ATI HD 4600 and WIndows 7

Skiddypants

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Hello,

I have just returned to gaming and had put a new AGP card in my aging system, with XP all was fine and as expected but last week I upgraded to Win 7 and now when Im watching streaming video it has very low FPS, also when scrolling up and down web pages there is lots of stuttering and delay.

Game play seems ok with BF1942 and BF" HL2 etc, just have this problem with streaming and websites.

Any Ideas?

Spec is:

Intel P4 @ 3200
ASUS P4S800 MOBO
ATI HD 4600 AGP - 1 gig DDR3
2 gig DDR
250G HDD
Soundmax IDA (Soundblaster wasnt reconised by Win7 and couldnt get a driver for it).

ish416

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Did you install the drivers for the card or are you using the built in Win7 ones?

Also, most sites with flash can easily bring a P4 to full CPU utilization.

Surgeking

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Sounds like driver issues to me. Try to uninstall the old graphic drivers and re install win 7 versions. Also, might be low ram. turn off aero and junk.

Windows 7 uses the video card for accelerating the desktop(Aero) and modern browsers do the same.

Maybe with XP's lower video requirements and many browsers not using hardware acceleration on XP you are seeing this side effect.

I would also suggest trying some browsers and even playing with the hareware acceleration options on the browsers(or even try Windows 7 basic as a theme).

All this is to free up video resources for your video playback.

On faster hardware this hardware acceleration improves things.