Sign in with
Your question

Are LCD's up to CRT reliability yet?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 8, 2008 7:20:49 PM

I have an older NEC 19" monitor. Or maybe it's 21". Not sure.

Anyways. I know I'm going to be moving around for a few months, kinda a never in the same place two nights sorta deal, and this thing is going to get ugly lugging around. Of course a nice flat pannel would be nice and lighter, not to mention I could start buying smaller desks (which I seem to go through like butter) since it leaves a smaller foot print.

Problem is, I am damn picky about my picture. I've seen a real nice bump in picture when I built this new system and installed the 8800 GTS 512. I basically really only watch movies and game (Crysis, Conan coming, Assassin's Creed etc).

I like the reliability of my CRT. Solid picture, every time. No funky angle problems, no bleeding, no dead pixels.

So, is there really any reason whatsoever to go LCD?

More about : lcd crt reliability

April 9, 2008 7:22:57 AM

Then you mean image quality, not reliability as per se (i.e. the ability to rely on something keep operating within its set parametres). The short answer to your question is a resounding "no". Keep your trusted CRT (Trinitron I assume); there is no LCD with the resolutions scaling, high refresh rates, zero-lag, real black, superior clarity (smaller dot pitch), no ghosting and colour vividness of a high end CRT. I am gutted that those damn LCDs have been forced to us.
Related resources
!