Desktop under $400

jakes69

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Plan on buying a desktop for my wife to use at her real estate office. She already got a laptop but she is tire of dragging it around daily.

Nothing fancy...just enough to surf the web & run the MS suite.

I also saw some refurbished desktops at Micro-Center for under $400...is it worth the risk?

Thanks in advance.

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Check out Newegg.com or Amazon.com. You can search for Desktop PC's and get a list of them. Then you can narrow your search based on price. Both websites are rated at the top 1 and 2 websites for electronics in one of the Consumer Reports magazine.

As for "refurbished". be very careful. Check the warranties carried by the seller, and make sure there is some kind of return policy. Sometimes these are great for cheap but good computers... other times... a nightmare. Additionally, make sure that the computer is wiped and either given to you (after telling you) with a blank ready to use hard drive, or freshly installed operating system.

christiangordon

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
I wouldn't get a atom CPU myself... they are just a bit slow even when just using IE. I would make sure to get a base CPU and a decent video card. Refurbs can be good if you make sure to get a warranty with them.