Need Help With Display Problems...

A strange problem developed on my monitor immediately after the "Dish
Satellite" guy installed the Dish for us. While he was at my house he
asked me to turn-off my computer as he was going to have the Dish Box make a
connection with his office to download something via the phone line. As we
have dsl, I guess he felt there might be a problem leaving the computer on.

So I turned-off the computer, which I seldom do, and he attempted his
call-out which for some reason didn't work for him. As he was about to
leave, I re-booted my computer. The normal text I would see on the monitor
as it boots up looked like gobbledy-beloved patriot. Many of the words were there,
but some of the letters were spaced way-out. Presently, when I boot-up,
which I've done numerous times since yesterday, the main windows screen does
all kinds of strange things: vertical lines, cursor almost non existent and
frequently just a mere speck; often when moving the mouse a bit, the screen
goes black for a moment. strangely enough, when I go on the internet via
Internet Explorer, things seem to work okay, with some minor display
problems and black-outs.

I went out and bought another monitor, thinking that must have been the
problem, but it wasn't. Would the most likely culprit be a bad video-card?
That's all I could guess... Btw, I scanned my computer for any viruses
and/or spyware, and both scans turned-up nothing. I'm not sure if the Dish
guy had anything to do with my problem, or if it's just a mere coincidence.
I would appreciate any tips/advice with my display problems. Thanks in
advance.

kelly

Hi Dave,

My first call would be to find out why his attempt call-out didn't work for
him. Second question, same call would be: Why did I have to turn my
computer off during this time? What would have been the ramifications if
not (if they know, even better) and if not then spurt out what has happened.

Take if from there and return your recently purchased merchandise until this
is all figured. Good luck with your new satellite and computer.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>A strange problem developed on my monitor immediately after the "Dish
>Satellite" guy installed the Dish for us. While he was at my house he
>asked me to turn-off my computer as he was going to have the Dish Box make
>a connection with his office to download something via the phone line. As
>we have dsl, I guess he felt there might be a problem leaving the computer
>on.
>
> So I turned-off the computer, which I seldom do, and he attempted his
> call-out which for some reason didn't work for him. As he was about to
> leave, I re-booted my computer. The normal text I would see on the
> monitor as it boots up looked like gobbledy-beloved patriot. Many of the words were
> there, but some of the letters were spaced way-out. Presently, when I
> boot-up, which I've done numerous times since yesterday, the main windows
> screen does all kinds of strange things: vertical lines, cursor almost
> non existent and frequently just a mere speck; often when moving the
> mouse a bit, the screen goes black for a moment. strangely enough, when I
> go on the internet via Internet Explorer, things seem to work okay, with
> some minor display problems and black-outs.
>
> I went out and bought another monitor, thinking that must have been the
> problem, but it wasn't. Would the most likely culprit be a bad
> video-card? That's all I could guess... Btw, I scanned my computer for
> any viruses and/or spyware, and both scans turned-up nothing. I'm not
> sure if the Dish guy had anything to do with my problem, or if it's just a
> mere coincidence. I would appreciate any tips/advice with my display
> problems. Thanks in advance.

Hello Dave,

It looks like that this issue may be caused by the bad video-card or the
disturbance signal from the Satellite.

I agree with Kelly's suggestion that we should find out the effect from the
satellite at first.

Good luck.

Jacky Gu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

--------------------
| From: "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org>
| Subject: Re: Need Help With Display Problems...
| Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 01:28:13 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Hi Dave,
|
| My first call would be to find out why his attempt call-out didn't work
for
| him. Second question, same call would be: Why did I have to turn my
| computer off during this time? What would have been the ramifications if
| not (if they know, even better) and if not then spurt out what has
happened.

| Take if from there and return your recently purchased merchandise until
this
| is all figured. Good luck with your new satellite and computer.
|
| --
|
| All the Best,
| Kelly (MS-MVP)
|
| Troubleshooting Windows XP
| http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
|

| "Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
| >A strange problem developed on my monitor immediately after the "Dish
| >Satellite" guy installed the Dish for us. While he was at my house he
| >asked me to turn-off my computer as he was going to have the Dish Box
make
| >a connection with his office to download something via the phone line.
As
| >we have dsl, I guess he felt there might be a problem leaving the
computer
| >on.
| >
| > So I turned-off the computer, which I seldom do, and he attempted his
| > call-out which for some reason didn't work for him. As he was about to
| > leave, I re-booted my computer. The normal text I would see on the
| > monitor as it boots up looked like gobbledy-beloved patriot. Many of the words
were
| > there, but some of the letters were spaced way-out. Presently, when I
| > boot-up, which I've done numerous times since yesterday, the main
windows
| > screen does all kinds of strange things: vertical lines, cursor almost
| > non existent and frequently just a mere speck; often when moving the
| > mouse a bit, the screen goes black for a moment. strangely enough,
when I
| > go on the internet via Internet Explorer, things seem to work okay,
with
| > some minor display problems and black-outs.
| >
| > I went out and bought another monitor, thinking that must have been the
| > problem, but it wasn't. Would the most likely culprit be a bad
| > video-card? That's all I could guess... Btw, I scanned my computer
for
| > any viruses and/or spyware, and both scans turned-up nothing. I'm not
| > sure if the Dish guy had anything to do with my problem, or if it's
just a
| > mere coincidence. I would appreciate any tips/advice with my display
| > problems. Thanks in advance.

