American Revolution rules for big battalions?

Last response: in Video Games
December 11, 2004 1:12:58 AM

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations here. I'd like to find a set of
wargaming rules for the American Revolution, that use a large number of
figures to represent each unit. Preferably something like 24 figures
per unit.

The rules should also be purpose-written for the American Revolution
and reflect the interesting and unique aspects of that conflict (e.g.
Continental marksmanship and mix of training levels, limited cavalry,
British morale, etc.). That is, when one plays the rules, one should
be able to tell that you're playing a battle set during the Revolution.

Actually, I'd say this latter notion is more important than using large
numbers of figures per unit, but I do prefer the panorama such large
units provide.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Will
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 3:50:29 AM

"British Grenadier" might be what you are after here. Although based
originally on the Napoleonic "General de Brigade" ruleset, they are
specifically designed for AWI, and definitely make it apparent "that
you're playing a battle set during the Revolution".

For an illustrated report of our recent game using these rules, go to
this page:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/skarlet/freemans.htm
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 4:06:09 AM

"British Grenadier" might be what you are after here. Although based
originally on the Napoleonic "General de Brigade" ruleset, they are
specifically designed for AWI, and definitely make it apparent "that
you're playing a battle set during the Revolution".

For an illustrated report of our recent game using these rules, go to
this page:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/skarlet/freemans.htm
December 11, 2004 7:37:59 PM

If I didn't think that this thread was a blatent advertisement for "British
Grenadier" I would suggest "The British are Coming" . Just double the width
of the stand and add a second rank.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 10:40:54 PM

> Any suggestions?

We play AWI using Redoubt's "Rebellion In The Colonies".

Plays fast, uses large units (20+ figures), caters for a large variety of
unit types (regulars/militia/indians/etc), and bonus/minuses for different
units (for morale/shooting/etc).

Jimi
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:29:40 AM

Mike Hillsgrove wrote:
> If I didn't think that this thread was a blatent advertisement for
"British
> Grenadier" I would suggest "The British are Coming" . Just double the
width
> of the stand and add a second rank.

Hi Mike,

Sounds like British Grenadier may be the rules I'm looking for then.
Though, I assure you, I've never heard of them before. I'm new to this
period at this level of play. I've been a skirmish wargamer in the AWI
for quite some time, but am looking to get into larger battles.
Anyway, thanks.

Will
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:15:22 PM

By "Big Battalions" do you mean doing a Monmouth or Yorktown where you
represent Brigades and British Regiments? What level of command are you
looking for?

British Grenadier plays well below the Army level. You will be doing
normally Brigade actions (although there are alot of these in the AWI).
More detail oriented than most.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 4:01:42 PM

Hi all,

Just a quick update. After reading some other threads here, and
following a few links, I've decided on "Guns of Liberty." It sounds
like good fun. While the unit sizes could be bigger (average infantry
unit seems to be something like 12-16 figures) for my tastes, the rules
apparently deliver on the period feel. That's more important to me.

I'll let you know what I think after I've tried them out a bit.
Thanks for all the help.

Will
December 17, 2004 9:37:15 PM

Hands down - a ruleset called 1776. I have a copy, but it is out of print. I
got mine on Ebay. Look around for it. It's excellent.

"Will" <wscarvie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for recommendations here. I'd like to find a set of
> wargaming rules for the American Revolution, that use a large number of
> figures to represent each unit. Preferably something like 24 figures
> per unit.
>
> The rules should also be purpose-written for the American Revolution
> and reflect the interesting and unique aspects of that conflict (e.g.
> Continental marksmanship and mix of training levels, limited cavalry,
> British morale, etc.). That is, when one plays the rules, one should
> be able to tell that you're playing a battle set during the Revolution.
>
> Actually, I'd say this latter notion is more important than using large
> numbers of figures per unit, but I do prefer the panorama such large
> units provide.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 12:18:54 AM

One more suggestion; 'Loose files and American scramble' is a rule set
published in a back number of Wargames Illustrated (can't remember which, but
it could be traced via the magazine index). It uses 24 to 36 man battalions and
places a lot of emphasis on morale and formation. Entertaining, frustrating and
well worth tracking down.

Andy
!