PC3500 ddr433mhz

amojandu1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
Can anyone tell me whether this ram will work on my asus a8v deluxe rev2 mobo?

GeIL 512MB PC3500 Ultra Platinum CAS2 (GL5123500UP)

i'm thinking of buying two of these sticks as opposed to a matched pair as they have none in stock.

the reason for why i am buying pc3500 as opposed to pc3200 is cuz i am a keen overclocker and i have currently o/c my amd64 3000+ to run at 2.43ghz using cas2.5 pc2100 ram (270fsb).

Will this ram be ok or would u suggest even faster ram?

Also will I need to change the voltage in bios to run ram faster than pc3200?

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I would get PC4000 if I were you, here in the UK its not that much more expensive than PC3200 (good brand PC3200 at least).

i have currently o/c my amd64 3000+ to run at 2.43ghz using cas2.5 pc2100 ram (270fsb)
So you have overclocked your RAM by 4Mhz??? Woooooo you are hard core!

You may need to change the voltage in BIOS in order to get a stable overclock, my Geil Ultra RAM lets me go up to 2.95v without voiding the warrenty.

amojandu1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
any suggestions as to which pc4000 ram i shud go for? also are you sure it will work on my mobo?

in reply to...
"So you have overclocked your RAM by 4Mhz??? Woooooo you are hard core!"

the fsb is upped to 270 so the ram which at default runs at 133mhz is now running at 173.6mhz. i'd say thats a bit more than 4mhz mate!

anyway thanks for your reply.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Sorry I thought you meant 270Mhz memory, so you are not running your RAM and FSB at a 1:1 then?

Crucial ballistix is sposed to be the best RAM on the market at the moment. But any name brand RAM should be fine. You might want to check on your mainboard manufacturers web site, a lot of mainboards do a memory combatability guide.

amojandu1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
no its not runing at 1:1. Ive checked the asus website but i cant seem to find anything on compatible memory.

However, there are some reccommedations in the user manual but the memory is either std pc3200 or its no longer available.

its a bit of a headache buying memory aint it? i mean if i dont get the right type (single or double sided? i really dont know what that means) i might end up with useless ram (for me anyway) and 200 bucks less in my wallet.

Is there anyone out there running an asus a8v mobo with above pc3200 spec ram?

please help.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
To be honest m8 any brand name memory should work in your motherboard, its just that some athlon64 motherboards are a lil picky about memory so u you might have to use slightly lax timmings. Just get some PC4000 Geil ultra, and if your motherboard is a socket939 motherboard get a dual channel kit if you can.

Dont worry about double sided or single sided. Your motherboard isnt a socket940 one is it? Because they require ECC RAM.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Asus doesn't recommend anything faster than PC3200 for any DDR motherboard. And their recommendation means nothing. PC4000 works on all their PC3200 boards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

Crash I've seen a similar post from you before, and I believe you, but why in the hell do you think they would recommend sticking with the 3200?

Edit: In fact I have an email from Crucial suggesting as you do to go with the pc4000
<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Wraithfire on 02/27/05 08:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

How much of a performance increase is there bewteen crucial's 3200 and 4000?

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ballistix PC3200 and PC4000 are pretty much the same thing. The PC3200 comes SPD set at 2-2-2-6 and is known to run 2-2-2-5 at stock speed or 2.5-3-3-8 at DDR500. The 4000 comes SPD set at 2.5-3-3-8 and is known to run 2-2-2-5 at DDR400.

So other than the SPD values these are probably the same thing. However the more conservative SPD values for the PC4000 mean newbies will be less likely to encounter a system hang when they forget to make the needed adjustments to voltage when overclocking.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

Lol, i.e. newbies like me :smile: In any event, I was going to go with a 1GB kit of <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-227-204&depa=1" target="_new"> OCZ DDR PC-3200 Gold VX </A>

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Since the 3200 oc's to 4000 speed at 4000's latencies, and the 4000 clocks to the 3200's speed at the 3200's latencies, I have to assume the chips are identicle and the only difference is SPD programing.

G

Lol, you dirty lil bastard :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Reread my Ballistix PC4000 review at Sysopt, these aren't standard -5B G chips, they're -4V's. Yes, they come from -5B batches, but they're hand-picked as capable of running high speeds at tight timings, and remarked as tested (4ns rather than 5).