2002 (SL) 6.0.2800.94 - 5/4/2005 11:39:16

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:25:37 PM

In article <uTV0MmBjFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Americantechie"
<john(dot)fuller@nospamgmail.com> says...
> Ok, so I am new at posting to newgroups. If top posting is a problem how do
> you configure OE to automatically place your post and the sig at the end of
> your reply?

The best method is to NOT use OE for Usenet access, there are many free
Usenet readers that are much better and follow the RFC (Standards).

I use the free Anawave Super Gravity on Windows and PAN on Linux.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:13:33 PM

In article <ucaB1IIjFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net says...
> Since you don't use FidoLook you can't see an X-Face and yes, they are useful in TEXT News
> Groups.

Many true Usenet clients support X-Face, Super Gravity does as well as
most of the good ones.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:37:37 PM

NoStop wrote:

> Read RFC1855 that specifically states:

Aren't you forgetting something? The letters "RFC" mean "Request For
Comment." In no way can that possibly be interpreted to mean that "this
shall henceforth be carved in stone." An RFC is just that, a request
for input, and nothing more. It is not a standard of any sort.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 1:57:42 AM

> Thanks Kelly! Supposedly American't'echie plonked me. ;-)

Geek boy I don't understand your alien language. Take me to your leader or
I will blast you with my ray gun.

With a little help from Wikipedia I did find that "plonking" is to put
someone on a kill file.

> OEquotefix is a much simpler interface, and does the basic job

Oh look! Kurttrail actually gives some helpful information. Thank you.

> "My Dog blows your Dog! Na Na Nana Na!"

Oops wrong number. You got this newsgroup confused with another one.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I will check out the various
suggestions!

--
http://www.americantechie.com
Anonymous

Americantechie wrote:
>> Thanks Kelly! Supposedly American't'echie plonked me. ;-)
>
> Geek boy I don't understand your alien language. Take me to your
> leader or I will blast you with my ray gun.
>
> With a little help from Wikipedia I did find that "plonking" is to put
> someone on a kill file.
>
>> OEquotefix is a much simpler interface, and does the basic job
>
> Oh look! Kurttrail actually gives some helpful information. Thank
> you.
>> "My Dog blows your Dog! Na Na Nana Na!"
>
> Oops wrong number. You got this newsgroup confused with another one.
>
> Thanks to everyone for your responses. I will check out the various
> suggestions!

I love how you have taken my words from different posts out of context,
and then replied to them.

Work for the Bush administration?

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
July 20, 2005 11:47:14 AM

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
But we aren't usenet.

These groups are replicated across many thousands of USENET servers - so yes
this IS usenet.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 11:47:15 AM

Sorry Gordon but I also differ from your opinion

--
Peter

"Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message news:eUKyDbPjFHA.1480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> But we aren't usenet.
>
> These groups are replicated across many thousands of USENET servers - so yes
> this IS usenet.

July 20, 2005 12:41:54 PM

Tom Porterfield wrote on Tue, 19 Jul 2005:

>More important than whether the reply is on the bottom or top is to
>trim out irrelevant text. Apparently FidoLook does not know how to
>automatically trim irrelenvant text such as sigs.

This is my main gripe with the OE top-posting thing. Most other
newsreaders, when you start a follow-up message, will automatically trim
off anything that appears below the sig separator.

So if an OE user has included quotes from a previous post below his/her
signature, that will be cut off, and it takes a lot of fiddly cutting
and pasting between messages and adjusting of quote levels to restore
it.

Please, top-post if you prefer, but put your sig *at the bottom*!

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>NoStop wrote:
>>
>> Read RFC1855 that specifically states:
>>

> Aren't you forgetting something? The letters "RFC" mean "Request For
>Comment." In no way can that possibly be interpreted to mean that "this
>shall henceforth be carved in stone." An RFC is just that, a request
>for input, and nothing more. It is not a standard of any sort.

RFCs are very definitely standards. The basic rules of IP, TCP, email,
FTP, HTTP, Telnet and many, many, others are written in RFCs. If your
domputer does not obey the standards defined by RFCs it won't be able
to communicate with anybody else at all.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Tim Slattery wrote:
> RFCs are very definitely standards. The basic rules of IP, TCP, email,
> FTP, HTTP, Telnet and many, many, others are written in RFCs. If your
> domputer does not obey the standards defined by RFCs it won't be able
> to communicate with anybody else at all.

No, not all RFC's are, or rather become, standards. Some are proposed
standards, some are experimental, some are best current practices, some
are informational. The particular RFC in question, RFC1855, is an
informational RFC. There is an FYI that is created from RFC1855, but it
specifically is not a standard. See:

http://rfc.net/rfc1855.html
http://rfc.net/fyi0028.html

"Status of This Memo

This memo provides information for the Internet community. This memo
does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of this
memo is unlimited."
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

July 20, 2005 3:46:22 PM

Sorry Gordon but I also differ from your opinion

So someone reading this group on their ISP's USENET server is not using
Usenet? Come on.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:01:35 PM

NoStop wrote:

> The Net has never made Netiquette mandatory, but in rfc1855 suggests
> what constitutes Netiquette. I've participated in USENET since 1987
> and top posting has always been frawned upon within the community. It
> is just NOT a good practise and has only become a problem on USENET
> when the Wintards started to discover newsgroups and used such lame
> "newsreaders" as OE which encourages laziness and posting that breaks
> the majority of real newsreaders out there.

LOL!

A "suggestion" is the act of offering for consideration or action. A
suggest can can accepted or rejected. Some people rightfully reject the
"suggestion" to bottom-post. So tough titties on your "suggestion."

--
!