Graphical Bootloader (Windows XP + Linux)

Hi,
I don't like Linux bootloader and I want to get a third party one for my PC.
Free of charge would be the best. I also dislike System commander too.
Thanks
Jack
2 answers Last reply
More about graphical bootloader windows linux

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:09:11 +0800, Jacky Luk wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I don't like Linux bootloader and I want to get a third party one for my PC.
    > Free of charge would be the best. I also dislike System commander too.
    > Thanks
    > Jack

    Free - XOSL from http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm.
    Not free but a full set of tools including a boot manager - Bootit NG from
    http://www.bootitng.com/bootitng.html.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Jacky Luk wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I don't like Linux bootloader and I want to get a third party one for my PC.
    > Free of charge would be the best. I also dislike System commander too.
    > Thanks
    > Jack

    Windows XP can do it. It's just a bit more painful than Linux. I have
    one of my PC's set up that way. I am assuming from your statement that
    you already have the system set up with Linux using either GRUB or LILO
    as boot manager. First you will need to copy the Linux boot sector into
    a file which will need to reside on the booting partition of your
    Windows setup (C:\). If you have write access to a windows partition,
    then open a command window in Linux and change to that partition to do
    the following: from the command line in Linux, type the following command:
    dd if=/dev/hda of=linux.dsk bs=512 count=1

    If you don't have write access from Linux to a Windows partition (i.e.
    it is ntfs), then create the file on a floppy or if you have a Linux
    partition using ext2 or ext3 file system, use explore2fs from
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm to copy it once
    you have booted into Windows.

    Substitute for "/dev/hda" if your Linux is not booting from the first
    hard drive, and "linux.dsk" is the filename for the boot sector file.
    Restore your Windows boot sector. A way do do this is by booting off of
    a Win9x boot floppy and at the command prompt type: fdisk /mbr to
    restore the master boot record.

    Then boot into Windows XP. Once you have logged into Windows XP you
    need to edit the file "boot.ini" as follows: At the command prompt
    change to the root of c: (cd c:\ ENTER) type "attrib -h -r -s boot.ini"
    without the quotes. Then edit boot.ini in your favorite text editor
    (such as notepad) to add the following line at the end of the file:
    C:\linux.dsk="Linux" Make sure the first line in the file has a timeout
    long enough for you to select from the menu - Mine is set to 30 seconds
    "timeout=30".
    _Make_sure_you_don't_save_this_file_as_a_binary_using_Word!!!!

    After saving the file, type "attrib +h +r +s boot.ini" to restore the
    file's attributes. Now you are done, and the next time you boot you
    will have a text-based menu to choose either Windows or Linux.

    As you can see, this is somewhat painful. If you have access to the NT4
    toolkit, you can use "DSKPROBE.EXE" to copy the Linux boot sector from
    within Windows. Either that program or a similar utility is extremely
    handy to have on hand since you will need to re-copy the Linux boot
    sector every time you upgrade the kernel.

Linux Microsoft Windows XP