Sign in with
Your question

Switching display to HDMI resets Xbox 360

Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
December 9, 2009 9:01:05 AM

My Xbox 360 (Pro model from 2007, with HDMI) behaves annoyingly together with my Benq Q24W5 monitor. I have my Xbox 360 connected to the display's HDMI-port, and whenever I switch the display mode between DVI (where my PC is connected at) and HDMI, the Xbox 360 reboots. So if I'm in the middle of a game or a movie on my Xbox, I can't check to see what's up with my computer without losing my progress in the game or "rewinding" the film.

As I switch from the HDMI to another display mode, like DVI, the Xbox keeps running like it should be. But the moment i switch back to HDMI, it reboots.

Does anyone have any idea how is this possible, and how could I fix it to be able to use my computer and Xbox 360 properly with one monitor? The only advice I've gotten from my friends was to remove all cables and turn off both devices for half a minute or so, and then try again. That hasn't helped.

Thank you!
Anonymous
May 11, 2010 3:57:10 PM

This, theoretically, is not possible haha, which isn't helpful.

Basically, the HDMI cable is not a controller, and therefore shouldn't have the capability to reboot your Xbox 360.

I'd contact Microsoft about this, because i used to use my xbox in a similar way, and had no problems.

So it must be a fault with the actual Xbox, some connections in the mainboard may be crossed, and the HDMI port must somehow be linked to the Power.

Have you ever noticed that when you turn your xbox on, but it doesn't properly start up until you switch the monitor on?

This is why i think, the action of "resetting" your monitor input, is linked to "resetting" the Xbox 360.

If that makes sense?

I'd contact Microsoft, Personally.
Anonymous
June 27, 2010 8:39:47 PM

Possibly a bit late for you, but do you have an adapter or another cable plugged into the Xbox AV port? I have an audio adapter (to get optical audio along with HDMI) and that causes this problem for me.
Anonymous
June 28, 2010 11:49:24 AM

Yep, unplugging the audio adapter will prevent this, but as soon as I plug it back in, the xbox reboots.
!