Error msg re: cyclic redundancy

Hello .. I am trying to copy a file from a floppy to a Wndowsxp computer
hard drive & keep getting the following message:
"Cannot copy file name - cyclic redundancy check".

I have copied this file before .. it is a small access97 data base created
on a windows98 system, so am baffled as to why I get this message. The
destination folder doesn't contain a file of the same name.

Any help would be much appreciated .. this is the first time I have had
access to a Winxp system, so am very lacking in knowledge specific to Winxp.

Thanks in advance,
Abay
3 answers Last reply
More about error cyclic redundancy

    “cyclic redundancy check� - the disk may be damaged.
    Try reading the disc from another computer and see if you can read the disc.
    If you can read the file from another computer, save it to an alternative
    disk.

    "Abay" wrote:

    > Hello .. I am trying to copy a file from a floppy to a Wndowsxp computer
    > hard drive & keep getting the following message:
    > "Cannot copy file name - cyclic redundancy check".
    >
    > I have copied this file before .. it is a small access97 data base created
    > on a windows98 system, so am baffled as to why I get this message. The
    > destination folder doesn't contain a file of the same name.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated .. this is the first time I have had
    > access to a Winxp system, so am very lacking in knowledge specific to Winxp.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Abay

    I tried it with two different discs yesterday & today will try with two more
    ... also will do as you suggest and see if I can read the discs on another
    system .. thanks for your reply ... Abay

    "TaurArian" <TaurArian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > "cyclic redundancy check" - the disk may be damaged.
    > Try reading the disc from another computer and see if you can read the
    disc.
    > If you can read the file from another computer, save it to an alternative
    > disk.
    >

    > "Abay" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello .. I am trying to copy a file from a floppy to a Wndowsxp computer
    > > hard drive & keep getting the following message:
    > > "Cannot copy file name - cyclic redundancy check".
    > >
    > > I have copied this file before .. it is a small access97 data base
    created
    > > on a windows98 system, so am baffled as to why I get this message. The
    > > destination folder doesn't contain a file of the same name.
    > >
    > > Any help would be much appreciated .. this is the first time I have had
    > > access to a Winxp system, so am very lacking in knowledge specific to
    Winxp.

    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Abay

    CRC is the error checking used on the disk itself. Each sector (files
    are made up of 1 or more "sectors" of data on the disk (chunks))
    has a certain amount of "overhead" which includes sector number,
    track number, data and a CRC to validate the sector. If you see
    that error, it usually indicates the drive had a problem reading a
    sector. It may be something magnetic was near the disk or the
    alignment of the drive is different from the one it was written on.

    mikey

    "Abay" <abcd@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I tried it with two different discs yesterday & today will try with two
    more
    > .. also will do as you suggest and see if I can read the discs on another
    > system .. thanks for your reply ... Abay
    >

    > "TaurArian" <TaurArian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > "cyclic redundancy check" - the disk may be damaged.
    > > Try reading the disc from another computer and see if you can read the
    > disc.
    > > If you can read the file from another computer, save it to an
    alternative
    > > disk.
    > >

    > > "Abay" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello .. I am trying to copy a file from a floppy to a Wndowsxp
    computer
    > > > hard drive & keep getting the following message:
    > > > "Cannot copy file name - cyclic redundancy check".
    > > >
    > > > I have copied this file before .. it is a small access97 data base
    > created
    > > > on a windows98 system, so am baffled as to why I get this message.
    The
    > > > destination folder doesn't contain a file of the same name.
    > > >
    > > > Any help would be much appreciated .. this is the first time I have
    had
    > > > access to a Winxp system, so am very lacking in knowledge specific to
    > Winxp.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance,
    > > > Abay

Windows XP