Newsgroup Stats

Here is a site I hadn't seen before until someone posted a link in
another group.

http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/ReportCard.asp?timespan=y&searchfor
=rec.games.miniatures.historical&searchdate=2004

Fascinating stuff, and some surprises, too. For example there have been
over 500 different posters to RGMH in 2004 - sometimes it feels like
there are just about a dozen regulars. The profile of activity is
interesting, too - several hundred posts a week in the first two months
of the year (which is when I would guess we had the height of the
arguments following Saddam's capture and Abu Ghraib, also Dresden), a
sharp drop, then a burst of activity in May (when we were discussing
wargamers' social skills and price comparisons with 1980), followed by a
long decline and a bit of a recovery in September.
And the most prolific poster, with more than double the posts of his
nearest rival? - step forward our own Ty Bead.
--
John Secker

In message <HY3ePRSHZmnBFwGe@secker.demon.co.uk>, John Secker
<john@secker.demon.co.uk> writes
>Here is a site I hadn't seen before until someone posted a link in
>another group.
>
>http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/ReportCard.asp?timespan=y&searchfor
>=rec.games.miniatures.historical&searchdate=2004
>
>Fascinating stuff, and some surprises, too. For example there have been
>over 500 different posters to RGMH in 2004 - sometimes it feels like
>there are just about a dozen regulars. The profile of activity is
>interesting, too - several hundred posts a week in the first two months
>of the year (which is when I would guess we had the height of the
>arguments following Saddam's capture and Abu Ghraib, also Dresden), a
>sharp drop, then a burst of activity in May (when we were discussing
>wargamers' social skills and price comparisons with 1980), followed by
>a long decline and a bit of a recovery in September.
>And the most prolific poster, with more than double the posts of his
>nearest rival? - step forward our own Ty Bead.
And to follow up my own post, I had a look at a summary of 2000. A lot
more activity - a peak of over 800 in one week, and an average of about
300 a week, though there was a strange gap in July/August with virtually
no posts at all. And the top five threads were "Regarding Pro-Nazi
posts", "Validation Primer" (about the theory of systems modelling),
"Gun Violence", "Longevity of Superpowers" and "Historical Accuracy in
Films". But Ty was still our most prolific contributor. (Note that the
last table orders people on the rather strange basis of the number of
days in which they were present on the group. So if you sign on every
day and make one post each day, you come higher up the table than
someone who signs on once a week and makes fifty posts each time).
--
John Secker