hardrive went from ntfs to hpfs

My 80 gb hardrive went from ntfs to ntfs,hpfs. Now I can't access computer
at all due to blue screen. Acronis disk editor or partition expert will not
let me format disk or access it. I am running xp pro. I would like to
retrieve files, repair windows xp pro and possibly find out how this
happened. My son has access to the computer and I somehow suspect he tried
to get better performance either with program disk or off internet. Is this
possible??
--
peterh
2 answers Last reply

    Hi Peter,

    Do some reading here and good luck:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hpfs

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    In <2D93E82D-FE41-48BD-81E6-E565EE943DCF@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZXJo?= <peterh@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
    >My 80 gb hardrive went from ntfs to ntfs,hpfs. Now I can't access computer
    >at all due to blue screen. Acronis disk editor or partition expert will not
    >let me format disk or access it. I am running xp pro. I would like to
    >retrieve files, repair windows xp pro and possibly find out how this
    >happened. My son has access to the computer and I somehow suspect he tried
    >to get better performance either with program disk or off internet. Is this
    >possible??

    Perhaps he edited the boot sector. Find out what utility he used and hold a gun at his head until he gets it back the way it was. It is as simple as changing 05 to 07 or something like that.

Windows XP NTFS Computers