Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Plasma HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
August 27, 2009 5:00:36 PM

I have a computer all setup now to run to a HDTV. Right now I am using an old TV with an old Dell to run movies/music/pictures over the TV via s-video.

Now my question; I am looking at getting a 58 inch plasma and wanted to get some opinions. I will be hooking up a 750 board with a 9800 GX2 to it. The main brands I have been looking at have been Samsung, and Panasonic but I am open to others. It will have to be 1080p and able to do 2 HDMI hookup's. I really do not want to go anything under 58 inches. Does anyone have any suggestions on what exact models to look at and what not to look at?

My budget is around 2500!

More about : plasma hdtv

August 28, 2009 8:25:23 PM

Got another question. I went to a specialty store last night that only did tv's and tv repairs. He told me that plasma's are crap and that if space was not an issue and that if you were not going to hang it go with DLP. We checked out the DLP's and they were incredible. The picture was great, if not better then their nicest LCD's.

So what does everyone think about DLP's?
Score
0

Best solution

August 29, 2009 11:30:22 PM

jtmoney528 said:
Got another question. I went to a specialty store last night that only did tv's and tv repairs. He told me that plasma's are crap and that if space was not an issue and that if you were not going to hang it go with DLP. We checked out the DLP's and they were incredible. The picture was great, if not better then their nicest LCD's.

So what does everyone think about DLP's?


IIRC DLPs used to have problems with displaying fast motion - color shifting or some such. Besides, they are projection TVs and not direct-view.

Plasmas are not "crap" - according to CNET the top-rated HDTV currently is the Panasonic PV10 series plasma. Personally I have owned several LCD HDTVs (Sharp Aquos, a couple of Sony Bravia XBR's) and one Pioneer Elite 50" plasma. The Pioneer is definitely the best cinematic display for watching quality BD movies. But the Sony TVs are close :) .

Plasmas use more electricity and generate more heat than an LCD TV, esp. compared with the new LED backlight LCDs. However they have a much higher contrast ratio (esp. important in dark scenes) and don't suffer from motion blur (which the 120Hz and 240Hz LCDs have also greatly improved).

What I suggest is that you go to several stores (besides that "specialty store" where they may be trying to unload inventory) such as Best Buy and spend an hour or two comparing the pictures if the salesman will let you adjust the picture settings so as to counteract the pumped-up brightness & color saturation. Usually that means when they are not busy. And see if they'll let you play a favorite DVD that you bring along.
Share
Related resources
August 31, 2009 9:16:49 PM

If size vs price is an issue the DLP rear projection is excellent. No burn in issues that limit plasma use with PC. You could go larger with this type of TV and still come out cheaper than any other type set without sacrificing picture quality. You will have to replace the lamp eventually, you can't hang it on a wall since they are still 12"-16" deep and the picture degrades off angle (as does LCD but not plasma).
Score
0
August 31, 2009 9:55:47 PM

americanaudiophile said:
If size vs price is an issue the DLP rear projection is excellent. No burn in issues that limit plasma use with PC. You could go larger with this type of TV and still come out cheaper than any other type set without sacrificing picture quality. You will have to replace the lamp eventually, you can't hang it on a wall since they are still 12"-16" deep and the picture degrades off angle (as does LCD but not plasma).


Well I have around 2500 to spend. What do you suggest I go with. I do not care about replacing a lamp (100$) every 2 years, and I also do not care about hanging it on a wall. The picture angle does not bother me because with a 65" TV it will be in a corner and trying to see it from the side is next to impossible.

My major question is how does the PQ compare to LCD/Plasma? When I saw the new LCD LED series compared to the Mit's DLP I thought the DLP's actually looked better. I just want to get a lot of opinions since I will be watching this TV for quite awhile.
Score
0
September 4, 2009 6:58:34 PM

Mitsubishi has 73" sets in that price range. Bigger is better in this case. DLP produces an excellent picture with great blacks and no motion artifacts unlike LCD.
The Mitsubishi Laservue sets are spectacular, they use a laser instead a a lamp to light up the DLP panel. Best reds you can get but way out of your price range.
Score
0
September 7, 2009 8:57:48 PM

jtmoney528 said:
I have a computer all setup now to run to a HDTV. Right now I am using an old TV with an old Dell to run movies/music/pictures over the TV via s-video.

Now my question; I am looking at getting a 58 inch plasma and wanted to get some opinions. I will be hooking up a 750 board with a 9800 GX2 to it. The main brands I have been looking at have been Samsung, and Panasonic but I am open to others. It will have to be 1080p and able to do 2 HDMI hookup's. I really do not want to go anything under 58 inches. Does anyone have any suggestions on what exact models to look at and what not to look at?

My budget is around 2500!

I'd go with the panny g10
Score
0
September 10, 2009 5:51:27 PM

greenmatter said:
I'd go with the panny g10


It will have a computer hooked up to it at all times and plasma scares me with doing that because of burn in. Burn in's from what I hear are even worse when you have a computer hooked to it at all times with static images.
Score
0
September 17, 2009 5:22:17 AM

Hi friends,
I want to buy Pioneer PDP-6020FD 60-Inch Class KURO Plasma HDTV,but I have some concerns about Pioneer's Plasma's because I've heard they are not making them anymore. So one, is that true? My other concern are about hot spots and plasmas in general.

So do you all like Pioneer as a plasma company? Is there a better company you would recommend for this price-$4000 to 6k. I'm willing to pay more for a more reliable source.

Any and all comments would be great!!

Thanks.
Score
0
February 25, 2012 7:36:21 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!