Windows XP activation problem!

July 19, 2005 4:16:03 AM

I Installed my new Windows XP Home Edition on another computer. I forgot
about the 30 day limit to have the software activated with a key, and now I
can't even log on to uninstall the program or to even try to make some
changes so that I can reinstall another older Windows program! Is there some
way to access and uninstall this Windows XP? Or do I have to fdisk and
reformat the PC to reinstall Windows again? Anyone have a an answer?
--
NeoRulzu
Anonymous

If you have the xp cd,simply boot to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,
then type:D iskPart In DiskPart delete the partition(xp),create a new one
and/or
press Esc key,type:EXIT If youre installing an "older windows OS" You'll need
to format 1st.

"NeoRulzu" wrote:

> I Installed my new Windows XP Home Edition on another computer. I forgot
> about the 30 day limit to have the software activated with a key, and now I
> can't even log on to uninstall the program or to even try to make some
> changes so that I can reinstall another older Windows program! Is there some
> way to access and uninstall this Windows XP? Or do I have to fdisk and
> reformat the PC to reinstall Windows again? Anyone have a an answer?
> --
> NeoRulzu
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:34:05 PM

"NeoRulzu" <NeoRulzu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I Installed my new Windows XP Home Edition on another computer. I forgot
> about the 30 day limit to have the software activated with a key, and now
> can't even log on to uninstall the program or to even try to make some
> changes so that I can reinstall another older Windows program! Is there
> some
> way to access and uninstall this Windows XP? Or do I have to fdisk and
> reformat the PC to reinstall Windows again? Anyone have a an answer?
> --

I assume by "... on another computer" you mean you removed it from any
machine it was previously installed to and that it is a Retail product not
an OEM one. If either of these is not correct then the first thing you need
do is purchase another copy/license for Windows XP as it is licensed as one
license per PC.

You can boot your PC to Safe Mode (by pressing F8 during the boot up and
selecting that from the menu. This will allow you to logon as the local
Administrator account who's password you set during the install and then
activate.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"NeoRulzu" <NeoRulzu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I Installed my new Windows XP Home Edition on another computer. I forgot
> about the 30 day limit to have the software activated with a key, and now
> can't even log on to uninstall the program or to even try to make some
> changes so that I can reinstall another older Windows program! Is there
> some
> way to access and uninstall this Windows XP? Or do I have to fdisk and
> reformat the PC to reinstall Windows again? Anyone have a an answer?
> --
> NeoRulzu
Related resources
July 23, 2005 11:08:25 PM

Activation is an inconvenience. It doesn't stop piracy; it just
inconveniences everyone.

"NeoRulzu" <NeoRulzu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I Installed my new Windows XP Home Edition on another computer. I forgot
> about the 30 day limit to have the software activated with a key, and now
> can't even log on to uninstall the program or to even try to make some
> changes so that I can reinstall another older Windows program! Is there
> some
> way to access and uninstall this Windows XP? Or do I have to fdisk and
> reformat the PC to reinstall Windows again? Anyone have a an answer?
> --
> NeoRulzu
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:33:29 AM

"BrianC" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> Activation is an inconvenience. It doesn't stop piracy; it just
> inconveniences everyone.

It at the very least helps remind casual pirates - e.g. home users who
,mistaken believe they can install one copy of XP on man machine that this
is not the case.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"BrianC" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> Activation is an inconvenience. It doesn't stop piracy; it just
> inconveniences everyone.
>

> "NeoRulzu" <NeoRulzu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I Installed my new Windows XP Home Edition on another computer. I forgot
>> about the 30 day limit to have the software activated with a key, and now
>> can't even log on to uninstall the program or to even try to make some
>> changes so that I can reinstall another older Windows program! Is there
>> some
>> way to access and uninstall this Windows XP? Or do I have to fdisk and
>> reformat the PC to reinstall Windows again? Anyone have a an answer?
>> --
>> NeoRulzu

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:24:08 PM

In news:ux62SP%23jFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
BrianC <no@no.com> typed:

> Activation is an inconvenience.

I will grant you that in some circumstances it inconveniences
some people slightly. If you have to activate by telephone, it
can take 4 or 5 minutes, and some would consider that an
inconvenience. If it is, it's a slight one.

> It doesn't stop piracy;

Nobody I know ever claimed it stopped piracy. It's intent was to
*reduce* piracy--especially casual piracy, as opposed to those
selling pirated copies--and judging by the computers of those
many Windows XP users I know, it's certainly done. I see very few
pirated copies in circumstances where, pre-Windows XP and
activation, I would have seen many.

> it just
> inconveniences everyone.

I have Windows XP installed on two desktops and a laptop here.
Activation hasn't inconvenienced me in the slightest. I've also
installed it on half a dozen or so other computers I support, and
it hasn't inconvenienced any of those people either. Clearly, it
doesn't come close to inconveniencing "everyone." It may
occasionally inconvenience someone slightly.

I don't like the idea of activation, and wish that it hadn't
been implemented. But I certainly understand why they did it, and
I'm very happy that they did it in such a way that I wasn't
inconvenience at all.

Please reply to the newsgroup
!