Sign in with
Your question
Closed

If anyone can help / Toms can ?

Last response: in Computer Brands
September 21, 2009 4:07:59 PM

Hi again, I have decided to build my new rig instead of buying another Dell. I am still reserching parts and cost for it ( hopefully will start in the next few weeks ).

But untill then I am still useing my XPS 710. My questions are; Is there a way to upgrade the motherboard ? I have heard that you can turn a ATX MB upside down.The other question is. Has anybody ever tryed to change the BIOS on one.

Its still a good pc,and plan on givinb it to my wife after my new build is complete

XPS 710
C2D e6600 2.4
768 gforce 8800 gtx
150 raptor HD
4 gigs of 667 ram
sound blaster sound card
XP

Thanks

More about : toms

September 21, 2009 9:15:57 PM

What do you mean 'turn it upside down? The case will either have it mounted vertical or horizontal (ports facing in, or up).

You can't change the BIOS, only upgrade if one is available for download.

Best solution

September 22, 2009 4:34:51 PM

geno777 said:
I have heard that you can turn a ATX MB upside down.
The other question is. Has anybody ever tryed to change the BIOS on one.

I think you may have meant rotate instead of upside down.
Try this - open up your case - picture an ATX motherboard - and figure out how it would work in your case.

BIOS update from Dell? Or a replacement BIOS from someone else besides Dell?
Related resources
September 22, 2009 7:16:39 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The part I talked about "upside down " was from a post I read about the XPS 730x. The 730x has the same case as the 710. Someone who had a 730x said it has a ATX MB put in upside down.The 710 has a BTX mb. Just thought that maybe someone had did some kind of mb upgrade.Dell says that I can put a XPS 720 mb in it, but thats not nuch of a upgradw.
t
September 22, 2009 7:26:12 PM

For the most part, you can put any motherboard that'll fit inside the case (mATX, ATX, or BTX). I gutted an old Dell machine (P3) and put a Gigabyte ATX board in it. You just have to figure out how much space you have.
January 28, 2012 2:10:58 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
January 28, 2012 2:11:24 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!