Kelly & Jacky-

Thanks for your replies. I called Dish and they said that the phone call
the "box" makes for activation is simply a regular call to their office to
activate the account. He said it's a passive box that merely makes a
connection. He did not really know why the tech guy's call did not work
when he attempted to activate my box.

He also said the Satellite itself does not give off any magnetic fields or
otherwise adversely impact computer equipment.

So, would you conclude, knowing that the monitor is not the problem, that
the video card needs to be changed? Is there any other logical component
of my computer that could be causing this problem? Thanks very much for
any additional help.

"Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>A strange problem developed on my monitor immediately after the "Dish
>Satellite" guy installed the Dish for us. While he was at my house he
>asked me to turn-off my computer as he was going to have the Dish Box make
>a connection with his office to download something via the phone line. As
>we have dsl, I guess he felt there might be a problem leaving the computer
>on.
>
> So I turned-off the computer, which I seldom do, and he attempted his
> call-out which for some reason didn't work for him. As he was about to
> leave, I re-booted my computer. The normal text I would see on the
> monitor as it boots up looked like gobbledy-beloved patriot. Many of the words were
> there, but some of the letters were spaced way-out. Presently, when I
> boot-up, which I've done numerous times since yesterday, the main windows
> screen does all kinds of strange things: vertical lines, cursor almost
> non existent and frequently just a mere speck; often when moving the
> mouse a bit, the screen goes black for a moment. strangely enough, when I
> go on the internet via Internet Explorer, things seem to work okay, with
> some minor display problems and black-outs.
>
> I went out and bought another monitor, thinking that must have been the
> problem, but it wasn't. Would the most likely culprit be a bad
> video-card? That's all I could guess... Btw, I scanned my computer for
> any viruses and/or spyware, and both scans turned-up nothing. I'm not
> sure if the Dish guy had anything to do with my problem, or if it's just a
> mere coincidence. I would appreciate any tips/advice with my display
> problems. Thanks in advance.

frodo

since you say you turned the system off for the first time in a very long
time, I'd suspect that that power-cycle and/or thermal-cycle caused
something to "break". I'd suggest opening up your box, and cleaning it,
I'll bet it's dusty! reseat all cards, check all fans, etc. reseat all
connectors (you swapped monitors, so that connector was reseated).
If you're lucky you'll get it back. If not try a friend's video card (a
good friend!) to verify, and put your video card in their box to verify
that it is fried.

My computer has been turned-off as recently as a week ago. So, it's not
like I haven't had if off in a long time. But I'll take your advice and
clean-out the cpu and try to re-seat everything...

Is there any chance that my Windows XP could be causing any of these
problems? Most of the weird display problems show-up on my desktop.
Although, in any program, including Windows Explorer or Outlook Express the
screen will occasionally go black; then I just move the mouse or enter a
key and it goes back on. Weird, huh??? Should I try to re-install XP?
Or is this not likely the cause? Thanks again.

<frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
> since you say you turned the system off for the first time in a very long
> time, I'd suspect that that power-cycle and/or thermal-cycle caused
> something to "break". I'd suggest opening up your box, and cleaning it,
> I'll bet it's dusty! reseat all cards, check all fans, etc. reseat all
> connectors (you swapped monitors, so that connector was reseated).
> If you're lucky you'll get it back. If not try a friend's video card (a
> good friend!) to verify, and put your video card in their box to verify
> that it is fried.

Hello Dave,

In my opinion, this issue does not seem to be related to Windows XP. It
should be caused by the hardware. You may change a video card as a test.

Jacky Gu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

--------------------
| From: "Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| Subject: Re: Need Help With Display Problems...
| Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:37:48 GMT
|
| My computer has been turned-off as recently as a week ago. So, it's not
| like I haven't had if off in a long time. But I'll take your advice and
| clean-out the cpu and try to re-seat everything...
|
| Is there any chance that my Windows XP could be causing any of these
| problems? Most of the weird display problems show-up on my desktop.
| Although, in any program, including Windows Explorer or Outlook Express
the
| screen will occasionally go black; then I just move the mouse or enter a
| key and it goes back on. Weird, huh??? Should I try to re-install XP?
| Or is this not likely the cause? Thanks again.
|

| <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
| > since you say you turned the system off for the first time in a very
long
| > time, I'd suspect that that power-cycle and/or thermal-cycle caused
| > something to "break". I'd suggest opening up your box, and cleaning it,
| > I'll bet it's dusty! reseat all cards, check all fans, etc. reseat all
| > connectors (you swapped monitors, so that connector was reseated).
| > If you're lucky you'll get it back. If not try a friend's video card (a
| > good friend!) to verify, and put your video card in their box to verify
| > that it is fried.

Thanks Jacky once again for your input.

Funny enough, things have almost returned to "normal" without me doing
anything more. Initially I re-seated the video card and vacuumed out the
dust on that card; but even after doing that, some of the symptoms had
persisted. Well now, about 3 days later and things are looking almost
perfect once again. Occasionally, I'll see a line from an internet news
article "misaligned", but other than that I'm feeling pretty good.

I have no clue what caused the weird display problems. I'm assuming that
the "Dish" was not responsible, but it was sure coincidental that the
problems fell right on the heels of them doing their install and me
rebooting my computer.

Thanks once again for everyone's kind recommendations! I really appreciate
your help.