hardrive went from ntfs to hpfs

PeterH

My 80 gb hardrive went from ntfs to ntfs,hpfs. Now I can't access computer
at all due to blue screen. Acronis disk editor or partition expert will not
let me format disk or access it. I am running xp pro. I would like to
retrieve files, repair windows xp pro and possibly find out how this
happened. My son has access to the computer and I somehow suspect he tried
to get better performance either with program disk or off internet. Is this
possible??
--
peterh

kelly

Hi Peter,

Do some reading here and good luck:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hpfs

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In <2D93E82D-FE41-48BD-81E6-E565EE943DCF@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZXJo?= <peterh@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
>My 80 gb hardrive went from ntfs to ntfs,hpfs. Now I can't access computer
>at all due to blue screen. Acronis disk editor or partition expert will not
>let me format disk or access it. I am running xp pro. I would like to
>retrieve files, repair windows xp pro and possibly find out how this
>happened. My son has access to the computer and I somehow suspect he tried
>to get better performance either with program disk or off internet. Is this
>possible??

Perhaps he edited the boot sector. Find out what utility he used and hold a gun at his head until he gets it back the way it was. It is as simple as changing 05 to 07 or something like that.