strange Cdrom/DVD roms problem

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
i replaced a cd-writer not to long ago (6 months). no problem
I added a harddrive to ide channel 1. At same time i may have switched my dvd rom(panasonic 16x) and cd rom around..(master becomes slave)

Not too long after (may be just a coincidence)..my dvd rom is failing to read more and more disks..but then so to is my new cd-rewriter.
At present, neither reads any disk i put in..and they don't stop trying to read until i eject the disk.

After putting in the disk into the cd-rewriter (the master on ide channel 2) ...the light keeps coming up on the other dvd rom drive (slave) (keeps trying to access it) until i reboot the machine.

Windows 2000 pro (sp4) insists the drives are fine ..and not all the cases of trying to read the cd generate cd-rom errors in the event viewer (even though i always have to eject the disk to get the machine to stop trying to read the disk)

OK. so i decide to disconnect the dvd rom to see if that is messing them both up.

Now here is the really...

STRANGE PART:

When i disconnect the slave dvd rom: The computer will not boot.
It beeps 2x fast (award bios code, i looked up, says this is a memory error --which it isn't) and displays the message ..INVALID(or incompatible not sure which) SLAVE DEVICE ..press F1 to resume.

At this point, i turn power off and reconnect the slave drive. The computer boots normally.

---

So..why will the computer not boot when i disconnect the slave?
I have double checked the jumpers..and they are set right.

I am left with the master..plugged into the end of the cable. I don't see why it won't reboot and then start normally.

Since i get the error message right away..before boot screen..perhaps DMI can't refresh and computer still thinks there should be a drive attached..??

Anyways, what do you people think is the problem ..or problems???

TIA :)

(just to be clear..i have 2 hard drives on IDE 1 channel)

and 1 dvd rom + 1 cd rewriter on ide 2 channel
--nothing is set to cable select (they are either slave or master).

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
followup. I bough a new LG dvd rewriter.

I put it all by itself on the ide channel as master.

got same error on boot (cept this time it went through a partial boot):

invalid slave device incompatible atapi. press f1 to resume.

So i threw in the old 16 x dvd rom --and it booted fine.
(for some reason my computer will only boot with 4 devices now)

But the new drive does work at least. So i guess that means my other 2 drives did fail at the same time.

so what's really bugging me now..is why i must have 4 devices or computer won't boot.

Llamaman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Not sure if this is the problem, but... have you checked that in BIOS your devices are set to auto detect? maybe it is expecting 4 devices and gets upset if there are less? i'd be surprised if this was it, but you never know!